Over the past couple of days I've had a problem with my back button. It seems to be unresponsive sometimes. Not sure if its a glitch or its jammed or something even though it doesn't seem it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 04:40 PM
    The thread on ATT release has mention about button problems in ATT's acceptance tests. It is also apparently not isolated to one or two phones. According to the poster, the entire unit needs to be replaced.
    09-15-11 05:47 PM
    I am having the same issue, I don't know that it is really a hardware issue, when the issue happens for me to also causes the menu button to not respond, once one works they both work fine. It has no effect on the call and end keys, or the track pad. I am going to try a clear install of the latest os to see if it helps.

09-23-11 01:21 PM
    yeah the back button on my pphone seems to be more mushy compared to the oher buttons

09-24-11 11:09 AM
    Have same thing. Last couple of days this have been going on and it works after a while. A battery pull did not help this time so now I thought it was gone totally but after I added the power cable, the phone got into "bedtime mode" it was possible to click back button again!
    Seems software related anyway... But I do run the latest OS so Rim, how about an update any year?
    09-27-11 10:07 AM
    Yeah I also think it's software related, my menu button would also stop working but once one worked, the other one did too. I brought it to my sprint repair store and they told me it was a defective model and they switched it out for a brand new one for free.

So if it is a software issue that happens about 1 month into the phone, I should anticipate this problem again in a month unless there's a Sprint software update that fixes it soon. I literally would have to press down wicked hard on the keys for them to work again.
    09-27-11 10:52 AM
    I also thought it was a software problem so I did a wipe and held out for a week or so, it would still give me problems along with the BB buttons at time. I went and exchanged the phone for another new one and I haven't had the problem once since. So hardware? On this new one though I notice the optical track pad is crooked, it's not laying flat
    09-27-11 08:49 PM
    So I have been have this issue constantly for the last two weeks, and I have had a feeling that the issue OS related and not a matter of hardware, despite wiping the device several time and upgrading to 353. So today I had the idea of turning on the key tones in the keyboard setting menu, I was hoping that the key tones would function at a basic level between the core OS and the hardware and would be unaffected by an issue with the GUI. So in essence, I thought the key might still beep, even if the GUI did not respond.

Well after about six hours or usage enduring the ridiculous beeping, I have yet to have the menu or escape fail to work properly. Of course, this is likely just a coincidence, but my BB has been working properly for � of a day+ and previous to this it couldn’t go five minutes without an issue.

I’d be curious if this has the same effect for anyone else, or at the very least if their phone would either beep or not while experiencing the lack of response from the hard keys.
    09-27-11 10:50 PM
    How about the fact that the buttons suk! I cant belive how easy it is to type without suretype then they put these buttons that you have to FORCE down to get to work. I think its CRAZY.
    re2st likes this.
    09-28-11 10:33 AM
    Just to follow up, this morning my hard keys started acting up again. This atleast answers my question, no the keystone does not sound when the button is non responsive. I will be swapping out this lemon with rogers asap.

09-28-11 11:03 AM
    I just registered on here just to complain about the exact same thing...My back button doesn't work most of the time. However if I hit the "Phone" button the back button quickly it will work for about 3seconds. Another trick I have learned is to hold the "Phone" button for a LONG time and then my back button seems to work for a while surprisingly...I'll be taking the phone back shortly. I really am trying to stay with blackberry...but they are really making it tough lately.
    10-13-11 09:09 PM
    Just happened to me the phone is over 30 days so it would be sent away for 3-4 weeks and get a loaner 9700. I can't do this...I can only use a touch screen. I might just buy one get the other repaired and sell it when it comes back. I'll get some money back.
    I'm just afraid this might happen again. Think I'll wait to see what happens after DevCon and make a decision from there.
    10-13-11 09:47 PM
    So now I'm on my second model of the 9850 and this problem just starting happening again. This problem alone is making me miss my Bold 9650. Does anyone know if the latest software update from Verizon fixes this issue? Also, I pay the monthly warranty through Sprint, if I have to keep reporting this problem am I going to get another phone swap out for free? I might just switch to the Bold and pay the difference. Or, god forbid, an Android based phone.
    10-19-11 08:02 PM
    How about the fact that the buttons suk! I cant belive how easy it is to type without suretype then they put these buttons that you have to FORCE down to get to work. I think its CRAZY.
    Amen, brother! A-frikkin'-men!
    10-21-11 01:17 AM
    It's unfortunate that some of you are going through the problems that you are with the back button,but to respond to some of the comments being made about how difficult it is to press the buttons. I think IMHO that they require just the perfect amount of pressure. Can you imagine if they did not require the little extra pressure that some are complaining about? You would go through every function of your phone without the touch of a button. The screen is a little to easy to activate sometimes. I would not want to deal with a screen like that AND have buttons that are too easy to press at the same time. I would rather deal with a possible software upgrade that could resolve the screen sensitivity as opposed to having buttons replaced on my phone
    10-21-11 05:39 AM
    I have had intermittent issues with my back button for a couple weeks. It has been gettin progressively worse. Now the menu button is having the same problem. Today they are completely not functional. The upgraded vzw os did not help even after a security wipe and no additional apps on the phone. I am getting a replacement from later today. I hope the replacement does not have this issue. I know 2 people with this phone and have not had this problem. I really like this phone and am disappointed.

10-21-11 09:26 AM
    Most likely the phone won't have the problem right away, but about a month into use for some reason it'll start happening. I'm on my second Torch now and its happening again after having it again for about a month. I am either replacing it for a Bold 9930, however I don't want to give up the screen size and better camera so I may just keep mine or replace it with another 9850.
    10-25-11 10:34 PM
    I have also been experiencing this issue.. intermittently. My back button will stop working in an app (can be text messages, fb, twitter - the like) and no amount of intense pressure will get it to work. I can however, hold down the menu button until the switch app pops up and then exit that option and then exit from the app. Seems weird.... and so sporadic!!

Any suggestions.... I've tried deleting apps to see if that is a problem, has anyone else done that - deleted all 3rd party apps and let it run a few days to see if that could be a problem??

TIA Crackberry friends!!
    11-22-11 07:53 AM
    Its broken there is nothing you can do...needs repair.
    Maybe in time RIM will admit they have a problem like they did with the 9900
    Good Luck
    11-22-11 08:23 AM
    Having the same problems, also found that if you press the call and hang up button then sometimes , the back and bb button respond. I will be going to see Optus store tomorrow make somebody's life happy that I can complain. I just switched from an Xperia x10 which will now be coming outta the dusty corner to run os 3.0.

Hope optus can fix the issue by replacing the phone tomorrow.
    01-09-12 12:47 AM
    any update on this one? I have the same issue and it's very annoying when it happens.

Similar to previous replies If i eventually close open apps the problem goes away. So does not appear to be a HW issue - more likely poorely written apps.
    04-29-12 02:54 PM
    There are several other threads about this, and the consensus opinion is that it's a hardware issue. USCC just replaced my phone because of this.
    04-29-12 05:17 PM
    I had this problem on my previous phone (Torch 9810). It had to be replaced. The 9860 is doing well so far. I like both the screen and the buttons.
    04-29-12 05:55 PM
    My 9850 back button was getting "soft" and lost its springy responsiveness. Hard to push but still functional. I took it into the Verizon store before it went completely bad and they confirmed it. Overnighted me a replacement. Much better now.
    05-04-12 08:16 AM
    What i did is to keep all my apps closed, and no cookies, etc in the browser. That works for a while, and i still have to hit the menu and phone buttons to restore functionality. I believe this is cpu related.
    05-04-12 08:41 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD