Hey guys, I received 9900 last thursday (shipped to me by telus). Yesterday, while at work my phone reboot itself for no reason. This evening at work it happened again :s. Now the reason I notice this is that my phone is on my desk infront of me. When I'm at home I'm not watching the screen all the time. This makes me wonder how many times this has happened already (if it has outside of these 2 occasisons I witnessed) this has happened. Anybody experienced this issue? I'm running stock out the box carrier os. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Update: I called their tech support dept and the dude told me that what they would do is make me return my phone to factory default settings. And if it still power cycles they would deem it defective. At that point they would mail me another one and I'd put this one in the return package and send it back. Honestly, how would returning to factory setting resolve the issue?
    Last edited by TelusBB; 09-13-11 at 07:07 PM.
    09-13-11 06:47 PM
    Could be something conflicting somewhere if it wasn't set at its default specs. Interestingly my Rogers device just did this at the office too and like you I wonder if it has happened before and I just haven't noticed it. Very strange.
    09-14-11 12:46 AM
    yea, mine too. rebooting randomly sometimes, but it all happened when i was not using it.
    09-14-11 12:58 AM
    What versions of software are you guys using? I'm wondering if it's hardware or software related. I have 2 friends with rogers devices and they haven't experienced the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 01:30 AM
    I'm on my 3rd handset in a week and they have ALL randomly rebooted. On the 3rd one I even tried just using it as is with NO upgrading anything and adding no apps whatsoever and it made no difference. Still randomly reboots itself. Seems to freeze first and I am very often reading or sending SMS text messages when it happens, sometimes BBM (when it's working!) and have had it happen when the phone is just sitting on the desk. I have now deleted all extra, unused software - things that came already installed. I would love to know the solution because otherwise I love the 9900. At least the reboot is fast!
    09-16-11 03:24 PM
    I'm on my 3rd handset in a week and they have ALL randomly rebooted. On the 3rd one I even tried just using it as is with NO upgrading anything and adding no apps whatsoever and it made no difference. Still randomly reboots itself. Seems to freeze first and I am very often reading or sending SMS text messages when it happens, sometimes BBM (when it's working!) and have had it happen when the phone is just sitting on the desk. I have now deleted all extra, unused software - things that came already installed. I would love to know the solution because otherwise I love the 9900. At least the reboot is fast!

Something weird is going on.. Because I have 2 friends with same phone running the same version of software I'm running (they're with rogers) and their 9900's are not giving them this issue. I'm waiting on my replacement device to arrive from telus. What carrier are you with?

09-16-11 04:27 PM
    Before bringing it I would do a wipe and a clean install and see what happens...

Sent from my Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-16-11 05:49 PM
    My wifes 9900 was doing this, seemed to caused by the weather channel app as far as we could tell; but manual reboot seemed to fix it. Funny thing is, we both had 9810's before settling on the 9900, and her 9810 was randomly rebooting. Because of this, I feel it is most likely software related.
    09-16-11 09:24 PM
    I have this problem I've tried .261 and .353 now I dont have the weather app randomly happens mostly when Im not even using my phone its not overheating or anything
    09-16-11 10:06 PM
    Yup..I'm getting the feeling that's it's most likely software related and switching my device wouldn't solve the problem. It seems like these early versions of software have alot of glitches. Maybe the rush to push out these phones to save face is the route of this...maybe the didn't spend enough time testing these versions of software out. Now i'm wondering if the swap device on the way to me in mail is a waste of time.
    09-16-11 10:39 PM
    i have a telus 9900, i've noticed mine reboot as well.
    09-17-11 02:15 AM
    I'd agree with those who also believe this issue to be software related. It's a glitch in the OS somewhere with some factory installed application that is causing this to happen. I'd wipe the device once and then recheck, Also I would update the OS on the device for this.
    09-17-11 06:08 AM
    Might be skynet taking over the world, you never know...
    beantown85 likes this.
    09-17-11 06:36 AM
    it's about hardware issues, especially in battery
    09-17-11 06:38 AM
    I had this problem and upgraded to the latest OS leak and did not have it again.
    09-17-11 07:13 AM
    I've had mine reboot on me twice in a month now, not bad at all. For me both times it was while the GPS would have been in use. The weather apps can use GPS to determine location for weather, Poynt uses GPS, Wikitude, Blackberry Traffic... those are the ones I have. Just curious if any similar apps were running in the background when you had your issues?
    09-17-11 09:26 AM
    I usually don't bump old threads but I just had this happen to me and did a search on CB to see if anyone else had this issue, kind of good to see that I'm not the only one.

I've had it for about a week now and it just happened out of nowhere tonight. I'm not totally sure what's causing it, but now I know that it's nothing too crazy if it's happening to other people. Maybe an update will solve it, who knows.
    11-06-11 08:25 PM
    lol just this morning happend to me three time. since i've upgraded to 540 its been worse than ever. Looks like BS OS
    11-15-11 06:24 AM
    damn phone is now even usable anymore lol
    11-18-11 01:49 PM
    My phone has done this a couple times. One time in particular it was very inconvenient. Since then though I haven't seen it happen. However I have seen the screen not wake up right away when holding the wake button sometimes.
    11-18-11 06:33 PM
    Started for me yesterday. I'm thinking it's a bad SIM card. I just switched providers yesterday so all signs point to bad SIM.

11-23-11 06:59 AM
    Update: I called their tech support dept and the dude told me that what they would do is make me return my phone to factory default settings. And if it still power cycles they would deem it defective. At that point they would mail me another one and I'd put this one in the return package and send it back. Honestly, how would returning to factory setting resolve the issue?
    It doesn't! I've had the same, on BOTH 9900's i've had since the release! The first one froze for a second and rebooted, the second one that I have now kept rebooting even after re-installing the OS.

I installed a newer firmware, found at the top of this sections. This fixed a lot of issues. It shouldn't happen, customers shouldn't have to become a RIM tech support engineer because they released a gigantic fail that will propably cost them even more customers... but thats just the way it is!
    11-23-11 07:05 AM
    I only had reboot maybe once a month? Guess it's not an issue I hope.
    11-23-11 07:21 AM
    I've had mine for about two weeks now. It did it last week while sitting on my desk. I was too busy to think about it then. But it just happened a few minutes ago. Same scenario...just sitting on my desk.
    01-18-12 05:07 PM
    Happens to me each time I overload the browser
    01-18-12 10:00 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD