i was wondering..

i got the 9900 for my wife..im about to get mine shortly..

can NFC be used between 2 NFC enabled phones like the 9900?

i read once one of ways to use NFC is to bring 2 NFC enabled phones in proximity and you can that way transfer contacts/pins directly between phones...

does this work? has anyone used it yet?
    bellxx likes this.
    09-18-11 11:54 PM
    no replies?

not working i assume...
    09-19-11 10:25 PM
    You may get more response in a few days. Google wallet is starting to go into test mode. Phones with nfc are going to be put into use in a couple of big cities. Mastercard is working on their program to get it started. Things are starting to go in motion.
    09-19-11 10:42 PM
    tried putting 2 9900 back to back to see if it would auto swap contacts... nothing happened
    09-19-11 11:29 PM
    Hoping Google releases Google Wallet for Blackberry, though I doubt it.
    09-19-11 11:43 PM
    tried putting 2 9900 back to back to see if it would auto swap contacts... nothing happened
    wasnt this supposedly one of the functions to look for in the NFC?

why do we need google for this?
    09-20-11 01:30 AM
    Check app world I think they have an app in there for tagging.
    09-20-11 01:46 AM
    NFC has no practical use if you live in North America, keep waiting.. maybe some day it will be relevant. It remains new, and for the most part untested here -- everyone is hot to trot to have NFC but no one ever pays attention to what IS available and what has been nothing more then proof of concepts for use. Even on Android, with the exception of Google Wallet having just launched it remained for the most part, useless.

Best I can do is create a URL tag on my BB, swipe my Nexus S and have it open the website.
    09-20-11 02:19 AM
    According to the Help info I find when searching my VZW 9930, the first step to enabling NFC is to turn it on under Manage Connections. Since I don't see it listed there, I'm guessing it isn't available yet...

Is the option listed on the 9900?
    09-20-11 03:17 AM
    According to the Help info I find when searching my VZW 9930, the first step to enabling NFC is to turn it on under Manage Connections. Since I don't see it listed there, I'm guessing it isn't available yet...

Is the option listed on the 9900?
    Verizon disabled NFC in their stock OS, but you can get it by loading one of the leaked OS builds.

NFC was enabled on my 9900 from day 1, however as others have said... it's a bit of a pointless feature presently.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-11 03:48 AM
    If Chase Blink and NFC are the same then a heck of a lot of C-Stores in my area have the scanners/readers inside and outside the stores. A tremendous amount of purchases go through C-Stores daily so I would say the the possibility of NFC going main stream is very very close.

But the question I have is why did chase just send me a card without blink when my previous card had it?

Here's another question.

Has anyone purchased NFC Tags to program? I was playing around with the functionality of the NFC on my phone.

In the applications folder there is an NFC app.

You can create a tag which to me means that the phone also works as an encoder (I would imagine).

If I try to write to a tag the screen reads "Tap to write this tag"

I am considering buying some tags but not sure who is the best to buy from.

Also for you big brother types go to Network and Connections > Near Field Communications. The default options under Allow NFC Card Transactions include:
    "When Locked or Backlight is off"
    "When Powered Off"

For those that think and will only use NFC from credit card payments then you might take issue with this BUT it is not only for that so that is probably the reason for these options.

I think the forums could almost get a subforum for NFC since we are really climbing with NFC threads across many subforums.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 09-20-11 at 09:23 AM.
    09-20-11 07:20 AM
    If Chase Blink and NFC are the same then a heck of a lot of C-Stores in my area have the scanners/readers inside and outside the stores. A tremendous amount of purchases go through C-Stores daily so I would say the the possibility of NFC going main stream is very very close.

But the question I have is why did chase just send me a card without blink when my previous card had it?
    Blink uses RFID, similar... but not the same as NFC. Essentially, all RFID terminals could be swapped over to NFC as NFC functions if co-ordination with RFID but as it is.. stand alone RFID terminals like Blink have no NFC capability.

[INFO]Device trials: Bank of America, Device Fidelity; US Bank, Device Fidelity, FIS, Montise

Mobile payments: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile; Adirondack Trust; Community State Bank; Bankers Bank of the West; PayPal;Bank of America; US Bank; Wells Fargo; Blackboard; Google Wallet

Community Marketing and Business Rating: Google Places: Portland, OR; Austin, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Madison, WI; Charlotte, NC.

Public transit: Visa, New York City Transit, NJ Transit, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, LA Metro (New York, New Jersey, Los Angeles, CA)[/INFO]

^^
    Areas where NFC are in use or being trialed for the US.

Also, can we get realistic here about NFC for once? EVERYONE knows it can be used for more then $$ transfer services but does anyone really, truly believe there will be that many providers taking advantage of moving data through the use of NFC any time soon?

The fact that the list of NFC enabled uses currently across the Globe remains money centric says you're not going to see anyone going after that portion of the NFC capabilities. It's about money, like everything else. There has to be money made first, then other things will come. Look through the list, payments, payments, payments, payments -- wait, sim transfer of contacts -- payments, payments, payments. Pretty telling of the direction in which providers want to take NFC vs. What can be done with it.
    09-20-11 09:26 AM
    u guys are going too far...if i have 2 9900s next to each other and if both devices have the option of nfc checked under manage connections (we have this option here), will they be able to communicate with each other? sorry that i havent got the 2nd 9900 yet but its on its way and i was only wondering before trying it. the option of nfc is enabled here in uae until now.
    i could not find any app for it either as per what bell suggested.
    i found this article and it doesnt sound too good about its funcionality on 9900..

BlackBerry Bold NFCGate: NFC experience very poor [EXCLUSIVE] NFC (near field communications) news blog
    09-20-11 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD