View Poll Results: Do you want to be an OS2.0 Beta Tester?

Voters
358. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Sign me up! I'll sign any NDA that you give me!

339 94.69%
  • No. I don't want to use beta software.

19 5.31%
    Many of us have been waiting with different degrees of patience for the features that we want and expect to come to Playbook.

It is clear from some posts here that some people have had access to beta versions of the OS 2.0 software.

The people who post here on Crackberry are the faithful, whether we are entirely happy with Playbook as it is or not. We don't want to wait any longer. We would rather have access to buggy beta software than continue to use the Playbook as it is.

So, vote your mind. Would you be willing to be an OS 2.0 beta tester even if that means that you had to agree to certain conditions like an NDA?

I think that a semi-open beta test would give use early adopters a real shot in the arm.

Speak your mind!
    09-20-11 07:46 AM
    Oh yeah I would love this. I have always been all about betas, not just on my BB but pretty much any kind of software. I enjoy trying out new things and looking for bugs. I'd be overjoyed to get the 2.0 beta.
    09-20-11 07:53 AM
    Sadly it seems that buying the playbook has been a beta test.
    Guyzer, daniekl, ck1223 and 6 others like this.
    09-20-11 08:12 AM
    Lol so far 19 for yes, 0 for no
    09-20-11 08:29 AM
    We finally found something everyone can agree on!
    09-20-11 08:31 AM
    Just roll it out when it's ready. If others want to be beta testers, great. Go for it.
    dave1701 likes this.
    09-20-11 08:38 AM
    I'm tired of being a playbook beta tester! Its been what? 5 months of it? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    nova_8, LuayS and KQ9 like this.
    09-20-11 08:40 AM
    Playing with the leaked Android Player was the most fun that I had with the Playbook so far. A beta 2.0 would be even better.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    09-20-11 08:49 AM
    I would sign up, but really it wouldn't be worth it, as by the time I had the time to really test it it would be released,

It took me 10 days to find the time to install the Android Player Leak, and then when I was about to, I ended up going boating thanks to an "urgent" bbm

I want this new software, but in reality until it addresses me having multiple excel windows open, and gives me system wide Autotext it wont be something I'll be hugely excited about
    09-20-11 08:55 AM
    I am spanking my corp RIM contacts to get me a 2.0 playbook shipped ASAP
    09-20-11 09:18 AM
    Voted yes ...
    But beta is beta, not for everyday use.
    What would be nice is to have a "in hand even not finished" OS 2.0 to stop speculations and expose what is real and what is fantasy. People need this.

BTW: Are you serious about NDA ? mouhahahahahahaha ... C'mon
    09-20-11 09:31 AM
    I would love to test the beta version of any RIM product, but that's just me; I like trying things out and finding bugs/problems and reporting them. I also like giving my point of view on something if that mean that the end user's experience with the product is a better experience.

*** On a side note, I carry my Playbook around with me ALL THE TIME. So much that I've found myself giving little demos here and there to whom ever asks about it. I average about 10 people per week (at work, the park, the metro, heck even in line at the grocery store) who are curious enough to ask me if it's an iPad or whatever. I then tell them about it and walk them through a few features and I always get the same "WOW" (usually when I show them a video I shot on the PB of the ocean in the Canadian maritimes). All this to say, passion breads excitement. Despite it's missing features I'm as excited today as I was when I firt got my Playbook. I just wish there was a way to spread this "en masse" to the public. I'm really hoping 2.0 brings this feeling to all the jaded PB users and satisfied users alike. Okay I'm going off topic... I just love my Playbook!!!
    bbfan1040, Guyzer and rleo25 like this.
    09-20-11 10:12 AM
    We would rather have access to buggy beta software than continue to use the Playbook as it is.
    No you wouldn't, it would just be something new for people to complain about. Before PB launched everyone was "give us the PB, even if it's buggy! We want it now!" Then everyone got it and started complaining about how buggy and unfinished it is. Nothing would change except the version number. We'd have PB b!tch-fest 2.0.

The bottom line is that nobody wants an "unfinished" product. You think you do, but once you get it and find out what's not working yet, you'll be just as disappointed as you are now. Let them finish it, be patient and be glad that it's not going the way of HP tablets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    KRol and Truckswain like this.
    09-20-11 11:04 AM
    We are Crackberry... blackberry users and ABUSERS!
    09-20-11 11:15 AM
    Many of us have been waiting with different degrees of patience for the features that we want and expect to come to Playbook.

It is clear from some posts here that some people have had access to beta versions of the OS 2.0 software.

The people who post here on Crackberry are the faithful, whether we are entirely happy with Playbook as it is or not. We don't want to wait any longer. We would rather have access to buggy beta software than continue to use the Playbook as it is.

So, vote your mind. Would you be willing to be an OS 2.0 beta tester even if that means that you had to agree to certain conditions like an NDA?

I think that a semi-open beta test would give use early adopters a real shot in the arm.

Speak your mind!
    This is kind of funny.

There has been nothing but complaining and RIM bashing for releasing the beta software called 1.X.X, it nearly destroyed the company.
    Now we want more to complain about? God forbid they give us beta software!!

Is RIM insane?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result

The colloquialism "Patience is a virtue" didn't come into voque for no reason.
    How about consider 1.X.X to be your beta and just hold on to your panties...

I'm sure they already have their NDA bearing beta testers, how many more do they need?
    If all Playbook owners who wish to are going to sign an NDA it may as well be a release.

What they should do if they want global beta testing, is offer an NCA -
    No Complaining Allowed!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-20-11 at 02:31 PM.
    Truckswain likes this.
    09-20-11 11:27 AM
    i got it on apr 19th and then dled andriod player i think i can handle some two-oh action
    09-20-11 11:28 AM
    This was more relevant a couple months ago but I'd love a stab at beta software!
    09-20-11 11:29 AM
    Just a feeling, but on the RIM Beta Zone forums a "Blackberry Project Manager", John, has been posting the last couple of days in certain threads that are asking for a beta OS. He's been making comments like "Good things come to those who wait, you know " (in a BetaOS thread) and "Howdy, I can't comment on that one, sorry! John" (this in a Sept 22nd rumor thread. Why comment then?)

I have a feeling that a beta will be announced pretty soon. Again, just a feeling (or maybe wishful thinking) based on increased activity from RIM staff on the BetaZone boards.
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-20-11 at 11:37 AM.
    09-20-11 11:34 AM
    How many votes do we need to get this implemented?
    09-20-11 11:46 AM
    Don't know about you, but I paid 400 bucks (took advantage of the staples $100 offer) to beta test the Playbook.

The least they can do is to let us in on it. Although a few more eons of waiting won't kill us...
    09-20-11 12:02 PM
    Assuming that most of you use your Playbooks on a regular basis instead of as a tinkering toy, why would you want to compromise the stability of your device (especially with use-at-your-own-risk support)? If you had a second 'dev' Playbook that you could just wipe at will without knowing how backup and restore would function with the beta, then maybe.

Given that RIM has gone to great lengths to ensure that all active Playbooks are up to the most recent OS, why would they fragment their method of delivery? By the time they worked out the details of delivering certain people a beta version, 2.0 will be out.

RIM apparently doesn't like the idea of people having a local copy of an OS, so aside from needing to track beta users by PIN or BBID to decide which OS to deliver, you'd have no way to go back if you encounter serious issues. I consider my Playbook a production device that I rely on. I think I can wait for the final 2.0.
    lovemyplaybook likes this.
    09-20-11 12:11 PM
    but what's really the point here? no doubt rim pays some attention to the goings on here but does any right thinking person believe some online, grassroots effort will persuade them to release os2.0 any earlier? really?
    09-20-11 01:10 PM
    This is kind of funny.

There has been nothing but complaining and RIM bashing for releasing the beta software called 1.X.X, it nearly destroyed the company.
    Now we want more to complain about? God forbid they give us beta software!!

Is RIM insane?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result

The colloquialism "Patience is a virtue" didn't come into voque for no reason.
    How about consider 1.X.X to be your beta and just hold on to your panties...

I'm sure they already have their NDA bearing beta testers, how many more do they need?
    If everyone all Playgbook owners who wish to are going to sign an NDA it may as well be a release.

What they should do if they want global beta testing, is offer an NCA -
    No Complaining Allowed!
    You can say what you want but if RIM gave me access to a beta, I would keep my mouth shut. When I used the leaked Android Player, I also kept my mouth other than describing how the Player worked because it was a pre-release leak.

NDA means keep your mouth shut.

I know. You don't want any 2.0 update because Playbook is perfect the way it is.
    09-20-11 01:22 PM
    You can say what you want but if RIM gave me access to a beta, I would keep my mouth shut. When I used the leaked Android Player, I also kept my mouth other than describing how the Player worked because it was a pre-release leak.

NDA means keep your mouth shut.

I know. You don't want any 2.0 update because Playbook is perfect the way it is.
    Don't put words in my mouth. I'm just as anxious as anyone for it, I just prefer they take the time they need to get it right.

I mean fine, release a beta copy for everyone, but I do insist on the NCA.
    No Complaining Allowed.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-20-11 at 02:41 PM.
    09-20-11 02:39 PM
    it wont matter whether you get it in "beta" stage or not. When its officially out its still going to have bugs. All RIMs software does. The entire playbook is a beta product for the eventually QNX phones. I really hope they have many of the bugs worked out for the phones so when i get one i dont go through the same crap as people have with the PB thus far.
    09-20-11 05:34 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD