A disappointed (small) investor today...it hurts to see my stock drop 16% after hours and can't pull the trigger to sell. MAKE ME FEEL A BIT BETTER.....RELEASE THE 2.0 UPDATE!
    09-15-11 03:39 PM
    A disappointed (small) investor today...it hurts to see my stock drop 16% after hours and can't pull the trigger to sell. MAKE ME FEEL A BIT BETTER.....RELEASE THE 2.0 UPDATE!
    RIMM is a prime takeover candidate for sure.
    09-15-11 03:57 PM
    Down 18% now...
    09-15-11 04:27 PM
    while i think 2.0 will help. i dont think its enough to get them out of the troubles they are in...
    09-15-11 04:27 PM
    bad results, bad outlook, burning cash, all bad for the stock price.
    09-15-11 06:47 PM
    Jeeez.... cant understand why they're not acting fast to change that.
    09-15-11 06:52 PM
    Jeeez.... cant understand why they're not acting fast to change that.
    What do you think they should do?
    09-15-11 06:58 PM
    In the next quarter, catch up to the competition. After that, launch something that surpasses the competition. This requires forward thinking skating to where the pucks gonna be. So far, their actions are tripping over themselves on the way to the hockey arena.
    IvanAMANation likes this.
    09-15-11 07:13 PM
    Why did they take some long to get devices out there? That's what I don't get. The 9930 and Torch should have been out 6-8 months ago. It's seems their timing is what's killing them.

Why couldn't they get those phones out sooner? Did they just wait too long to start making them, to think them up? What happened?

If either device was available 6 months ago,I would have still been with BlackBerry. I was waiting for an all touch after my Tour was two years old, and when the S2 was old. Their timing is bad.
    09-15-11 07:17 PM
    In the next quarter, catch up to the competition. After that, launch something that surpasses the competition. This requires forward thinking skating to where the pucks gonna be. So far, their actions are tripping over themselves on the way to the hockey arena.
    Any ideas on how to catch up to competition?
    09-15-11 07:23 PM
    Can't control the stranglehold Apple has on mobile devices right now. Apple markets their products far better and the casual tech user understands how to use them and thinks they really are getting the best products.

Apple is eating RIM's lunch right now and even with what I think are better phones and a better tablet, most people will jump at all things Apple. RIM really needs to market its products better to consumers more than it has in recent years.

Think about it, Apple will show tv spots of a grandfather seeing his grandchild for the first time though facetime, refer to products as "magical", play nice little tunes, talk about features on the iPhone as if they are truly unique or useful. Brilliant marketing, people eat it up.

What does RIM do? Plays a tv spot of the Playbook web browsing and Queen singing "Flash-ah-ah"? Really? Or "superapps"? Or people using BBM? Truly pathetic marketing when compared to Apple or even some Droid or Evo ads.

I might not like RIM's stock right now, but I luv the Playbook and have enjoyed their Blackberry phones for years...
    manofice1, Chrisy and Xpl0i7 like this.
    09-15-11 07:24 PM
    they should spend whatever cash they have left to outsource their marketing. thats all they need. their products are great already. they just need better marketing efforts.
    09-15-11 07:29 PM
    18% is very serious ,I hope they will survive!
    09-15-11 07:30 PM
    Why is this in the playbook section? RIM is more then the playbook.
    09-15-11 07:33 PM
    Any ideas on how to catch up to competition?
    Get rid of co-CEO 1 and co-CEO 2, for starters.
    Setanta and IvanAMANation like this.
    09-15-11 07:34 PM
    When did RIM change their name to RIMM?
    09-15-11 07:35 PM
    What, nobody's making a post for each decimal percent change?
    09-15-11 07:36 PM
    18% is very serious ,I hope they will survive!
    As they run low on capital, things will get very tight for them. One more bad quarter, and they will have problems borrowing money when they run out of cash. That leads to layoffs, no more R&D, difficulty in securing parts for manufacture. And all of this will happen in the next four quarters, before they know what hit them.
    09-15-11 07:38 PM
    Buy, buy, buy....the stock will jump when the take-over bid is announced.

Hard to say who just yet, but RIM is ripe for the pickings(as long as the 2 CEO's aren't telling fibs)
    09-15-11 07:40 PM
    true its time to buy
    09-15-11 07:47 PM
    Who would want to take over RIM? It makes its own phones and OS. its patents aren't as plentiful as Motorola. Microsoft already made a deal with Nokia for Windows phones. Google just has the OS for several makers of Android based phones. Apple only makes one type of slab touch only phone.

RIM would have to be completely bankrupt before someone wants to take them over and then it wouldn't be for its blackberry or playbook business, it would be for the patents. I am talking penny stock levels.

RIM is still too big and its products are proprietary, in other words if RIM cannot make the Blackberry or Playbook lines succeed, no one else is going to come in thinking they possibly can...
    09-15-11 07:57 PM
    When did RIM change their name to RIMM?
    That's their stock market ID - with two M's.
    09-15-11 09:04 PM
    I don't get it - we all expected this quarter to be bad, so why are we so shocked when they confirmed our belief? Wait until the next quarter when they can talk sales of the OS 7 devices. RIM isn't going to magically disappear or be acquired, so all we can do is wait.
    09-15-11 09:07 PM
    Who would want to take over RIM? It makes its own phones and OS. its patents aren't as plentiful as Motorola. Microsoft already made a deal with Nokia for Windows phones. Google just has the OS for several makers of Android based phones. Apple only makes one type of slab touch only phone.

RIM would have to be completely bankrupt before someone wants to take them over and then it wouldn't be for its blackberry or playbook business, it would be for the patents. I am talking penny stock levels.

RIM is still too big and its products are proprietary, in other words if RIM cannot make the Blackberry or Playbook lines succeed, no one else is going to come in thinking they possibly can...
    They may not have as many patents as Motorola, but the patents they do have are more substantial.

A takeover isn't going to happen because the Canadian government wouldn't allow it.

I firmly believe that RIM just needs to stay the course and stick to its plan. For years we talked about the demise of another fruit-themed company and look where they are now...
    09-15-11 09:12 PM
    Oh gee, i dont know, how about get their b*tts in gear and show the consumer marketplace they r willing to compete again instead of the now failed "you will take what we give you" strategy.

Here's an idea. When you market a tablet as "the worlds first professional grade tablet", how about actually releasing and updating the device so it isnt just a pretty web browsing toy 5 months later and still missing over half of what was promised.

It STILL is stuck with a hard-coded 5 minute time-out limit? really???

One more bad quarter, and they will have problems borrowing money when they run out of cash. That leads to layoffs, no more R&D,
    how could you tell the difference? look at the state the tablet is in 5 months post launch. Just where r they spending money on research and development?
    Last edited by kb5zht; 09-15-11 at 09:19 PM.
    09-15-11 09:16 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD