Here's a Canadian university initiative to build a PlayBook-powered moon rover and eventually land it onto the moon. It looks pretty cool. They're taking donations if you feel an urge of BlackBerry pride .

PlayBook Moon Landing

RIMPIRE STRIKES BACK!

UPDATE: Looking for CrackBerry Nation to help design a badge for the mission. Badges for space missions usually look like the ones in the link here: http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/teams
    The designer of the badge voted as the fan-favourite will have their name honoured on the website forever
    Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pla...88547184494175

CrackBerry Nation rules!
    Last edited by limh5; 09-28-11 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Update
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-21-11 06:55 PM
    QNX powered rover. I doubt very much if there will be a Playbook in orbit for some time.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    09-21-11 07:11 PM
    Never mind sending a Playbook to the moon, what about calendar, contacts and email?
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    09-21-11 08:13 PM
    Although I agree with trying to establish Canada as a leader in tech...I don't think the Playbook itself should go to the moon, lol. Who's gonna swipe the bezel? The robot would find it difficult to press the small power button. lol....but seriously...maybe send the Playbook to the International Space Station. Much cheaper, easier, and people can actually use it!

You'd need to send up a BB to bridge to as well if you want your messages too! Bahahah...
    metz9444 likes this.
    09-21-11 08:59 PM
    Never mind sending a Playbook to the moon, what about calendar, contacts and email?
    Humor like this is very appreciated! right on(i am not being a smart a$$--i am for real)! Okay, seriously how bout some PIM apps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-11 09:57 PM
    Although I agree with trying to establish Canada as a leader in tech...I don't think the Playbook itself should go to the moon, lol. Who's gonna swipe the bezel? The robot would find it difficult to press the small power button. lol....but seriously...maybe send the Playbook to the International Space Station. Much cheaper, easier, and people can actually use it!

You'd need to send up a BB to bridge to as well if you want your messages too! Bahahah...
    Haha I liked that. Yes the touch-screen will not be taken advantage of. But the PlayBook will be used to power the rover.
    Back-up option is to have a microprocessor w/ QNX embedded powering the rover, w/ the PlayBook as the front and rear camera and video camera.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-21-11 09:59 PM
    Uhhh...

Part-Time Scientists looking to take QNX to the moon | CrackBerry.com

So a new team is trying to do something? Cool.
    09-21-11 11:05 PM
    But then again, you're pessimistic about anything RIM. :roll eyes:
    I guess I might be a little bitter too if I was stuck with a 9650.

QNX is entered into a contest with other entities for a chance to put a rover on the moon. No Playbook was mentioned just the custom QNX OS.
    This was released a couple of weeks ago.

As for my 9650 I like it. I will not use the evil ATT as the coverage blows in this area as well as Verizons. USCC has the best coverage in my area and is number one in customer satisfaction.
    But they only have the Touch Torch, the 9650 and the curve 3G. Since this is the best full keyboard BB they carry its the one I have.
    Does what I need it to do along with my PB.

And yes I am pessimistic about RIM. My stock is worthless and I am not the only one. I hope RIM can get back in the game but have strong reservations while Jim and Mike are still running the show.

So please roll your eyes elsewhere until you actually have skin in the game.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-22-11 at 12:02 AM.
    09-21-11 11:59 PM
    Is this a joke? Cause that's seriously the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

First of all, a Playbook should be uniquely Canadian? It's built in Taiwan, all the brains of it: CPU and radio is American, and the screen is probably built in China.

Brilliant: Let's send something to the moon to celebrate and promote the high tech sector in Canada, even though the only "Canadian" part is the software that runs on it.

Secondly: Controling a moon rover is a very simple job. A tiny 50 cent CPU could do it. Heck, spend a dollar or two on it, and you can use an IC that's running (Canadian) QNX. Now an IC like that weighs a couple of grams, where as a Playbook ways around half a kilo. You don't need to be a rocket scientist, to figure out that it's a massive waste of money and rockets to send 500 grams of unnecessary weight to the moon.
    09-22-11 12:14 AM

What I'd like to know is who's going to be watching the display? Maybe we could pipe Dancing with the Stars up there for the Martians to watch.

Just how far can wifi be transmitted? Will this require the 4G version?
    I can't even get it from my office to my living room let alone mars. What do they plan to control it with?Bluetooth, USB?
    Maybe some cool robot control drivers and apps could come out of this
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-22-11 at 01:02 AM.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-22-11 12:46 AM
    If the rover they are building is as unfinished as the Playbook, then they will essentially be sending two pieces of space junk into the atmosphere.

09-22-11 04:04 AM
    Is this a joke? Cause that's seriously the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

First of all, a Playbook should be uniquely Canadian? It's built in Taiwan, all the brains of it: CPU and radio is American, and the screen is probably built in China.
    In today's world, a lot of manufacturing is done outside North America. The clothes you're wearing right now are probably made in Asia. What's worth the most amount of value (and money) is where the product was DESIGNED. That's the stage that requires the most knowledge and skills. Mass producing something isn't the difficult part. Thus, the PlayBook is as Canadian as it gets. Welcome to the 21st century.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-22-11 05:40 AM
    By that logic, the Asian clothes someone is wearing were probably designed in the united states making them American right?

09-22-11 05:54 AM
    Haha I liked that. Yes the touch-screen will not be taken advantage of. But the PlayBook will be used to power the rover.
    Back-up option is to have a microprocessor w/ QNX embedded powering the rover, w/ the PlayBook as the front and rear camera and video camera.
    They better put some good light or flash on it or the pics/video will be grainy.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-22-11 06:58 AM
    Maybe they can stick some solar panels on the back and connect it to the charging ports! Playbook 4 life...literally. Just imagine an astronaut trying to check his emails from NASA, through bridge, but he forgot his phone at home. "Houston, we have a problem" LOL.

He's trying to update to OS 2.0 but the data connection is too slow and it stalls at 99%, then he's playing dead space on the PB, and gets scared and has nightmares. Or maybe he's BBMing NASA
    Astronaut: "I cann haz muun rox plz?"
    NASA: "No."
    Astronaut: " Whatevs, dis ting no spel chex maan...and Bing mapz iss garbagge, no gps lok."
    Buzz_Dengue and KQ9 like this.
    09-22-11 07:40 AM
    Here's a Canadian university initiative to build a PlayBook-powered moon rover and eventually land it onto the moon. It looks pretty cool. Click "Like" to spread it. They're taking donations if you feel an urge of BlackBerry pride .

PlayBook Moon Landing

RIMPIRE STRIKES BACK!
    Might as well do something with them. They have a lot just sitting around in a warehouse not being used.
    09-22-11 09:12 AM
    Wall-e enhanced edition?

09-22-11 02:09 PM
    Well QNX already powers Rovers so why not a Moon Rover. Wont be as cool as the Hummer one though. That thing was awesome. Driving offroad in the most capable 4x4 on earth. Ah lets conquer then moon now. lol

As for whereever the tech is made, design, manufactured.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/6QihBIewyrY
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 09-22-11 at 02:57 PM.
    09-22-11 02:53 PM
    QNX is entered into a contest with other entities for a chance to put a rover on the moon. No Playbook was mentioned just the custom QNX OS.
    This was released a couple of weeks ago.
    This is inspired by that competition, however is not part of it.

Mission

Stage 1: Build moon rover powered by BlackBerry PlayBook
    Stage 2: Land rover onto the moon
    People on Earth send rover BBM messages, and it replies

Our mission is to inspire Canada the way John F Kennedy inspired the U.S. with the moon landings in the 1960's. Our longer-term goal is to make Canada a leader in high-tech in the 21st century.

This is a community project that aims to build a moon rover powered by Canadian technology (BlackBerry PlayBook) and land it on the moon. It was inspired by the Lunar X competition.

PlayBook Moon Landing
    09-22-11 10:10 PM
    Need native SDK first...
    09-22-11 10:43 PM
    Need native SDK first...
    Native SDK is in closed Beta. I think only a handful of companies got it.

UPDATE on Rover: Please click "Like" on the Facebook Page. At 9 Likes right now, need to get to 25 to unlock features from Facebook. Thanks!

PlayBook Moon Landing | Facebook

Let's put a BlackBerry on the Moon!
    CrackBerry Nation RTW! (i hope the non-engineers get it )
    Last edited by limh5; 09-25-11 at 11:38 AM.
    09-25-11 09:43 AM
    Native SDK is in closed Beta. I think only a handful of companies got it.

UPDATE on Rover: Please click "Like" on the Facebook Page. At 9 Likes right now, need to get to 25 to unlock features from Facebook. Thanks!

PlayBook Moon Landing | Facebook

Let's put a BlackBerry on the Moon!
    CrackBerry Nation RTW! (i hope the non-engineers get it )
    You can apply for access to the SDK, see here.
    09-25-11 05:11 PM
    You guys have mis read this article, they are going to use all the unsold inventory to stack end to end and the rover will use them as a 'Bridge'...

Rim has finally figured out what 'Bridges' are for...

09-25-11 06:18 PM
    Need native SDK first...
    Need alien SDK...
    09-25-11 06:51 PM
    Last Time I did research, Americans Never Made it to the Moon ummm it was a Lie just like 911 smh

09-25-11 07:44 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD