While I dont like posting things about Apple, I did find the projected growth chart included in this article interesting.

Tim

Tablets, according to the latest Gartner report, are continuing to surge in adoption. This year manufacturers have flooded the market by offering every size possible: 5, 7, 8.9 and 10-inch have all been produced. Apple has the iPad, Samsung has the Galaxy Tab, LG has the Optimus Pad, HP has/had the TouchPad, RIM has the PlayBook, Sony has the S1 and HTC has the Flyer� so many options to choose from. Gartner states that sales will increase this year to total 63.6 million units, up 261.4% from last year, and on pace to hit 326.3 million units by the end of 2015.

Apple has the lions share of the market, but those who have tablets running on Google�s Android OS are slowly taking a piece of the pie. The report says by the end of this year the iPad is estimated to take 73.4% market share, down almost 10% from last year. Making up the rest are all the other tablets to which Gartner says they do not �expect any other platforms to have more than 5 percent share of the tablet market in 2011″. In fact, the report suggests that tablets running on Android will only sell 11 million units this year, compared to the iPad at over 46 million. But there�s hope, even for RIM. Gartner suggests that by the end of 2015 RIM�s PlayBook, powered by QNX, will have sold 26 million units, Android with 116 million and Apple, still leading with 148 million units sold.

Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner, said �We expect Apple to maintain a market share lead throughout our forecast period by commanding more than 50 percent of the market until 2014. This is because Apple delivers a superior and unified user experience across its hardware, software and services. Unless competitors can respond with a similar approach, challenges to Apple�s position will be minimal.�

Gartner: Apple to continue tablet dominance until 2015 | MobileSyrup.com
    09-22-11 10:56 AM
    The reason for iPad dominance was really interesting :

"... This is because Apple delivers a superior and unified user experience across its hardware, software and services. Unless competitors can respond with a similar approach, challenges to Apple�s position will be minimal."

Can anyone spell "eco-system"?

RIM? hello RIM!!!

- R.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-22-11 12:27 PM
    The fact that they still think RIM will have 26 million QNX media tablets I find interesting. If they get to that point then I would think that RIM would be happy.
    09-22-11 12:39 PM
    So what happens in 2015? The iwatch takes over?

As far as I care apple can be dominate forever as long as there still are numbers 2, 3 and 4 to choose from. Have said it many times, I don't like apple. They make nice products but they are not for me.
    09-22-11 12:42 PM
    So what happens in 2015? The iwatch takes over?

As far as I care apple can be dominate forever as long as there still are numbers 2, 3 and 4 to choose from. Have said it many times, I don't like apple. They make nice products but they are not for me.
    I don't know maybe the iron will take over.
    09-22-11 12:44 PM
    Yes choice (competition) is good.
    I have bought and enjoyed a few Apple products, but I really do not like the iPhone at all. Tried both the 3G and 3GS.
    Here's a good reason not to buy anything Apple...
    Apple Board member Al Gore says "new iPhones coming out next month" | MobileSyrup.com
    Don't know what it is, but the guy is just creepy
    09-22-11 12:48 PM
    The fact that they still think RIM will have 26 million QNX media tablets I find interesting. If they get to that point then I would think that RIM would be happy.
    That..and the fact they have RIM down for 3 million tablets by the end of 2011 lol. Considering the latest estimates have about 200k sold..the only way RIM will reach those numbers is via fire sale HP style
    09-22-11 12:51 PM
    what about the MS stats... thats an ENORMOUS jump!!
    09-22-11 12:54 PM
    That..and the fact they have RIM down for 3 million tablets by the end of 2011 lol. Considering the latest estimates have about 200k sold..the only way RIM will reach those numbers is via fire sale HP style
    Maybe RIM should take a page from Wal-Mart or Crazy Eddie and use the PlayBook as a loss leader at $100 to generate a massive QNX user base.
    09-22-11 12:58 PM
    If they get 2.0 and BES integration out I could see there being a huge spike in sales, at least huge compared to what they have done so far, especially on business/government side. RIM should have had the BES/E-mail done right after FIPS and they could have possibly enjoyed some decent sales with FY2011 end of year funds that the US Federal government dumps at the end of the year. However I still expect a price slashing too in order to move units.
    09-22-11 12:58 PM
    I totally agree with the author's reasons for Apple continuing its dominance of the tablet mkt for the foreseeable future. For someone who has an iPhone, a Mac, an iPod Touch, the integration between products/software is just seamless. Give credit where credit is due. Although I love my BlackBerry phone, I have to admit I also love my iPad. I guess I'm not the norm, as I highly admire both RIM & Apple products. There's room for both in this world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 01:07 PM
    I totally agree with the author's reasons for Apple continuing its dominance of the tablet mkt for the foreseeable future. For someone who has an iPhone, a Mac, an iPod Touch, the integration between products/software is just seamless. Give credit where credit is due. Although I love my BlackBerry phone, I have to admit I also love my iPad. I guess I'm not the norm, as I highly admire both RIM & Apple products. There's room for both in this world.

True, although I guess it's the question of whether you want a closed or open eco-system for your products.

Ultimately, I remember seeing a quote from someone that said (at least of now) people don't want tablets, they want iPads. Will this change? Absolutely, but it's a question of when and whether the other current tablet makers can stay in the game long enough.
    09-22-11 01:32 PM
    Yes, you are right. Eric Schmidt also on the board of directors for Apple, and also very creepy.
    Eric Schmidt left the Apple board over two years ago.
    09-22-11 01:56 PM
    Windows 8 for tablets begs to differ. But then again a Windows 8 is a Tablet COMPUTER where as the iPad, Playbook, et all are just... Well I am not sure what they are supposed to be called since they have seemed to get lumped together when the iPad was introduced.

Still love my Playbook though.
    09-22-11 02:29 PM
    what about the MS stats... thats an ENORMOUS jump!!
    MS is making a computer though not an iPad style tablet.

The market is going to have to differentiate somehow.
    09-22-11 02:30 PM

The iPhone and iPad are both great products! They have some of the best hardware and software integration in the market - and they have earned their success and market position.

I have a Mac computer, Xoom and Playbook and a BB Bold 9930.

Not sure I agree that the iPad will dominate the Tablet - I think the Kindle could possibly kick them (you have to start playing with definitions in order to maintain the dominance), but I think another threat is having an actual Tablet Computer a-la Windows 8, especially if it end sup costing the same or less than the iPad.
    09-22-11 02:51 PM
    Yes choice (competition) is good.
    I have bought and enjoyed a few Apple products, but I really do not like the iPhone at all. Tried both the 3G and 3GS.
    Here's a good reason not to buy anything Apple...
    Apple Board member Al Gore says "new iPhones coming out next month" | MobileSyrup.com
    Don't know what it is, but the guy is just creepy
    Yeah, because Eric Schmidt and Jim Balsillie (RIM's co-CEO) aren't creepy at all. Right.
    09-22-11 03:03 PM
    The iPhone and iPad are both great products! They have some of the best hardware and software integration in the market - and they have earned their success and market position.

I have a Mac computer, Xoom and Playbook and a BB Bold 9930.

Not sure I agree that the iPad will dominate the Tablet - I think the Kindle could possibly kick them (you have to start playing with definitions in order to maintain the dominance), but I think another threat is having an actual Tablet Computer a-la Windows 8, especially if it end sup costing the same or less than the iPad.
    Motion Computing and Tablet Kiosk are close or already there.
    09-22-11 03:17 PM
    Yeah, because Eric Schmidt... aren't creepy at all. Right.
    Yes, you are right. Eric Schmidt also on the board of directors for Apple, and also very creepy.
    09-22-11 05:53 PM
    Eric Schmidt left the Apple board over two years ago.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/03/g...r-conflict-of/
    Last edited by Economist101; 09-22-11 at 06:02 PM.
    09-22-11 05:56 PM
    So why'd you bring up his name?
    09-22-11 06:08 PM
    So why'd you bring up his name?
    Probably for the same reason you brought up Al Gore, though I'd prefer the creepy "director-in-name-only" over the creepy chairman (Schmidt) or creepy co-CEO (Balsillie).
    09-22-11 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD