I have had the 9930 for a little over 2 weeks and the GPS works only sometimes. Am comparing this one to the gps in my BB curve that was always reliable. This is a major problem, have been with ver tech support, have been sent a new phone and still no permanent solution. Would appreciate any help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 07:42 AM
    Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with the GPS reception reliability I've experienced. Don't know if it's OS related or Hardware. When I upgraded to OS .353 I lost GPS functionality. .254 works and .340 works but I've had times when I couldn't get location information.
    09-15-11 08:10 AM
    my gps works fine on the 9900 just the compass is annoying as **** to get workig
    09-15-11 10:25 AM
    I have my gps running 24/7 on my 9930 because I have beweather update every 30 mins based on my LBS location so I always have up to date weather info on my current location. It almost never screws up on me.

09-15-11 10:41 AM
    Sometimes i got problem with my GPS too, but not just with my 9900.I tried it a few times and see if my 9900 dosent works it the same for my tomtom navigator and same for the 9700 or iphone.

Just two weeks ago i read an article that GPS is overallocated and it will get worse till 2014/2015 when europe supposely finish their Galileo program.
    09-15-11 10:47 AM
    If you are on Verizon you might try plunking down 10 bucks and have a go with VZ Navigator. If it still cant keep up its probably your phone. I havent had a problem with mine and Google maps lately.
    09-15-11 10:51 AM
    Never noticed a problem with my 9930 and GPS. Anytime I have used Blackberry Traffic to navigate it has worked flawlessly.
    09-15-11 11:03 AM
    Is google navigation available for BB? That is the one thing that I do miss from my Dinc. It worked flawlessly, if not is their some other navigation app that doesn't just give directions? Or is VZ Navigator my only option?

09-15-11 11:09 AM
    To "NPUNK42" Yes it is the VZW Nav from Verizon that is giving me these 'updating location'messages endlessly w/o ever latching onto my location. In fact this gps has not been able to do anything since yesterday about 6pm. Verizon sent a network extender but that hasn't changed anything, more bars, but location search not working. Of course, google maps on my IPad works fine, but the phone and step by step vocal directions are what i pay Verizon monthly to use and this 9930 GPS is malfunctioning.

09-16-11 12:28 PM
    Am very unhappy with Verizon--my GPS worked for about 3 days, as of now it has not functioned since Monday. When i speak to the tech dept via phone, ppl are nice but not one of them has been honest enough to tell me what the problem is.....yet i read above that some blkbry9930 owners have functioning gps software. If there is any help, please advise me on a way to get my gps working.

To "NPUNK42" Yes it is the VZW Nav from Verizon that is giving me these 'updating location'messages endlessly w/o ever latching onto my location. In fact this gps has not been able to do anything since yesterday about 6pm. Verizon sent a network extender but that hasn't changed anything, more bars, but location search not working. Of course, google maps on my IPad works fine, but the phone and step by step vocal directions are what i pay Verizon monthly to use and this 9930 GPS is malfunctioning.

09-30-11 01:15 AM
    My 9900 GPS is spot on, i get a fix within seconds of opening the compass or going into the options then device then gps settings.

Theres obviously a major problem with your device...funny how its the CDMA models of these phones that are giving people headaches...
    09-30-11 08:26 AM
    My 9930 on Sprint has not had any problem whatsoever with GPS.
    09-30-11 08:47 AM
    My actual GPS works fine on my VzW 9930 other than Foursquare, which I assume is a Foursquare issue because every new release seems to get worse. My BBMaps and my BeWeather all update almost instantly.

09-30-11 10:15 AM
    9930 vz. Gps unreliable. Anything that uses this goes haywire. For example google maps,yelp both do not update correctly and frequently give me incorrect location search results.

Yelp thinks I'm in different cities, google maps is way off.

So any location based app is basically broken.

I'm not paying for Verizon gps. I don't need directions. I do want to use gps based service though.

Not sure what to do.
    10-01-11 09:36 PM
    I have same issue. it shows connected but is only "found" 3 times a day.
    The operating system 7.1 upgrade does nothing.
    My support people where I work and issued me thie POS said the phone is so new they (blackberry) have not got the GPS to work yet.. but they still sent me it and I travel over 5k a month.

Different GPS programs have same issue. they pop up and say "no gps"..

ARGGGGGGG

I have had the 9930 for a little over 2 weeks and the GPS works only sometimes. Am comparing this one to the gps in my BB curve that was always reliable. This is a major problem, have been with ver tech support, have been sent a new phone and still no permanent solution. Would appreciate any help.

01-24-12 09:26 PM
    No same problem with Google.. tho Google will use cell phone towers to triangulate a radius.

Is google navigation available for BB? That is the one thing that I do miss from my Dinc. It worked flawlessly, if not is their some other navigation app that doesn't just give directions? Or is VZ Navigator my only option?

01-24-12 09:28 PM
    I have a Verizon 9930. I have had zero problems with the GPS and no problems with Navigator. However, I only used Navigator one month and then picked up TeleNav. Again, no problems. None.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-24-12 09:54 PM
    Hi, I had difficulty with my GPS cutting out on my BB9900 with OS7.1 - I started the phone in Safe Mode (hold down the back button during a reboot right up to the login) and it worked fine. I worked my way through each of the apps on my phone,starting them up and waiting a few minutes to see if the GPS was still functioning. Eventually, I found the app that was conflicting - WeatherEye, with the Location setting to ON was causing the issue. I removed WeatherEye, now it works fine.
    06-05-12 10:24 PM
    Are we talking about 9930 GPS or Maps? On mine, it's called Maps. It's a navigation system. It will pinpoint where you are. Great for walking in unfamiliar places like on vacation. I was in Chicago two weeks ago for vacation and we walked everywhere. The green flashing circle was us and we knew we were going the right way as long as the green flashing circle was moving along the map's route. However, it stopped giving us directions about mid-week. Fortunately, by then, we had figured out where we were and based on brochure maps and laptop (prior research), we knew which direction we needed to be, so we could figure it out with the flashing green circle even though we had no "route" to follow. Has this happened to anyone else? Everything else works fine but just doesn't give directions anymore. I've rebooted and that hasn't fixed the problem.
    10-08-12 11:53 PM
    I am having a similar problem on my 9850. Before the last bundle upgrade (I'm, at 7.1 Bundle 1737 / v7.1.0.580 now), my GPS/ BBMaps used to pinpoint me down to the gnats-a$$, without any problem. It was quick with my current location, tracked well when I was in motion, and speed indicator was right on.
    However AFTER the upgrade, I'm lucky if I get a radius any smaller that two miles. And on the rare occasion where I actually DO get my true location, it works for about a minute, then starts bouncing between actual and a radius of a couple hundred (to a couple THOUSAND) feet, and back again...
    Google Maps generally just tells me "GPS Temporarily Unavailable"

Has anyone else had the same experience? Anyone know of any fixes? Or some setting that I may have misses?

Thanks,
    Jackyl71
    10-09-12 10:25 AM
    9930 with GSM network simcard inside, when running Google Maps always says "GPS unavailable" and cannot give me my correct location, usually with my old device curve 8900, even without GPS (indoor) it can still uses wifi or mobile network BTS to pin point my location and show it on Google Maps, when i choose My Location, i upgraded/change device to new 9930 and it is not working anymore is this a manufacturing defects on all 9930? or is it software bugs? currently i'm using the latest OS officially from Verizon 7.1.0.755.

i try to use the BlackBerry native Maps application, it can give me my location based on GPS (outdoor) but it is not accurate as it was when i use curve 8900.

why is this new 9930 that supposed to be the top of the line product of Bold series working like crap, GPS failure, Camera is blur when taking close objects or text, and the battery life is a joke
    01-17-13 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD