View Poll Results: How has the owning PB addressed your expectations of it?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • The PB has exceeded my expectations.

63 21.72%
  • The PB has met my expectations.

158 54.48%
  • The PB has failed to meet my expectations.

61 21.03%
  • The PB will never meet my expectations.

1 0.34%
  • I had no expectations concerning the form and function of the Playbook.

7 2.41%
    Please read this first before participating
    Herein is a seemingly simple poll dealing with a complex issue: Are Playbook owners satisfied with their purchase? Do the love their PlayBooks or loathe them? Will they toss them out or keep them close by all the time? do they grudginly or happily accept what they have in their hands? Is it the epitome of handheld computing or a royal POS? And so on.
    What I've come up with, and I hope you'll agree in your participation, is simply asking if the playbook has matched your expectations, which is a loaded question but if one thinks about it, it is that "loaded-ness" that can account for all sorts of different opinions and go far in filtering out nonsense.

The choices for selction given in this poll are as follows:
    1. The PB has exceeded my expectations.

1. The PB has met my expectations.

1. The PB has failed to meet my expectations.

1. The PB will never meet my expectations

1. I had no expectations concerning the form and function of the Playbook

Now for the question. This is the full question since the form does not allow lengthy ones. Please read it carefully and make your poll selection accordingly to as you best understand the question and can be honest about what your expectations are or were.

Question:
    As at the present time you are participating in this poll, how has owning a PlayBook, in it's present form and function with all the present available applications and accessories, addressed your expectations of the Playbook at the time of purchase?

PS: This poll is anonymous. Thank you and good luck
    Last edited by Beakman; 09-18-11 at 06:51 PM.
    09-18-11 06:39 PM
    I changed the title, it seemed like the old title was a shot an another member's poll thread.
    Chrisy and gordongr like this.
    09-18-11 06:50 PM
    I changed the title, it seemed like the old title was a shot an another member's poll thread.
    I saw nothing wrong in the description of "intelligent" as I did try to think this through without prejudicing the participants. I disagree with your actions but you are (the) moderator.
    09-18-11 07:00 PM
    It has meet my expectations. I'm very happy with mine. I look forward to it improving.
    09-18-11 07:00 PM
    The PB's compact size is great at work for stealth and ez to carry. Surfs the net, watch my flash videos that I cannot load with my iPad, and feel relatively secure to send/receive emails, trade stocks, banking, online purchases etc. Prefer not to have native email and have little need for thousand of apps. When the OS2 comes my PB will only get better and if the rebates are interesting I'm upgrading to the 64 GB. My old BB is great for one-hand texting in motion...something I cant do with the touch screen competitors. My old BB still serves as my "PDA" and alarm clock as I wait for the QNX super phones. BBM rocks! PB has met my expectations and looking forward to the upgrade.
    Last edited by AggreX; 09-18-11 at 07:45 PM.
    09-18-11 07:43 PM
    im slightly getting sick of the repetitive "do you like your playbook" and complain threads.

On the other hand, i voted. It met my expectations because i knew what i was buying, but its taking so long to exceed it. A few days ago I played with an iPad and noticed an app called Lastpass tab, boy that exceeded my expectations!
    09-18-11 07:46 PM
    Why is there no option for "It has net most of my expectations but not every one" or "it has not met most of my expectations but has met some".

This poll is flawed... and really no different than another poll which became so controversial. It just has a few more degrees between Love and Hate.

And there's no way of knowing if its only PB owners voting, doesn't include PB owners that have never visited CB, not a scientific sample, I'm sure all the stat experts can throw in a few more flaws. What exactly is this supposed to show?
    09-18-11 07:47 PM
    It won't matter how the poll is worded it will still show a positive trend for the pb. The vast majority of owners are satisfied, that should be obvious by now.
    09-18-11 08:00 PM
    Why is there no option for "It has net most of my expectations but not every one" or "it has not met most of my expectations but has met some".

This poll is flawed... and really no different than another poll which became so controversial. It just has a few more degrees between Love and Hate.

And there's no way of knowing if its only PB owners voting, doesn't include PB owners that have never visited CB, not a scientific sample, I'm sure all the stat experts can throw in a few more flaws. What exactly is this supposed to show?
    This is why I suggested you read tbe loaded question carefully and be honest about your expectations. For example, the question does not rule out a rabid iPod fan from declaring that whatever perceived failure on the PB,s side exceeded their expectations. If your expectation was based on only one criteria of form or function and it met that, there would be your response. I anticipated some degree of.nit-picking but did the best I could by hopefully inferring that your answer will be made from how deep you want to think about it and how honest an answer can be given. I cannot think for you.
    09-18-11 08:02 PM
    Polls are tricky which is why mine was binary "pass/fail". It covered just about everyone except the truly indecisive.
    09-18-11 08:05 PM
    It won't matter how the poll is worded it will still show a positive trend for the pb. The vast majority of owners are satisfied, that should be obvious by now.
    Most likely, but I think it may point.out the differing opinions that do exist for a variety of legitmate reasons in terms of what individuals expected, not if they're right or wrong.
    09-18-11 08:07 PM
    No poll is going to make EVERYONE happy and have all options. This one is as good as any. If you don't like it, don't vote.
    menaknow likes this.
    09-18-11 08:39 PM
    The polls are getting old as I type this on my iPad waiting for my new PlayBook to be delivered. My iPad does not completely meet my needs. Neither did my past PlayBooks. I'm hoping that between the apps on my iPad and the browser/speakers etc on my PlayBook the 2 tablets will fill a need. Time will tell.

I will keep both. Neither will be sold/given away. I have room in my life for both. Both have +/-. Period.

I am a BlackBerry fan and an Apple user. Nuff said.

As an edit, if OS 2.0 is 'all that' my iPhone will quickly turn into a new OS7 Berry.
    pkcable and Chaddface like this.
    09-18-11 09:04 PM
    Polls are tricky which is why mine was binary "pass/fail". It covered just about everyone except the truly indecisive.
    I think you ment Boolean
    09-18-11 09:33 PM
    Ahh thank you - someone stepped up to the plate to take the pressure off of me from the scientific community lol

Ok my turn to criticize though.. lol
    Actually it is flawed, because "expectations" is not a constant - it varies from user to user.

th is the same way they get you on employee review forms -

Did the employee meet or exceed expectations?
    Want a different result, and excuse not to give them a raise? Simply vary your expectations.

Oldest most commonplace trick in the book .
    Well how can I give you a raise when you didn't meet the expectations that I just raised? I expected so much more out of you.

Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-18-11 at 09:47 PM.
    awattwell likes this.
    09-18-11 09:40 PM
    Ahh thank you - someone stepped up to the plate to take the pressure off of me from the scientific community lol

Actually it is flawed, because "expectations" is not a constant - it varies from user to user.

Want a different result, and excuse not to give them a raise? Simply vary your expectations.

Well how can I give you a raise when you didn't meet the expectations that I just raised? I expected so much more out of you.

Nobody's trying to trick anybody here. It is left to the participant to evaluate their expectations with regard to the playbook and if it does or does not meet them. If I purchased a PB just because the color matches my shoes, it may have met my expectations. If it doesn't match my shoes but bbm works as expected and my criteria requires both to be satisfied, then I have to decide if it does or does not satisfy my expectations. If I waffle at that point, because I do then have the option of pushing the answer in favor of my prejudice, then something is afoot dear Watson.
    09-18-11 10:08 PM

Lol, any opinion based poll by definition will be subjective
    Never had a boss do that to me, my raises have always been consistent (although (IMO) my performance has always been excellent).

It's better in that multiple issues aren't presented in one response, when one might be true for the surveyee and the other might not.

OTOH, blackjack's pole addressed like vs dislike, whereas this addresses satisfaction in comparison to expectations (two substantially different issues )

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 09-18-11 at 10:42 PM.
    09-18-11 10:33 PM
    Nobody's trying to trick anybody here. It is left to the participant to evaluate their expectations with regard to the playbook and if it does or does not meet them. If I purchased a PB just because the color matches my shoes, it may have met my expectations. If it doesn't match my shoes but bbm works as expected and my criteria requires both to be satisfied, then I have to decide if it does or does not satisfy my expectations. If I waffle at that point, because I do then have the option of pushing the answer in favor of my prejudice, then something is afoot dear Watson.
    Just pretty much giving you a hard time in mimic of the ones that gave me a hard time..
    Thanks for doing this - it will only re-enforce the outcome I had, hopefully with fewer complaints about it's legitimacy... I already see a similar data pattern...
    09-18-11 10:36 PM
    I am surprised the forums moderators have allowed the other poll to continue since a) it obviously created to target certain individuals (leaves out the majority of owners) b) SINCE INDIVIDUAL NAMES ARE LISTED, it allows for active retaliation. But hey I'm not a moderator.

Please read this first before participating
    Herein is a seemingly simple poll dealing with a complex issue: Are Playbook owners satisfied with their purchase? Do the love their PlayBooks or loathe them? Will they toss them out or keep them close by all the time? do they grudginly or happily accept what they have in their hands? Is it the epitome of handheld computing or a royal POS? And so on.
    What I've come up with, and I hope you'll agree in your participation, is simply asking if the playbook has matched your expectations, which is a loaded question but if one thinks about it, it is that "loaded-ness" that can account for all sorts of different opinions and go far in filtering out nonsense.

The choices for selction given in this poll are as follows:
    1. The PB has exceeded my expectations.

1. The PB has met my expectations.

1. The PB has failed to meet my expectations.

1. The PB will never meet my expectations

1. I had no expectations concerning the form and function of the Playbook

Now for the question. This is the full question since the form does not allow lengthy ones. Please read it carefully and make your poll selection accordingly to as you best understand the question and can be honest about what your expectations are or were.

Question:
    As at the present time you are participating in this poll, how has owning a PlayBook, in it's present form and function with all the present available applications and accessories, addressed your expectations of the Playbook at the time of purchase?

PS: This poll is anonymous. Thank you and good luck
    Thank you for creating an unbiased and much more intelligent poll!!
    09-18-11 10:48 PM
    I voted on "blackjacks"poll and I voted on this one. I LOVE my playbook (well as much as one can love an inanimate object)

I wanted this beast from the day it was announced (Septemberish last year?). I live in Indonesia and had to wait until mid July before I could secure it and I got it on the day it was released here. During the time I waited, I read many negative and positive reviews from reviewers and buyers.

I KNEW that when I bought it, it would NOT have important NATIVE FEATURES and a lack of apps and that these would come in time. As with most users, I am IMPATIENTLY waiting for SOME of these promised features. As a BB user, NATIVE PIM and EMAIL is not so important for me, that's just another list I have to maintain on the PB unless it syncs automatically with my BRIDGED 9700.

I will say that I have noticed a CORE BASE of members here who CONSTANTLY BASH the PB. Some are obvious TROLLS and some are just plain OVERLY frustrated and really NEED TO GET A LIFE, ie: get out from behind your computer, get out in the sunshine, breathe some fresh air and ohhhh, yeah, take your PB with you for fun and STOP STALKING THESE BOARDS and the positive threads. You will give yourselves an ULCER!

EVERY TIME a positive thread is started, you can be sure they will come out of the wordwork to regurgitate their same old vomit that they have posted AD NAUSEUM in every other positive thread on these boards and it is TIRESOME. How many times do you need to express your negativity? Does it feel good for you to do it relentlessly, or make you even more frustrated?

For the sake of THIS poll.... My PB has met my expectations based on my research before I bought it. Do I hope that it will get better? Absolutely. Am I impressed with RIM's pace of development and delivery? No...., although I concede that they have a lot more on their plate than either Apple or Android at the moment.

Apple only has to engineer and update one OS and the form factor across their devices is almost identical, just made bigger or smaller. This is good for them and allows them to pool and focus their resources in one place, resulting in a limited but very capable and polished range of products.. Give credit where credit is due!

Android is an OS that is freely available to any manufacturer, Google focuses its efforts on its OS and manufacturers focus their efforts on their hardware, resulting in a plethora of products on the market with limited or no manufacturer support for further OS updates, especially if hardware is incompatible with OS updates.

RIM has so much more to deal with and of course this can be spun as poor decision making and sitting on their laurels for so long BUT.. trying to design, engineer and manufacture a DIVERSE range of devices PLUS develop updates for EXISTING BBOS whilst supporting LEGACY devices AND developing a BRAND NEW QNX OS for TABLETS and range of QNX DEVICES is going to leave them, shall we say... Fragmented?

NOW, hopefully when they have their new OS sorted and are on the same path as APPLE with identical OS (and versions) across ALL devices that are essentially the same, just bigger and smaller versions of each other with varying features AND, they no longer have to support incompatible legacy devices, AND they actually GET A CLUE about MARKETING, then we may see "Glory days" for them once again.
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 09-19-11 at 12:43 AM.
    roger33-33 and Cozmik like this.
    09-18-11 10:53 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    lovin the Playbook .. looking forward to future new features of 2.0 also!!
    09-18-11 11:08 PM
    Okay, how about this question:

Which do you believe is worse:

a: pb

b: Casey Anthony

I think even BJ would find the results heartening!

I did think about comparing liars but decided not to go that far.
    09-18-11 11:32 PM
    If i might add my two bits here..first I want to say we don't need to get carried away with poles. I my biggest problem is that the blackberry community itself has a hard time embracing the playbook. Can you imagine 200000 Playbooks being sold in the second quarter? what a shame. If Rim can't even sell the Playbook to existing bb users that to me is a sad situation. With all the hate filled reviews and doom and gloom stories coming from all over, we need to rally back and buy these things like the apple customers buy ipads and iphone from apple. Apple could come out with the same iphone as the iphone 4 call it iphone 5 put a new color on it and sell billions. Blackberry users can't even muster 800000 in two quarters. So my main point is if we don't start supporting Rim and their efforts to continue developing the playbook we might have a paper weight on our desks after all. Rim is trying but we must also stand behind them. Which means opening up our wallets a bit.... maybe we might not have seen the 10" playbook scrapped news a while back. I have had a playbook since day one. I have been waiting for a long time for Rim to release it and am a very happy user of it too. i am planning to get another one but can't find the money right now.
    09-18-11 11:32 PM
    Unfortunately the market has voted. No Poll is going to change this.

At the moment the PlayBook would have more function etc if they wacked the old OS6 or OS7 on it. Short term gain, long term pain though.

Give RIM time and I'm sure they will get QNX right...eventually...
    09-18-11 11:49 PM
    I will stand behind RIM as much as they have stood behind us and supported us PB users the past 5 plus months. (Insert silence here)

It's a company folks, not a high school football team.

RIM delivers, they do well.

Don't deliver and they do not do well.

Rah Rah...geesh.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    rollj83 likes this.
    09-18-11 11:49 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD