I have got to say Blackberry has got to be the worst company when it comes to built quality and quality control.

first device = 9700 (Problem with sinking track pad, lots and lots of light bleed probably because the bezel doesn't fit right and uneven paint on keyboard)

second device = 9780 (Problem with the famous key stuttering issue, lots and lots of light bleed probably because the bezel doesn't fit right and uneven paint on keyboard. i got fed up prying the device open over and over again to try to find a solution to fix it (search for my post regarding that), so i finally sold it cheap and bought me my third device

Third Device = 9300 (Got fed up with blackberry, decided not to ever use blackberry, but where i live and work requires me to have one so i decided to buy the cheapest one, hence the entry level 9300. To my surprise this device is FLAWLESS, feels solid!!! Not a single defect)

Fourth Device = Revert back to 9780 (Work requires me to have a better camera, kept the 9300 for my cousin, and bought me yet another 9780 but this time there is no stuttering issue, only the usual build quality problem.)

Additional Device = 9630 (Personal use, FLAWLESS, no defects,solid, used)

For all you readers, i think you can get the picture here. With blackberry, you don't always get good or better build quality device with higher entry level devices (the same goes for torch, storm etc etc). Such Irony. Don't know why this is happening, but i think "blackberry it's time to pull your thumb out of your A55, work your A55 of for build quality and improve quality control"

Hope you are reading this blackberry...
    09-11-11 12:54 PM
    And beyond all this there something called the LUCK FACTOR ...
    looks like this is what makes the difference!
    09-11-11 03:32 PM
    Easy answer - Made in Mexico

Easy fix - shut down the shoddy Mexican manufacturing plants... sorted
    09-11-11 03:43 PM
    My 9780 for example..never had all the issue mentioned on the threads I wonder how come�??
    Only a few times it started to shutter the menu button only, found a solution (without opening ) and it has behaved since then.

P.S. I have a brand new I phone 4, Torch 9800 , a dissemblied 9700 and an other 9780. I never did want to change mine though
    09-11-11 04:55 PM

What abt the cheap, sub-standard China made parts RIM's incorporating these days to curtail costs
    09-12-11 09:59 AM
    What abt the cheap, sub-standard China made parts RIM's incorporating these days to curtail costs
    True.

I've also wondered why a currently available for $49 motorola razr feels like a precision instrument compared to my $450 BB (go ahead, call me as sucker- that's what I paid for my 9780)

My 9780 along with every 9700 (and let's not even go to the curves) I've handled had some flex and plasticy creakyness to it...

Now that my keypad stuttering is long gone, that's the main gripe about these things.

Make a device feel like a precision tool. Motorola especially and to an extent Nokia had this figured out long time ago...
    09-12-11 01:56 PM

Well said. That is what needs to be done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 04:07 AM
    Ugh, I have a device made in Mexico. Isn't some 9780's assembled in Hungary? Does European markets still get devices from Mexico?
    09-13-11 08:09 AM
    Yeah I think you're on to something with the Mexican factories. My 9700 was made in Hungary and it is 100% solid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 08:15 AM
    I have to disagree also. Over the last 5 years, I have had 4 Blackberry's (9100, 9000, 9000, 9780) and all have performed flawlessly (OK - the trackball on a 9000 jammed once and I had to blow it with can of gas to get it working again). This reliability is the opposite to a number of friends with iphones - although their biggest problem seems to be cracked screens!

We get company phones and many of us do periodic remote fieldwork. Recently we were given the option of an upgrade to 9780, iphone4 or HTC (Android). 4 of 4 of the people I was working with last week are choosing another BB because of the reliability, antennae performance and battery life. One of those had a personal iphone as well as the company BB on site. The BB was showing 3 bars and the iphone 'no signal' - with the same carrier!

My 9780 is made in Hungary BTW.
    Last edited by carsten; 09-14-11 at 10:59 PM.
    09-14-11 12:26 AM
    Ugh, I have a device made in Mexico. Isn't some 9780's assembled in Hungary? Does European markets still get devices from Mexico?
    For Europe it's assembled in Hungary. Sadly....
    09-14-11 12:27 AM
    For Europe it's assembled in Hungary. Sadly....
    Is this a bad thing? My Bold is bought in Europe, but is still made in Mexico. This is making no sense.
    09-14-11 11:55 PM
    Is this a bad thing?
    Yes and No.
    Yes because they had a lot of problems with poor quality
    No because it has gotten better.
    Still I get the Feeling that the Q&A at the Blackberry Factories should be much better
    09-15-11 01:46 AM
    I had a 9700 for a year, back when it was still on OS5, summer of 2010.
    Let me tell you, the phone's quality was just SUPERB. I had used iPhones and other phones but the build quality of my 9700 was just amazing. No problems at all, it has been the only phone I've ever owned without one single hardware problem, actually.

I then bought a 3GS, something I regretted, so I went back to RIM with the 9780 I got last May.
    I don't have the stutter problem but the quality is not what I quite expected. The bezel is loose, there is a light leakage and, when I press the call and menu keys, there is, sometimes, that screen distortion. Many buttons also have that annoying "clicky" sound, like there is a tatted piece of paper underneath the keypad and this is what annoys me the most!! I feel like the phone is VERY sensitive, in general and I treat it like a baby and I'm dead serious.
    I'm quite frustrated; I was sure the quality would be the same my 9700 came with but nothing like this happened. The money I paid for the latter was less and the quality was a lot better. Plus, my 9780 is made in Hungary, so it shouldn't have any problem. I totally love the phone, it's very pretty and performs very well but, let's face the facts.

I even thought of going back to a 9700 and I'm still thinking of it. I'd choose the brilliant build quality over OS6 anytime and, even this is not a problem, since the 9700 is OS6 compatible.
    Last edited by GeorgeRussos; 09-15-11 at 07:05 AM.
    09-15-11 07:03 AM
    That clicky sound is often times one of the trademark blackberry things people like about these handsets. Myself included. That is if we're talking about the same sound lol.

Personally I like that sound. I also never had any of the build issues you speak of with my 9780 except the stuttering which has apparently been fixed.

I personally love the look and feel of the 9780, and just on a side note LOVE the battery life on this unit, not to mention the camera.
    09-15-11 09:33 AM
    That clicky sound is often times one of the trademark blackberry things people like about these handsets. Myself included. That is if we're talking about the same sound lol.

Personally I like that sound. I also never had any of the build issues you speak of with my 9780 except the stuttering which has apparently been fixed.

I personally love the look and feel of the 9780, and just on a side note LOVE the battery life on this unit, not to mention the camera.
    I'm not talking about that sound. It's like I mentioned above, it's as there is a piece of tatted paper underneath. It shouldn't do that, but anyway, I can live with it.

The battery life is great and so is the camera, I agree with you. Especially the battery. It's the best one I've ever had.
    09-15-11 11:09 AM
    I've never had issues with any of my Blackberrys either. I currently have a 9780 and while the stutter key is a very minor annoyance, that is the only negative thing I can say. The 9700 was by far my best device both in terms of build and feel (still like that keyboard the best). I will agree on one thing; even though the 9300 is a lower end BB with a somewhat lousy camera, it did work flawlessly and was even pretty easy to type on. I'm thinking however that even though I never owned one, I'd would say the best Blackberry ever was the original Bold with that big fat form factor. I can't say yet about the 9900 because I haven't had a chance to work with one. Definitely hoping to do that some time in the future.
    09-16-11 07:52 AM
    I've never had issues with any of my Blackberrys either. I currently have a 9780 and while the stutter key is a very minor annoyance, that is the only negative thing I can say. The 9700 was by far my best device both in terms of build and feel (still like that keyboard the best). I will agree on one thing; even though the 9300 is a lower end BB with a somewhat lousy camera, it did work flawlessly and was even pretty easy to type on. I'm thinking however that even though I never owned one, I'd would say the best Blackberry ever was the original Bold with that big fat form factor. I can't say yet about the 9900 because I haven't had a chance to work with one. Definitely hoping to do that some time in the future.
    The 9000 is DEFINITELY the best BlackBerry ever made and will always be. It is just perfect. I envy my sister so much, she has one.
    09-16-11 10:34 AM
    The 9000 is DEFINITELY the best BlackBerry ever made and will always be. It is just perfect. I envy my sister so much, she has one.
    ++1 dead right !!
    09-16-11 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD