This is not the kind of list a company wants to be on. This article puts Best Buy and RIM as number 1 and 2 on the list of companies in trouble and whose employees have "given up."

companies-where-employees-losing-hope-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Some companies become so badly damaged because of changes in the competitive markets or due to poor management decisions that their employees lose hope. This may be due to the fact that they believe the corporations that they work for have little future, or that they will be laid off as their employers try to save these corporations.

This loss of hope is exacerbated by the state of the economy. A person who is fired now likely will find it extremely hard to find new work. Nearly 6 million Americans have been out of a job for more than half a year, which means that work is scarce either because companies have never recovered from the recession or because firms are concerned that a new recession has started to choke the economy.

It is impossible to know whether the employees at a very badly run company have completely lost hope in their situations. However, this is highly likely in certain corporations. Layoffs have already started at many of these companies, sales have fallen, or Wall St. has passed a verdict they have faltered badly or failed.

24/7 Wall St. has compiled a list of companies that are in deep trouble. This is based on share prices, layoffs, analysts' reports about their futures of these firms and the extent to which they have missed Wall St. predictions about earnings-per-share or are likely to in future.

1. Best Buy (NYSE: BBY - News) recently released earnings, and they were much worse than Wall St. expected. Net income fell to $177 million, or EPS of $0.47, for the quarter ended Aug. 27, down from $254 million, or EPS of $0.60, last year. Analysts expected EPS of $0.52, according to a survey by FactSet. Best Buy dropped its forecast for the year. It took this action because of concerns about TV and phone sales, along with worry about the economy. Best Buy has had a string of earnings failures, due primarily to its failure to do well online. Best Buy recently said its website would carry items from third-party stores to expand its attraction to shoppers. This did nothing to improve the perception that investors have of the company. Fitch downgraded Best Buy in June. The company's shares are off 30% in the last year. Shares of rival Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN - News) are higher by 60% for the same period.

2. Research In Motion (NASDAQ: RIMM - News) posted earnings recently that show its sharp decline has accelerated. Several analysts now believe the RIM BlackBerry smartphones will be no more than a "niche" product in a market it controlled almost completely four years ago. The bad earnings news took shares down from $29.54 to $23.93 in one day. RIM's stock is off almost 50% in the past year, while shares in rival Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL - News) are higher by more than 40%. RIM shipped only 200,000 units of its PlayBook tablet PC last quarter. Expectations had been for a number more than three times that. RIM revenue fell by 10% in the most recent period to $4.2 billion � a horrible situation for a company that was one of the most well-known growth stories for five years. EPS fell to $0.63 from $1.46. The consensus among the media and Wall St. is that RIM has almost no chance to recover. The company has already started to cut costs. It said in July it would lay off 10.5% of its workforce.
    09-19-11 04:24 PM
    09-19-11 05:41 PM
    It's just one article and one blogger who likely has something against bestbuy and RIM. Regardless if stocks fall or rise, RIM is doing fine outside north america. People are saving money by using their technology until it dies of a stroke, which will cause the economy to fall. Power to the people?

Hey, we shape them, they don't shape us. That's why I haven't gotten any new big technology (computers/TVs), cause I'm satisfied with what I have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Just Me likes this.
    09-19-11 06:08 PM
    It's just one article and one blogger who likely has something against bestbuy and RIM.
    Do you have any evidence of this other than that it's a negative article and RIM is mentioned? If so, what is it?
    09-19-11 06:11 PM
    Yes, this is the only article I could find that says rim is in trouble

maddie1128 and kevinnugent like this.
    09-19-11 06:14 PM
    When Wall Street puts out stories like that it drives down the stock of a company. In this market they are both still making money and it is hard to run a company out of business that is making money. BlackBerry will be back when the next generation of phones come out running QNX either late this year or early 2012.
    09-19-11 06:19 PM
    Yes, this is the only article I could find that says rim is in trouble

You really need to get a life.
    09-19-11 06:20 PM
    thank you for your insight into my personal life, i will take what you said into consideration, but i do not think my personal life was the topic of this thread. was it your intention to de-rail the topic?
    09-19-11 06:27 PM
    thank you for your insight into my personal life, i will take what you said into consideration, but i do not think my personal life was the topic of this thread. was it your intention to de-rail the topic?
    He does kind of have a point. It's awesome that you love Android and all, but seriously you should think about finding something better to do with your time. You are almost always on the top posters lists and all of your post are hate filled drivel we have all heard a hundred times. It's like your world revolves around hating a company for some reason. Life has so much more to offer.
    09-19-11 06:36 PM
    He does kind of have a point. It's awesome that you love Android and all, but seriously you should think about finding something better to do with your time. You are almost always on the top posters lists and all of your post are hate filled drivel we have all heard a hundred times. It's like your world revolves around hating a company for some reason. Life has so much more to offer.
    i find it hard to believe that you think i hate blackberry, that simply isn't true, i love blackberry, can you please point me in a direction of something i've said that would lead you to believe i do not like blackberry? because commenting on their woes does not equal hate.
    09-19-11 06:39 PM
    Bestbuy sucks which is unfortunate for the state I currently live in, but it is true. And katiepea you do seem to be happy or excited whenever there is bad news for RIM.
    09-19-11 06:52 PM
    Bestbuy sucks which is unfortunate for the state I currently live in, but it is true. And katiepea you do seem to be happy or excited whenever there is bad news for RIM.
    If there were never negativity for rim we'd have never seen qnx

09-19-11 06:54 PM
    If there were never negativity for rim we'd have never seen qnx

That is a pretty big leap. Regardless, my observation is that you seem to revel in bad news for RIM. I have noticed that you tend to post in those threads. I could be wrong. It is just an observation.
    09-19-11 06:59 PM
    That is a pretty big leap. Regardless, my observation is that you seem to revel in bad news for RIM. I have noticed that you tend to post in those threads. I could be wrong. It is just an observation.
    I have said this about her to everyone. She watches for bad news about Rim and pounces!

09-19-11 07:25 PM
    I have said this about her to everyone. She watches for bad news about Rim and pounces!

Pounces, please show me some good news about rim I can "pounce" on

09-19-11 07:42 PM
    Whatever the case, I think RIM will do OK for a while, at least. But Best Buy!?!?!? If they go under, it means the loss of one of the best product warantees available. They're the only ones who offer accidental damage protection with their warantees. I rarely experience a 'manufacturer defect'. It's the accidents that would kill me without their warantee!
    09-19-11 07:50 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/site-qu...e-user-531445/

highly suggested
    kevinnugent and chiefbroski like this.
    09-19-11 09:47 PM
    Anyways..back on topic

The thing that struck me from the article was how the author didn't say RIM was going under or wouldn't be around in 2-3 years..but rather how they were in danger of becoming a niche product..where they only supply a product for a "select" group of users.

Imo..they're already at this stage. Obviously everyone who loves the "new" BB's (and by new I mean the 9900..it's the only one garnering ANY attention) love it because of the keyboard. No one bought it for the huge integration of apps, nor did any one buy it because it can replace their home computer. They bought it because of the keyboard. THIS is the market RIM does best..along with security and push email (although that's pretty much a wash imo nowadays..as others have pretty much caught up in that area).

I don't think there is anything wrong with Blackberries on the whole..but in todays 100MPH tech world..RIM should be happy cruising along at 60..cuz I don't see them being able to regain their former glory..QNX or not.
    Chrisy, K Bear and kevinnugent like this.
    09-19-11 10:14 PM
    Katiepea has been doin this crap for quite sometime now. She loves the negative RIM articles. **** she loves when someone posting a positive about RIM to try and derail it.

She really is something else and she actually believes the crap she says that spills onto her KB ....

Least she has stayed a constant. I am sure she loves that one.

09-20-11 12:49 AM
    It's funny cuz the most negative people in this thread also voted that the PlayBook they owned didn't meet their expectations in another thread. Weird that they don't have it listed in their device history...
    09-20-11 01:53 AM
    Best buy is in trouble due to the economy and lack of sales. There is very little profit in electronics and with all the overhead of the stores and employees its hard to turn a profit.
    They have issue with employees and that can really hurt a company. You have to be sharp In this economy and cut cost to survive or otherwise you won't make it.
    09-20-11 05:26 AM
    Looks like anyone can call themselves an analyst or journalist these days. Just assign some stupid tag like 24/7 Wall St next to your name and Viola!

"Several analysts now believe the RIM BlackBerry smartphones will be no more than a "niche" product in a market it controlled almost completely four years ago."
    09-20-11 08:03 AM
    Interesting article, thanks.I hadn't heard of trouble at Best Buy, that is a shame. Circuit City was closed here and Best Buy replaced it. Why are they doing poorly?

Who will replace them? The BB here has a lot of great inventory.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-20-11 at 08:09 AM.
    09-20-11 08:07 AM
    How the **** can BestBuy not be doing well!???? there is NO competition!???
    At least not anywhere near me...

If I wanted to buy a video game, new tv, and new PC graphics card... and Best Buy was not around.... thats off to EB games, then to....? where for a tv? sears? Target? yikes... then home to go on the internet to look for a card.

so really.. how can they fail at selling?

ok.. heres an idea... STOP SELLING APPLIANCES!!!! YOU ARE AN ELECTRONICS STORE!

EDIT: the **** above was really H*LL not anything worse lol
    Chrisy and chiefbroski like this.
    09-20-11 08:11 AM
    Yep when people are getting laid off, taxes go up, everything you buy is more expensive and on and on no one has money to buy something they don't need.

Anyone here ever try living on minimum wage? You can't, you have to work 3 jobs and it's still tough and then you don't have time for things you don't need.

All though I've seen plenty of people at the food bank with smart phones, all kinds of bling on and driving a brand new SUV. How those people can live with themselves I'll never know. Can't afford food but they sure as he__ find a way to have all of those things that aren't needed.
    flyersfan76 likes this.
    09-20-11 08:15 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD