So, I went to the Verizon store with a broken 9650 and returned home with a brand new 9930! Here is how it went....

So, my 9650 was in an infinite reboot loop after updating an app yester, but my phone has physical damage so the Verizon store told me they couldn't replace it and I had to file an insurance claim through Asurion. Well, this is my work phone and I needed something right then and there. So, I called up Asurion from the Verizon store and asked if I could get a new 9650 from the store. The store rep overheard me ask that and told me they don't carry them any more. So, I went on with the conversation explaining what was wrong when the Asurion lady told me they don't carry the 9650 anymore and asked if it would be alright if they replace it with a 9930 "which is very similar to your current phone."

I couldn't believe this and said yes immediately. Anyways, I asked if there was any way I could get it right then and there from the store because I need this phone for work (which is 100% true), so she asked to speak to the store manager.

Anyways, the store was psyched (they sold a full price phone to Asurion) and I got my new 9930 for $100 and I'm still due for a new contract on October 21st

Anyways, if you have a broken 9650, go get it replaced NOW!
    09-22-11 10:00 AM
    that's cool, but be careful with the upgrade. My ex-wife had damage to her storm 1 a while back and the store didnt carry them anymore so they replaced it with a storm 2 and considered that an upgrade (without informing her) which renewed the NE2.
    09-22-11 10:36 AM
    I was talking to the guys in the store about it. Asurion actually gave them a credit card to charge the entire $540 or so on. This was basically bought out of contract and did not in any way affect my contract.

Thank you for the info though, that would have blown!
    09-22-11 10:40 AM
    Very cool. This is similar to those who had the 9630 and even some with a 8330 and got them replaced with the 9650. Enjoy your new phone!
    09-22-11 10:52 AM
    Very cool. This is similar to those who had the 9630 and even some with a 8330 and got them replaced with the 9650. Enjoy your new phone!
    The reason I had the 9650 was because I had a Tour and got it replaced with a 9650 .
    09-22-11 10:57 AM
    Does anyone still use the 9650?
    09-28-11 01:19 PM
    yup i do
    09-28-11 06:51 PM
    yup i do

I figured more people would be interested in tbis little tidbit.
    09-28-11 07:43 PM
    I figured more people would be interested in tbis little tidbit.

Yea but I'm on sprint and if I upgrade ill have to pay the extra $10 data fee and I'm cheap. Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    meistro likes this.
    09-28-11 08:23 PM
    The reason I had the 9650 was because I had a Tour and got it replaced with a 9650 .
    Same here, this isn't uncommon. When they ran out of Tours they replaced them with Bolds. Same situation, different models.

Of course, those who are under contract still. 9930 is nice, but not worth, imo, buying out of contract.
    09-29-11 07:16 AM
    Same here, this isn't uncommon. When they ran out of Tours they replaced them with Bolds. Same situation, different models.

Of course, those who are under contract still. 9930 is nice, but not worth, imo, buying out of contract.
    Exactly, my contract isn't up till August 2012 so I am sticking with the 9650 until then, unless something happens to it.
    09-29-11 07:52 AM
    any word yet if sprint is doing this upgrade? my 9650's keyboard is so bad i can barely read the keyboard anymore and the trackpad is starting to fail.
    09-30-11 05:58 AM
    any word yet if sprint is doing this upgrade? my 9650's keyboard is so bad i can barely read the keyboard anymore and the trackpad is starting to fail.
    If and when they run out of 9650s; take yours in, or call CS, and try to get it replaced. That's the only way to know for sure.
    09-30-11 07:03 AM
    wow, this is great to hear lol....makes me wanna be more "careless" with my Blackberry hehe
    dtrue05 likes this.
    10-01-11 01:35 AM
    so, I should, "accidentally" drop my 9650 in the toliet now, right? LOL
    10-01-11 08:44 AM
    I guess I can remove my Otterbox now and hope for the worst....
    10-01-11 10:44 AM
    If and when they run out of 9650s; take yours in, or call CS, and try to get it replaced. That's the only way to know for sure.
    Sprint is definitely NOT doing this. I'm on Tour #4 in 2 weeks, and I had to beg them to replace my 9630 with a 9650 and even that is taking a while.
    10-02-11 02:15 AM
    Sprint is definitely NOT doing this. I'm on Tour #4 in 2 weeks, and I had to beg them to replace my 9630 with a 9650 and even that is taking a while.
    Thanks for the info. I guess I can put my Otterbox back on and wait for the QNX line up
    10-02-11 12:39 PM
    i can verify this as well. not sure if it's common knowledge but sprint doesn't recognize the paint chips as a defect, they say it's cosmetic (how in the **** is a keyboard functional if you can't read the friggin keys?). when i went in, i cited the fact that the trackpad works half the time, keyboard is becoming unreadable, and wifi doesn't stay connected. all they did was backup, wipe and restore the same os i had on it. they didn't even wipe and reload the os. the pita about it was when he restored, the only thing that he got back on there was the third party apps. i had to restore my own contacts and ALL of my settings. not cool if i happened to be out of town, but i spent the next few hours running errands with a phone that was almost useless. anyways, theres my rant. i called customer service to complain and all they did was refer me to asurion. i'm sorry but a phone that is less than a year old that has that much crap going on with it is ridiculous, and now sprint wants me to pay asurion for a refurb? what the **** do i have tep for if all they're going to do is f*ck up my phone even more?
    10-02-11 12:48 PM
    i can verify this as well. not sure if it's common knowledge but sprint doesn't recognize the paint chips as a defect, they say it's cosmetic (how in the **** is a keyboard functional if you can't read the friggin keys?). when i went in, i cited the fact that the trackpad works half the time, keyboard is becoming unreadable, and wifi doesn't stay connected. all they did was backup, wipe and restore the same os i had on it. they didn't even wipe and reload the os. the pita about it was when he restored, the only thing that he got back on there was the third party apps. i had to restore my own contacts and ALL of my settings. not cool if i happened to be out of town, but i spent the next few hours running errands with a phone that was almost useless. anyways, theres my rant. i called customer service to complain and all they did was refer me to asurion. i'm sorry but a phone that is less than a year old that has that much crap going on with it is ridiculous, and now sprint wants me to pay asurion for a refurb? what the **** do i have tep for if all they're going to do is f*ck up my phone even more?
    If your phone was new less than a year ago, then it should still have the warranty from RIM through Sprint. If you've had the phone replaced since purchasing it, then the warranty should still cover the replacement device as long as the original phone was purchased less than a year ago. Any replacement should have warranty coverage for 90 days or the duration of the factory warranty.

I'd suggest contacting Sprint CS and complain specifically about the trackpad and the WiFi issues. Forget the keyboard paint problem-- you're not going to get any sympathy from Sprint about the paint coming from the keyboards. If it's any help, Verizon says the same thing about the keyboard paint.

At any rate, since the store reloaded your OS, the next step should be for Sprint to replace the phone under warranty. Your TEP should cover that if the phone is more than a year old. If there are signs of what they call hard use or damage, then they'll send you to Asurion.
    10-02-11 02:34 PM
    Last week my bold 9650 started to constantly reboot, so I called asurion for them to replace it because the phone was a replacement they had given me after I lost my phone to water damage.......... They overnighted me another 9650 so I just went on and ordered the 9930 today. Ful retail
    10-04-11 01:57 AM
    FYI, My wife just had to get her 9650 replaced by Asurion and the sent her a 9650 today.
    10-04-11 09:10 AM
    If you have Sprint Total Protection/Equipment Replacement, the keyboard and trackpad issue(s) will be covered, it is advertised to cover normal wear.

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...TNAV=SU:SP:MVT

Last Updated: Aug 24, 2011

The Equipment Service & Repair Program covers problems that result from normal wear and tear or mechanical and electrical failure.

Liquid, fire and lightning damage or damage beyond repair are not covered under the Equipment Service & Repair Program. These types of issues are covered by the Equipment Replacement Program.
    Last edited by bustermin; 10-04-11 at 09:26 AM.
    10-04-11 09:14 AM
    LOL, you're still using a Tour??????
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 10-06-11 at 07:44 AM.
    10-04-11 07:18 PM
    Well I figured I would try and see if this works, to my surprise, I am actually getting the 9930, it's on its way I currently have sprint, on my 2nd bold 9650 and now onto the Bold 9930 tomorrow!
    10-05-11 08:47 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD