For those who don't know, Jim Flaherty is the Canadian Minister of Finance.

TheRecord - Good days ahead for RIM, Flaherty says

Here's the article for those who don't want to click on the link...
    Good days ahead for RIM, Flaherty says

WATERLOO � Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty refused to be drawn into a debate about the performance of Research In Motion on Friday.

At a symposium on innovation at the Perimeter Institute, the minister was asked what might happen to Waterloo Region, the local technology community and institutions like the Perimeter Institute if RIM continues on a slow and steady decline.

�I don�t accept the proposition you�re putting forward,� Flaherty responded, as RIM�s founder and co-chief executive officer Mike Lazaridis watched from the audience.

�There will continue to be substantial accomplishments by RIM and the other important and innovative Canadian industries that we have,� Flaherty said.

The government will also continue to support institutions like the Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics, he said, noting that Lazaridis has donated a �substantial� portion of his own money to establish the research facility.

�There is a role for government to support pure research in this country,� Flaherty said.

Investors punished RIM on Friday � wiping out $3 billion of its stock value � after the BlackBerry maker reported lower device sales and weaker profits and analysts questioned its consumer appeal.

Shares in the company closed down 20 per cent � falling $5.90 to $23.50 with more than 9.8 million shares changing hands on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and more than 100 million on the Nasdaq market.

As a result, RIM�s market capitalization fell to about $12.3 billion.

The stock selloff came a day after RIM announced its second quarter profit dropped 58 per cent to $329 million US. Its revenue fell 15 per cent to $4.2 billion US, missing analysts� expectations.
    09-19-11 10:53 PM
    Yeah but at the same time a Canadian government official is not going to say that a Canadian company that employs so many Canadians is doing bad or anything that could further jeopardize them. Imagine if Tim Geithner said that cars made by the big 3 US auto companies suck. Would never happen. He has to cheer for the company, its good politics and business.

I don't think RIM is in as much trouble as the stock market thinks that it is in, but a Canadian politician's assessment on the company doesn't have much worth IMHO.
    09-20-11 06:49 AM
    Flaherty responded, as RIM�s founder and co-chief executive officer Mike Lazaridis watched from the audience.

Especially not with Lazaridis eyeing in

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-11 07:00 AM
    Definitely one of the most biased articles I could have imagined reading.
    09-20-11 07:24 AM
    This isn't news. It's just stupidness.
    09-20-11 08:24 AM
    This isn't news. It's just stupidness.
    It came from a news site.
    If you don't like it, move on.

Jim Flaherty knows money. The Canadian government has been doing pretty well during these hard economic times.
    09-20-11 08:42 PM

Jim Flaherty knows money. The Canadian government has been doing pretty well during these hard economic times.
    Thanks to PAUL MARTIN, but I guess that's another story...
    lorax1284 likes this.
    09-20-11 08:49 PM
    It's actually nice for Jim Flaherty to say that, but his actions don't add up. In the G20 convention they should have been pushing companies like RIM hard, but instead they built a fake lake and put maple syrup in everyone's gift bag. When the leaders were exchanging gifts Harper should have given everyone a BlackBerry instead a bar of Canadian gold. Instead of giving Obama small trinkets (like that case of Molson Canadian (yuck!)), why not give him a 9900 with the presidential seal on the back? Harper and Obama are meeting next month, there still is time to get this done...

Think what you may of Dalton McGuinty - the Premier of Ontario - but in my mind he gets it right. When foreign leaders or other VIPs come to visit he gives them BlackBerries as gifts. For example, when William and Kate came to Canada he gave them 'his & her's' BlackBerries, adorned with the royal seal, which I have heard they actually use. This is how you promote local innovation, not just by saying nice words.
    Last edited by SharpieFiend; 09-20-11 at 09:45 PM.
    09-20-11 09:41 PM
    Q2? Of course Q2 was crap. One tablet cannot a quarter make. We all know they were down. I'd expect Q3 will show a bump since we have some new devices on the market. We already knew Q2 was gonna suck. Getting that confirmed was inevitable.

Q3 isn't going to be a 'grand' indicator , but if they make progress, that shod give us a hint of what may be in store.

09-20-11 11:44 PM
    It's actually nice for Jim Flaherty to say that, but his actions don't add up. In the G20 convention they should have been pushing companies like RIM hard, but instead they built a fake lake and put maple syrup in everyone's gift bag. When the leaders were exchanging gifts Harper should have given everyone a BlackBerry instead a bar of Canadian gold. Instead of giving Obama small trinkets (like that case of Molson Canadian (yuck!)), why not give him a 9900 with the presidential seal on the back? Harper and Obama are meeting next month, there still is time to get this done...

Think what you may of Dalton McGuinty - the Premier of Ontario - but in my mind he gets it right. When foreign leaders or other VIPs come to visit he gives them BlackBerries as gifts. For example, when William and Kate came to Canada he gave them 'his & her's' BlackBerries, adorned with the royal seal, which I have heard they actually use. This is how you promote local innovation, not just by saying nice words.
    I had no idea about the BlackBerry gifting. That's an awesome idea.

09-21-11 12:14 AM
    The guy is Canadian, what do you expect him to say?

In your "gut" do you feel that QNX is going to make RIM what it used to be?

Sorry but my gut is just queasy thinking about their hopes placed on QNX. RIM's Playbook is not flying off the shelves. More store are cutting prices to clear their old inventory.

It is all sad.
    09-21-11 06:46 AM
    QNX will NOT make RIM what it used to be... QNX is for targeting Android & iOS users. Its more "fun" and "cool" for games and such - as cool as I think it might be, i have a bad feeling it is not going to catch on. Especially if they dont do push email!
    heres the store clerk and a customer...

Clerk: "Heres the new QNX bb phone"
    Cust: "Why should I get that?"
    Clerk "Its cool... and it has BBM, and......... it can play android apps"
    Cust: "Why not just get an android phone?"
    Clerk "because of BBM?"
    Cust: "Well.. what about apps... are there lots to choose from?"
    Clerk: "Well.....not yet...."

just saying it seems like BB's list of features that sets it apart is getting thinner and thinner.....
    fingers crossed I am wrong.
    09-21-11 06:57 AM
    It came from a news site.
    If you don't like it, move on.

It's kinda like saying "I bought these vitamins cuz according to a survery done by the ppl who make them, they are the best!"
    09-21-11 09:49 AM
    SharpieFiend - good one. Paul Martin was/is a joke, and you are somehow defending what Dalton has done to Ontario? G20 was a success in the eyes of the world, and because of stances by the harper Government, billions of dollars a year are being saved. (Bank tax)
    We have every country praising Canada as a leader in economic reform.Using Crackberry to promote liberalism - your a joke.
    Guess what? Canadians saw beyond your complaining and elected a Conservative majority. You lost. And the people will speak again on October 6th. You lose again.
    Your a typical liberal - you can only complain but offer no real solution.
    Well done Flaherty!
    09-21-11 09:57 AM
    QNX will NOT make RIM what it used to be... QNX is for targeting Android & iOS users. Its more "fun" and "cool" for games and such - as cool as I think it might be, i have a bad feeling it is not going to catch on. Especially if they dont do push email!
    heres the store clerk and a customer...

Clerk: "Heres the new QNX bb phone"
    Cust: "Why should I get that?"
    Clerk "Its cool... and it has BBM, and......... it can play android apps"
    Cust: "Why not just get an android phone?"
    Clerk "because of BBM?"
    Cust: "Well.. what about apps... are there lots to choose from?"
    Clerk: "Well.....not yet...."

just saying it seems like BB's list of features that sets it apart is getting thinner and thinner.....
    fingers crossed I am wrong.

I don't disagree but don't agree

Clerk: Here is the New BB! it runs QNX
    Cust: Oh a BB, I heard from my friends brother that BB went out of business!
    Clerk: No this is the New BB with QNX they made changes!
    Cust: What makes this QueNix so good? does it have lots of apps?
    Clerk: well it has BBM & you can use some Android app
    Cust: what ones?
    Clerk: well that's hard to say.
    Cust: so if I buy an Android phone can I use all Android apps?
    Clerk: Ummm no, that's hard to say
    Cust: I'm gonna buy an iPhone
    Clerk: I'll ring it up.

RIM still WILL NOT WIN in a App battle, but what RIM's chances are is that they can get enough apps that wheh Customer asks about App XYZ they saw on TV or their Friend is using on their phone, that the Clerk can say, Yes this phone has it.

it wont be about App quantities in 2012/2013, it will be about specific apps, like it was about specific softwares in the 80's on Desktops.
    09-21-11 10:03 AM
    We have every country praising Canada as a leader in economic reform.Using Crackberry to promote liberalism - your a joke.
    It's "you're."

Guess what? Canadians saw beyond your complaining and elected a Conservative majority. You lost. And the people will speak again on October 6th. You lose again.
    Wow. You really seem to be enjoying yourself. When did Canadians begin importing political incivility?

It's "you're," again. Just for future reference, when you decide to start ranting against commenters, calling names and making pronouncements, you might consider first learning the difference between "your" and "you're."
    09-21-11 10:05 AM
    Wow. You really seem to be enjoying yourself. When did Canadians begin importing political incivility?

"
    Ontario Circa 1995ish we started importing political incivility from the US

Federally I'd say it was more around 2000 we started seeing more of it.

Politics is much more about bashing the other guy than promoting yourself in Canada now much like the US. it is sad.
    09-21-11 10:17 AM
    It's "you're," again. Just for future reference, when you decide to start ranting against commenters, calling names and making pronouncements, you might consider first learning the difference between "your" and "you're."
    Its a grate point! Their is always people unwitting to except the common rules of gramar. More then anything its just annoying. They just ought too study a little farther. imho
    09-21-11 10:35 AM
    NoThInG dRovEs mE mOrE CrASy
    09-22-11 06:22 AM
    SharpieFiend - good one. Paul Martin was/is a joke, and you are somehow defending what Dalton has done to Ontario? G20 was a success in the eyes of the world, and because of stances by the harper Government, billions of dollars a year are being saved. (Bank tax)
    Well done Flaherty!
    I am certainly not interested in reading gross sweeping generalization assumptions from you about other people on this site. The need to start some off topic BS debate about governmental politics is disturbing, and the tone of that writing is childish. Maybe you're just 2ntense for me. Or maybe your anger comes from a lack of knowledge about issues you're under educated about? See how that works, I made an assumption about you based on 1 comment you made. I'm sure you're thinking "this person knows nothing about me" that's how that works its dumb, making personal attacks is dumb and I'm pretty tired of reading it here. Make a blog and pretend like someone somewhere else cares about it.

09-22-11 06:40 AM
    Investors are frantic and I have been watching the news oddly to see what's up. It's kinda fun to see, but in all seriousness, it's not fun for those losing money from it. It's nice that rim has some positives. I'm pleased to hear it.

09-22-11 01:58 PM
    This is still a timely topic. Just last night my nephew, a university student who has been a BB fan since high school, announced he was shopping for a new phone, and would probably go iPhone. His longtime girlfriend has one. Most of his friends have one. Only some of us still use BBs. One thing was essential to him, BBM. But if he stays BB, or goes android or ios, he will switch it all to Liveprofile. It pushes, it does the checkmark, delivered and read indicators. It works on all three systems.
    I couldn't argue with him. My work requires BES and I hate virtual keyboards on phones. Playbook is usable with the keyboard. He sees all his friends using their devices, and there are few unique capabilities he sees as viable for him to stay on BB. He may wait to switch - prob to take advantage of discounts on iPhone 4 when 5 comes out. It's not business - it's personal.
    09-23-11 11:07 AM
    This is still a timely topic. Just last night my nephew, a university student who has been a BB fan since high school, announced he was shopping for a new phone, and would probably go iPhone. His longtime girlfriend has one. Most of his friends have one. Only some of us still use BBs. One thing was essential to him, BBM. But if he stays BB, or goes android or ios, he will switch it all to Liveprofile. It pushes, it does the checkmark, delivered and read indicators. It works on all three systems.
    I couldn't argue with him. My work requires BES and I hate virtual keyboards on phones. Playbook is usable with the keyboard. He sees all his friends using their devices, and there are few unique capabilities he sees as viable for him to stay on BB. He may wait to switch - prob to take advantage of discounts on iPhone 4 when 5 comes out. It's not business - it's personal.
    Completely understandable. My ex just recently got an iSheep which is scary in itself seeing as how he came from a Jitterbug looking phone he got from his mother. I helped him set it up and I am amazed and didn't think I'd like iSheep, but now I do.

I've still got about a year left on my contract w Verizon for this S2 I got. Will I get another BB when it comes time to upgrade? Will I go rogue and get an iPhone or go Droid? Time will tell.

I love my BB. BB has been good to me since I first got my 7100i years ago. I've overlooked the lack of updates, the lack of apps and the lack of support that the other platforms have gotten. The one app I depend on daily is my Sirius/XM App and Sirius hasn't updated their app for OS6 or OS7 and I doubt they update it for QNX. If I upgraded to any OS7 device or even a QNX device, I'd lose my radio. However, with Android and with iSheep, one app works on all the phones, rather than with BB where you need one app for Bold, one app for a Tour and one app for the Storm series. I don't even think Curves are supported, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I love Angry Birds and want to play that and Words with Friends with my sister, but I can't because I have a BB. Will I jump ship and make the change? Guess we'll see.
    09-23-11 01:18 PM
    Well done Flaherty!
    You're too intense.
    09-23-11 01:37 PM
    Live Profile sucks! It's un-reliable and sucks a battery down like there's no tomorrow.
    09-27-11 01:09 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD