I backed up my phone about three weeks ago and then some time after erased my SMS's. I know need a couple of those SMS messages back for some info. Were those saved to my computer when I backed the phone up and if so where are they? Thanks in advance.

P.S. One thing I forgot to add is I am using a different device this weekend and not my BB which is home. I do have the laptop I synced with so is there somehow a way to read the sms's off the laptop?
    Last edited by dsmith3427; 09-17-11 at 12:19 PM.
    09-17-11 12:15 PM
    If you backed up using the BB Desktop Manager backup option the SMS messages will have been backed up - as long as you selected the full backup; if you selected a partial backup then that will depend upon the options you selected.

The backup file is a .ipd file, by default saved to My Documents/Blackberry/Backup. This file can be read using the "Magic Berry" application (and possibly others, that's just the one I use!), which is a free application available via the web. You can read and export your SMS messages to a text or .csv file.

If you used the BBDTM to synch with your laptop, the SMS messages won't have been backed up.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by wightwizard; 09-18-11 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Updated with synch comments after rereading the wording of the original post
    09-18-11 10:33 AM
    If you backed up using the BB Desktop Manager backup option the SMS messages will have been backed up - as long as you selected the full backup; if you selected a partial backup then that will depend upon the options you selected.

The backup file is a .ipd file, by default saved to My Documents/Blackberry/Backup. This file can be read using the "Magic Berry" application (and possibly others, that's just the one I use!), which is a free application available via the web. You can read and export your SMS messages to a text or .csv file.

If you used the BBDTM to synch with your laptop, the SMS messages won't have been backed up.

Hope this helps.
    I did do a backup. Can you tell me how to locate the email and sms files on a laptop. I'm using a PC. thanks.
    10-10-11 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD