I have been noticing a lot of PlayBook hate lately. And I wanted to balance that a bit.

First: My anti-troll disclaimer. I *know* as much as the next guy not everyone is happy with the PlayBook. And those who are unhappy are really unhappy. I *dont* blame you. You bought an expensive product and I believe you are entitled to feel how you want about it.

Lets face one thing straight away. Yes, the PlayBook experience is tricky. It is really designed for a specific type of individual, it is not meant to replace the iPads market or the Android market. Regardless of marketting, It is designed to compliment BB owners with very open phone carriers. Its target is business individuals who have free money as another tool for success. It works great in other contexts, but in truth that means your milage will vary.

Now I own a lot of tablets, and I never put down my PB. At work, PBs are the only authorized tablets bc they have the best corporate management software packages. Plus, of the Tablets I have, it is best for my quick meetings (powwows). I use it for some small gaming, but I dont have the freedom in a day to play with games very often.

I never recommend someone buy a PB if they want a gaming device, if they are not a BB owner, or if they want future features. Never buy in to a promise - what you hear in your head (or in google) is always a prettier picture than it really will be. Buy the PB if yiu are a qnix fan! Or buy the PB because *today* it does everything you want it to.

My dislikes on the PB are extremely minor. My likes are massive. I can argue benefits and limitations of tablets all day (cant we all?).

But I just wanted to say - I am and have always been an extremely happy PB owner. My Wifi, Tethering, and Bridge all work great. I love BBM its the backbone of my work place. And anything missing on my PB I've just done up with the SDKs. If you arent afraid to get your hands dirty - you can get a PB cert and just make and certify your own apps for your needs. Its not for everyone, but I only needed a couple missing apps and only.spent maybe an hour punching them out.

I cant wait for a qnix phone, I love the OS, and the PB is worth every cent to me as it is today I am sorry for those who feel different though. If you guys need to get rid of ur PBs cheap let me know - I can always buy more for my team at work if the price is right.

Keep it real and viva la playbook!
    09-16-11 01:51 AM
    great to read something positive in this forum. I've been a playbook owner for 4 months now and i am still in love with it.
    09-16-11 01:54 AM
    I've had my PlayBook for about 3-4 weeks and I'm enjoying it, all this negativity from forums and websites have gotten me a bit down but then I come home and find a new accessory to my PB in the mail (ie HDMI cable) and I realize why it is such a good device and why I bought it in the first place.
    09-16-11 02:00 AM
    great to read something positive in this forum. I've been a playbook owner for 4 months now and i am still in love with it.
    I think I get bonus points for typing that on my PB too - sorry for the long post ya'all.

Also, off topic a bit, I wonder if Flash Builder can handle custom ports for network data. If so, shouldn't be too much of a pain to punch out a simple mail client... not something I need myself but its a popular request. If I dont see a mail client soon (tomorrows update) i might build one just to help out a bit mmm weekend project I think.

Otherwise I could put up a server for dummy requests to reroute to the right port via http but then the email domain needs to be external (i.e. no corp email, just gmail, hotmail, etc)
    Last edited by KermEd; 09-16-11 at 02:10 AM.
    09-16-11 02:08 AM
    yeah its fun at first... but right now i feel like i own a broken down Ferrari I cant drive till the body shop decides to fix it at their convenience, hah.
    09-16-11 02:10 AM
    I am more than happy with my PB, it does everything I need it to do and more! With each update it gets better, especially now that we can use apps through bridge its awesome. My PB goes wherever I go, and I can pretty much do anything on it that I can do on my laptop (which I rarely turn on anymore). I have the 16gb version and am now thinking of upgrading to a 32gb
    09-16-11 02:10 AM
    im happy for you... but the things i got the pb dont work lol... im always on my ipad for fantasy football (fn ba'lows using yahoos site on the pb) skype, netflix, etc... i know ppl argue that apps arent necessary as one can use the site, but using websites isnt the same... you're better off using a netbook... the best use the pb does have for me is taking it outdoors (ipad is too damn big for that lol)... portability is a win!
    09-16-11 02:22 AM
    As I said, this kind of "dissatisfaction" is expected because of this "sales off" thing... I was only thinking positive that the more buyers, the sooner the update will come... but I guess, the number still didn't force RIM to push the update as majority of us is looking forward for...

Well, the title said "I absolutely love my PlayBook"... and I still do... but loving the company behind it is another thing...
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 02:23 AM
    I bought mine close to day one and am extremely happy I did. It has paid for itself multiple times in increased productivity and mobility, JUST because of the bridged 3G browsing alone. How can I complain about things it doesn't have when it has so much?
    If 2.0 never comes, I'm still happy and it has still paid for itself over and over, just during the summer wile so many others are sitting around watching the calendar and expecting it to morph into something it isn't. How foolish is that? The joke is on you, not us.
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 02:29 AM
    im happy for you... but the things i got the pb dont work lol... im always on my ipad for fantasy football (fn ba'lows using yahoos site on the pb) skype, netflix, etc... i know ppl argue that apps arent necessary as one can use the site, but using websites isnt the same... you're better off using a netbook... the best use the pb does have for me is taking it outdoors (ipad is too damn big for that lol)... portability is a win!
    I don't want to be rude, but why are you even posting in this thread? There are plenty of other threads you can post in in which others might care.
    09-16-11 02:41 AM
    I bought mine close to day one and am extremely happy I did. It has paid for itself multiple times in increased productivity and mobility, JUST because of the bridged 3G browsing alone. How can I complain about things it doesn't have when it has so much?
    If 2.0 never comes, I'm still happy and it has still paid for itself over and over, just during the summer wile so many others are sitting around watching the calendar and expecting it to morph into something it isn't. How foolish is that? The joke is on you, not us.
    Welcome back!
    09-16-11 02:46 AM
    I absolutely love my PlayBook. It has gone everywhere with me since I got it a week after release. My browser is set to reopen pages, so whenever I fire it up it opens my Gmail and my OWA pages right away. Between OWA and Bridge mail, I don't need nor really want a native email app. I can VNC to my desktop when in our offices and now with the Citrix app, I can get in from the outside too.

I love the cameras. I took the PB with me on a 5K run since I forgot the regular camera and my 9000 isn't made for scenery shots. It's small enough to use in public and not feel dorky and makes for an awesome viewing screen of what you're shooting. Also, the audio is top notch, both the speakers and the mics. (Example:

I love the bridging. Didn't have to pay extra for a 3G version nor a monthly charge. Saved money by using it at the hotel to play a movie for the kids on the big TV. (I just had to order an HDMI adapter for an iPad for the Marketing Dept 3G + HDMI adapter is an extra $200)

Now that soccer season is in gear, it has been invaluable. The kids have to be there a half hour early, so there's a lot of sitting around and waiting. I was playing Angry Apes, emailing with my boss, checking my GMail and reading Google News while sitting there. When my kids would see some action, I'd swipe over to the camera and capture the moment.

It's not perfect, but all of the tablets and platforms have their share of positives and negatives. For me, the pluses on the PlayBook far outweigh the minuses. And hopefully, the OS update that should follow today's Bridge update will bring more pluses.

Gotta go mash the Check for Update button..
    grover5 and KermEd like this.
    09-16-11 03:28 AM
    bought mine pre order through best buy... lost it 2weeks later.. and bought another one the next day from staples... i brag on what this tablet can do already and i wow everyone who i show it to..sure it lacks on apps but what we bought was a true investment.. we dont have to buy a new playbook to get the hardware updates.. atleast not right now rim added it to start with... we just keep getting awesome software updates... let skype and netflix miss out.. and hulu.. it just opens upthe competition.. gives room for new and upcoming businesses... anybody remember when aol instant messaging was king... or myspace??? now its skype and facebook.. now google+ is slowly competing with faceboom... just be patient. the playbook in its infacy has made apple step its game up with ios5 which is a sign that tbis tablet has potential for greatness..this tabletowns alot of tablet firsts... and last time i checked.. being in 1st place doesnt spell demise....its still growing up ... im typing this from my hotel room with no wifi signal... so no laptop just a tablet and a blackberry ... thankyou RIM
    yauchunh and KermEd like this.
    09-16-11 04:53 AM
    Bought mine in June, bought one for the wife the day after. Not a day goes by that I don't have to charge it from under 20% remaining battery. Sometimes I have to charge it twice
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 05:31 AM
    I just had to chime in, because as per the thread title... I Love My PlayBook!!!
    Simply amazing!!!

I also respect & embrace posts from users who are fed up with it. It is posts like that which keep me truly informed about the product. Without those posts, I just feel like I'm inundated with eager "Yes Men" salesman for a product. To those that always say "You should have done more research" I can easily say I could have only performed proper research by listening to users from both sides of the tracks.

I would recommend the PlayBook to anyone as is... But that's only my opinion...
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 05:47 AM
    Lovin' it! My Playbook has become a part of my everyday life and I shall not be a "fairweather fan".....ever. I must admit though that I have never even considered "droid" or "i" anything, so I am completely biased. My blood runs Black....berry!
    09-16-11 06:00 AM
    I am an addict of the Playbook since the first hour!

Once the bridge was fixed in the summer, adding BBM to the bridge, I use it more then my 9000 and laptop combined.

Am looking at getting a second for one for my wife.

I have fondled the HP and the I thing and other tablets in the store. It just made me feel happy I had a playbook.

When I show it off to co workers, all they say is "Wow, must be nice".

Wouldn't trade it for any other tablet. The bridge is what sold it for me. .....and the BB logo.

Like other things in life, this can only get better!
    09-16-11 06:50 AM
    I like mine a lot and will love it when the "sweetness" arrives.
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 08:00 AM
    Count me in! With or without sweetness.
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 08:34 AM
    When I first got my PB shortly after the launch, I had sort of a love/hate relationship with it, but as the software updates improved it and I learned the QNX OS, its nothing but love!

What did I hate when I first got it? Bridge didn't work properly initially and AT&T, my carrier blocked it on day one and lied to their consumers saying they were just testing it. Even after I dl the OTA Bridge off of Crackberry to my Torch, it didn't work right until software updates came. No Netflix, no app, no Silverlight support! But Netflix went and foolishly raised their prices so I cancelled my subscription anyway and will stick to Amazon Prime for my streaming movies with my nice little HDMI cable. Hulu being blocked was a decision by Hulu and they are not the only game in town to get free tv shows, so I have adapted.

I also have a HP Touchpad I got in that fire sale and am still learning the WebOS and the homebrew Preware stuff. I have used my brother's iPad1 extensively and have seen many people using the iPad2. I have to say no tablet is as solid all around as a laptop as of now.

But of any tablet I have used, Playbook is currently far and away my favorite. Is it perfect? Nope, no tablet is, but the free data sharing with bridge for free portability everywhere (no extra monthly fees), the amazing QNX OS with bezel gestures, the easy HDMI into the tv, the full web with bookmarks, tabbing, multitasking, along with great sound and a beautiful screen and the fact I use it every day, best $500 I have ever spent.

And it can only get better...
    KermEd and danimalchil like this.
    09-16-11 08:50 AM
    works Flawless here
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 10:51 AM
    This is EXACTLY my own experience. I just LOVE the PB and am learning new ways every day on how awesome it already is.
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 11:55 AM
    i have the touchpad, android tablet by asus and an iphone 4. I just got a PB recently and prefer this one by far. It goes great with my 9700 and way more useful than my other devices.

The bridge is fantastic and the browser has been more reliable for me than webos and android. The form factor is a delight as well as it is more practical to carry around.

I'm not into apps but there are some I wish were available like Navigon and some special interest ones for my hobbies, like music not music players.

I consider this my productivity tablet and have been spending more time on the PB than all my other devices so far.
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 12:46 PM
    I've only had my pb for a few weeks and absolutely love it. That said, I can also understand the disappointment earlier purchasers might feel awaiting the OS upgrade to some degree. I bought my bb and my pb for what they can do now, not with dreams of what the future might hold, but to each his own. Have to say i laugh to myself when i hear someone complain that they can't browse the internet on their iPad cuz there's no wireless and they don't want to pay for a plan. Hello bridge!
    KermEd and menaknow like this.
    09-16-11 01:34 PM
    my playbook just got a whole lot cooler...quick! from the process of getting my playbook of choice to the initial not-so-intuitive set up, my beginnings were a little too challenging. now that i have it online and have found valuable guidance, i'm falling! i'm feeling ya, rim! much thanks to those in these forums for sharing and lessening the learning curve!
    KermEd likes this.
    09-16-11 01:50 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD