Has anyone here dropped their phone yet? If so, did you notice any physical damage to the phone, the stiffness of the screen when closed, and any damage/looseness to the slider mechanism?
    09-12-11 10:47 PM
    Dropped mine on a hardwood floor the other day from about waist height. Im 5'9". Everything is still good to go with mine. I have the white 9810. No scratches or dings at all. Waiting for my case to come in the mail from degasis.
    09-12-11 11:51 PM
    Have you noticed since you dropped it that the phone screen is loose or wobbles? Debating whether or not to get a case
    09-13-11 12:09 AM
    I haven't dropped the 9810. Yet.

I dropped my 9800 a few times though, and one time did tweak the slider. I was trying to holster it and completely missed somehow, so I basically shoved the phone straight down onto concrete from waist height. It landed on the top left corner, took a chunk out of the bezel, messed up the lock button, and tweaked the slider. After that, there was a noticeable gap at the bottom between the screen half and the body/keyboard half when the phone was closed. A lot of the time when sliding it closed, it wouldn't even register as closed until I pressed down on the trackpad area.

Here's a picture. You can see how the screen half is kinda lifted up at the bottom so it doesn't sit flush and even.
    http://www.bigmenterprises.net/uploads/1315929917.jpg

And because I'm a big moron I still refuse to get a case.
    09-13-11 12:43 AM
    I dropped mine today for the first time. Knocked it off the seat at a resteraunt to the hardwood floor.

I think I got away with it though.

No visible damage.

Phweeew.

Not a fan of cases on any of my BB devices. Always beeb a fan of the naked look. Especially one new Torch as I opted for the sleek white one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 01:15 AM
    NO wobbles at all here. Not loose at all either.
    09-13-11 02:03 AM
    I'd say be careful with your phones and do use a protective cover, It really helps. But if unfortunately you manage to damage your device, do replace the fascia of the phone OEM Black Full housing faceplate Blackberry Torch 9800 | eBay
    09-13-11 02:19 AM
    Twice already. Once from a 3 feet table in my office on a Tile. It hit sideways and then tumbled.
    2nd time by my 3 y.o. Dropped it on the screen onto a Marble floor. She says the phone is too heavy to hold properly :-)

Nothing serious. I keep on dropping my phones , now and then.....

I never protect my phone with the cases. Find them too bulky. Just have a SP on.
    Whatever happens happens for the best :-)
    09-13-11 02:35 AM
    Just a very tiny ding that you have to hunt for. No ill effects. Getting an OEM Hard Shell Case to see how it looks. It would be my first case since my 8310.

09-13-11 05:55 AM
    Dropped it three times. One onto concrete which left a tiny scar on the rubbery dark trim. The other times were on hardwood floor in my house.
    No ill effect at all after any of the drops.
    That said, I got an Otterbox.
    09-13-11 07:51 AM
    Dropped it three times. One onto concrete which left a tiny scar on the rubbery dark trim. The other times were on hardwood floor in my house.
    No ill effect at all after any of the drops.
    That said, I got an Otterbox.
    At least you didn't run this one over. Yet.

09-13-11 10:38 AM
    Dropped it onto to concrete from shirt pocket height and landed face down.
    Only slight damage on all 4 corners of the bezel - I think the bezel must be made out of aluminum or some kind of alloy metal because the damage sure doesn't look like plastic. No wobble or problems with the slider though.
    09-13-11 12:05 PM
    I like the naked look but was thinking of getting a case but I just don't like the look of the phone with a case on it. All of them look bad IMO.

And just in case anyone wants to order new parts for their 9810 to make it shiny and new again...

Replacement Parts

...I was wondering though, who could I get to do the work? I certainly don't trust myself and I'm assuming our carriers don't do this, or do they? If they don't - I maybe see an opportunity here! Kinda like a "GeekSquad" thingy for mobile devices!
    09-13-11 12:29 PM
    WOW! Each of you had angels! I dropped Torch 1 and watched it fall in slow motion. Broke my heart. It went downhill from there, with functions failing one after the other, after the other,So, got a Torch 2!
    09-13-11 07:02 PM
    Bet your supporting a case now?
    09-13-11 07:49 PM
    My 9800 looked a little worse for wear from multiple drops (asphalt, marble floors, etc.). I dropped this one once on the marble floor in front of my office elevator, with no noticeable damage, no wobbles, etc. This device feels pretty solid.
    09-14-11 07:47 AM
    Bet your supporting a case now?
    LMAO! Always had a case, but Torch 2 isn't allowed to go outside anywhere near my patio! Learned that lesson with Torch 1!
    09-15-11 07:13 PM
    Dropped once about 3ft, no issues here
    09-15-11 07:23 PM
    So I had my clip attached to my belt. Somehow it wasn't on correctly and fell on the top right hand Corner near the mute button. Driving to where I had to go I was pissed off . But then went to the att store and thought of putting insurance on.so I did. But I can't reallly notice it. I like to keep my phone bare naked. And will keep it that way. But man do I love my torch! Coming from the 9800 never droped it. Then droped my 9810 and paid full price for it. Kinda feels like your droping your infant. Takes your breath away....

09-17-11 03:46 AM
    WOW! Each of you had angels! I dropped Torch 1 and watched it fall in slow motion. Broke my heart. It went downhill from there, with functions failing one after the other, after the other,So, got a Torch 2!
    Angels?

My first torch took a swim in pizza sauce, couldn't be cleaned or fixed(touchscreen stopped working) second torch(refurb, insurance replacement) took a dip in a deep fat fryer(took it entirely apart and it still works other then being slightly melted, as well as having 3 huge scratches in the actual LCD), third torch was kept well away from the line at work, but had several falls and always on the top part that isn't protected by the pocket pouch.
    09-17-11 06:50 AM
    So I bought my torch the first day and for some reason the clip wasn't on securely and fell on the pavement. Everything just stop for a quick second.picked up the torch and found a little ding on the top right near the mute button. Man I was so pissed. Paid full price for this phone and the first freaking day it fell. Oh well. I'm still not going to rock a case. I learned to love the bareness of the phone. The silver torch seems very prone to accidents. Seems more slipery.
    09-18-11 03:15 AM
    OK, so I threw my Torch 9810 in my pack on a recent multi-day backpacking trip. Question: Where's the one place on a Torch where a scratch can do the most damage? Answer: On the clear plastic housing that covers the camera/flash area on the back of the device. (More of a dent, really, but it renders the camera unusable -blurry/no auto focus). Is it possible to source a new replacement cover from Blackberry or a 3rd party, and is it even possible to replace this cover? (No, I didn't buy the protection plan- *****!). Anyone tried this with any similar Blackberry device?
    09-19-11 11:14 PM
    I knocked mine off my dresser in the middle of the night. From about 4' high onto hard tile flooring. However, I had an otterbox on. It must have landed on the bottom left corner because the front portion of the case (the top half that fits around the screen) cracked in half. No damage to the phone at all though, thank goondess.

Anyone need the back half to an otterbox case?
    09-20-11 08:18 AM
    I dropped mine last night from about four feet onto a tiled kitchen floor. The AFG GRT case blew apart taking the impact so the phone does not have a mark on it. The strangest thing happened a few minutes later though - the evil "102" error code came on in a blank screen! I had to reload the OS once again (twice so far in about a month). Never expected that issue from a dropped phone.

10-06-11 04:44 AM
    Can nyone help me to know who supplies the Bezel for 9800 Torch, i've dropped few times, nd need to replace the original body bezel. Thanks
    10-09-11 10:59 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD