Hey guys

Up front disclosure, I'm not a noob.

We're having some GPS issues across multiple 9700s running OS6.

• I have pulled the battery
    • I have made sure GPS is set to Location ON
    • I have replaced SIM
    • There is NO BES policy
    • I have updated under clear blue sky facing towards the southerly sky

GPS fails getting its update

Is there a bug in OS6 with the GPS?

Do I need to downgrade these devices to OS 5?

One user is on their 4th device and another on their 2nd, and the GPS is still broken. They need Google Maps and GM is killing the battery with it's constant GPS polls that are failing. (and no, we don't need AT&T Navigator or whatever it's called, Google Maps has worked for other devices, it should work on the 9700, but the GPS is failing).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by drsprite; 09-14-11 at 10:25 AM.
    09-14-11 10:21 AM
    Have you tried blackberry maps? Tried it with newer or older OS 6 versions 6.0.0.448 and newer? Used apploader to upgrade to newer or downgrade to older versions?

OS 5 should be a last resort.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 11:30 AM
    Havent tried Blackberry Maps. Currently when I go into GPS settings and choose "Refresh Now", it goes about 60 seconds before giving a "Failure" message.

Other blackberries that I've tested with will "chug" until they lock on. Seems like the 9700 isn't even trying to lock, just sits there then fails.

I would think I want that to work in its most simplest form before trying Google Maps or Blackberry Maps again.
    09-14-11 12:06 PM
    Some versions of OS6 are renowned to give problems with GPS.

What version are you running? I'm on 615 at present and have no problem with GPS and Google Maps. It locks within just a few seconds and even works indoors if fairly close to a window. Normally will find at least 7 satellites.

Alan.
    09-14-11 04:38 PM
    Have you performed the internal self-test of the GPS? Go Options / Device / Device and Status Information and type test. You won't see the letters echoed on the screen. The GPS test is the last test on the main menu. If that fails while outdoors with a clear view of the sky, you have a warranty claim. As a point of reference, mine just fixed in 40441 ms. Verizon Bold 9650 running OS 6.0.0.524
    09-14-11 04:50 PM
    As I wrote in a dozen of posts here and in any other BB forum I found my 9700 has a localization problem using os6 and 3G network. It seems that it tries to find position using both GPS and network, and the result is the BIS disconnects, so no position is found. Using GPRS network it works fine. I am under Vodafone Italy.

I solved the problem:
    - using 2G, but it is too slow
    - reverting to os5.

Disabling assisted GPS doesn't solve.
    09-15-11 05:36 AM
    Am on my 2nd 9930, GPS works fine for a few trips then doesn't work at all--this is a very important feature on my phone, obviously i constantly need to be able to get from point A to point B. Verizon tech support has tried but been unable to solve problem. This happens in my home, on the expressway and in other locations. Is anyone else having this problem -- my phone company wants me to go to an iphone or Android.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 07:55 AM
    Have you performed the internal self-test of the GPS? Go Options / Device / Device and Status Information and type test. You won't see the letters echoed on the screen. The GPS test is the last test on the main menu. If that fails while outdoors with a clear view of the sky, you have a warranty claim. As a point of reference, mine just fixed in 40441 ms. Verizon Bold 9650 running OS 6.0.0.524
    I will give this a try. As I've said, this is the 4th device for one user and the 2nd for the other, so we've done plenty of hardware warranty swaps. Just frustrating hitting your head against the wall.

Even more frustrating is calling AT&T and telling them you have a GPS problem and they try and sell you their $10/mo GPS application.

*sigh*
    09-15-11 10:33 AM
    ...Even more frustrating is calling AT&T and telling them you have a GPS problem and they try and sell you their $10/mo GPS application.

*sigh*
    That's not out of the question. Verizon did it for years. They don't anymore on current devices, but they once disabled the GPS on the 8330 and 8830 for all but their VZNav app.
    09-15-11 10:50 AM
    That's not out of the question. Verizon did it for years. They don't anymore on current devices, but they once disabled the GPS on the 8330 and 8830 for all but their VZNav app.
    Understood, but I have other AT&T handhelds without GPS issue running Google Maps or Blackberry Maps. These 2 seem to be the bigger problems for some reason.
    09-15-11 11:00 AM
    GPR HARDWARE PROBLEM 9700
    I replaced my mainboard and now the GPS is not working.

Ive done all normal GPS software tests
    � I have pulled the battery
    � I have made sure GPS is set to Location ON
    � I have replaced SIM
    � There is NO BES policy
    � I have updated under clear blue sky facing towards the southerly sky

Is there possibly a fault with the mainboard or is it software.

OS.5

Is there diagrams of the mainboard so I can check it out

Any help will be great.
    02-27-12 05:02 AM
    It could be that you didn't replace the WiFi/GPS antenna correctly. This is a common issue with refurbished 9700 devices
    02-27-12 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD