I've noticed that the WIFI signal on my playbook is very weak. Quite often, when I'm not close to my router, I noticed that my phone (Bold 9780) is still connected, but the playbook isn't. Has anyone noticed anything similar? I have the lastest Playbook OS, and I hope the wireless adapter strength is a fixable OS problem.

WIFI adapter strength
    Playbook < Bold 9780 < Laptop (best)
    09-11-11 09:40 AM
    On the contrary, with the new OS update I find WiFi a lot more stable. However, the nature of WiFi connectivity is really shabby and I really wish RIM would do something about it. Try with a different router and see if that helps.
    09-11-11 10:52 AM
    If any thing I find my playbook out performs my Sony vaio laptop.I can sit in my summer house a good 35 yards from my router and have a nearly full signal with my playbook,where as my laptop can't even connect at that range.
    09-11-11 11:02 AM
    the wifi radio is on the top right of the pb. avoid holding that part.
    09-11-11 11:08 AM
    ive noticed my playbook having wifi issues as well. it goes from full signal to one 'bar' then drops.
    09-11-11 11:27 AM
    Not to start a fight, but I had a playbook and ipad side by side in the backyard, and the ipad could get a signal while my pb couldnt.

Take it for what its worth. But i bought a new router and nevet looked back (as I walked far into my packyard and still got a signal.)

Where is your router? Is it worth moving?
    09-11-11 11:41 AM
    Not to start a fight, but I had a playbook and ipad side by side in the backyard, and the ipad could get a signal while my pb couldnt.

Take it for what its worth. But i bought a new router and nevet looked back (as I walked far into my packyard and still got a signal.)

Where is your router? Is it worth moving?
    ironically it took me 15 mins to reply as my wifi connection was cutting in and out. anywaya my router is no more than 30 ft away from my playbook and laptop(s). laptops maintain strong signals while pb cuts in and out periodically
    09-11-11 12:03 PM
    and again...for me tbis started happening shortly after the latest os update
    09-11-11 12:04 PM
    for anyone else experiencing wifi problems, is your hdmi port finicky as well? my pb doesnt output via hdmi anymore and though ive requested an rma, ive held off at the moment in hoping its a software issue and the next update will resolve this
    09-11-11 12:13 PM
    Big time WiFi problems here also.Everything else here including my torch,gets way better WiFi connectivity.I am increasingly annoyed about this.I have tried re-boots and turning wifi on & off.Nothing seems to help.When I first got it before any updates were released,I think(or it was my imagination)wifi was way better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-11 02:23 PM
    i've noticed the same thing since the last update. This wasn't an issue before that update.

I initially thought it was a problem with the podcasts app but then i noticed i had problems sending files via wi-fi where i never had a problem before.
    09-11-11 03:00 PM
    Big time WiFi problems here also.Everything else here including my torch,gets way better WiFi connectivity.I am increasingly annoyed about this.I have tried re-boots and turning wifi on & off.Nothing seems to help.When I first got it before any updates were released,I think(or it was my imagination)wifi was way better.

For you and the others having wifi problems - have you tried using wifi in places like library or starbucks, etc? See if the problems are bad in those places, too, to try to narrow if it is the wifi on the pb or maybe your router. Is is obviously possible that rim broke something in the updates but also that the pb has an antenna issue that cropped up more recently.
    09-11-11 03:03 PM
    For you and the others having wifi problems - have you tried using wifi in places like library or starbucks, etc? See if the problems are bad in those places, too, to try to narrow if it is the wifi on the pb or maybe your router. Is is obviously possible that rim broke something in the updates but also that the pb has an antenna issue that cropped up more recently.
    I have 3 laptops 1 desktop a playbook and galaxy tab GT-P1000 !
    All of my computers get perfect wifi signal, the galaxy tab i've had since february this year, the tab and computers have never dropped wifi connection,
    But the playbook does far far too often even when only 6 or 8 feet from my router !
    I read many threads on here about this issue, i think its a playbook problem
    Jifffer likes this.
    09-11-11 03:30 PM
    I've never had an issue with the PB wi-fi until the last update. Signal strength has always been great.
    09-11-11 03:34 PM
    I think it's not entirely a wifi issue,but an internet issue all together. My browser and CB app hang constantly on my PB.A lot of times pages won't load @ all.Even the CB start page thru the app is often blank.I'm thinkin the problem must be deeper than just wifi.Just like the phone problems,not everyone is having these issues obviously.

Gamirok likes this.
    09-11-11 05:23 PM
    That's entirely possiboe. However, in my case, i'm leaning towards it being a wi-fi issue since the last updste. i've never had any internet issue on the PB.
    09-11-11 05:55 PM
    I think it's not entirely a wifi issue,but an internet issue all together. My browser and CB app hang constantly on my PB.A lot of times pages won't load @ all.Even the CB start page thru the app is often blank.I'm thinkin the problem must be deeper than just wifi.Just like the phone problems,not everyone is having these issues obviously.

Same crap happens to me, especially if the signal is a little weak...really frustrating and it pisses the **** out of me!!
    09-11-11 10:44 PM
    the wifi radio is on the top right of the pb. avoid holding that part.
    I heard it was top left.
    09-11-11 11:21 PM
    Happens to me too when I have a weak wi-fi signal, especially in my bedroom. I don't lose signal on my macBookpro but my playbook drops wi-fi in that weak area. My wife's PC stays solid as well..

It's disappointing..but not a deal breaker.
    09-11-11 11:52 PM
    Ever since the 1.07 update I've noticed the WiFi signal seems to be a lot weaker if I'm upstairs in my bedroom. It works fine downstairs and worked fine with 1.06 upstairs. I hope this gets corrected in the next (eventual) update.
    09-12-11 07:53 AM
    My wifi was very stable but since the last couple of days the Wifi is behaving really badly. The only way I get signals is by standing right next to the router. I loose the signals at 6ft away from the router while still being in the same room. I am not sure whether this is a software issue or a hardware problem with the wifi antena or something.
    09-12-11 08:13 AM
    I posted this in the other wifi thread-increasing the router/modem wifi signal strength may help some people until RIM offers a solution.

"This may help some with wifi problems....no one has mentioned adjusting the wifi output signal strength of their router.

My Playbook didn't work in our garage behind a steel door/brick wall....the Bell Sympatico modem/router default output strength is 4, cranked it up to 10 and the Playbook went to 2-3 bars in the garage from 0-1."

My modem/router combo is Bell's Gateway 2wire, I wouldn't have even known it was possible to adjust the wifi signal strength on routers if the Playbook wifi wasn't performing so poorly compared to our household laptops.
    Berrimad likes this.
    09-12-11 08:18 AM
    for those of you that think its a PB issue why do you think that others like myself report the opposite experience? my PB is my fastest and most reliable web browser. Before i got fios my dsl was crawling on my laptop and desktop but was very decent on PB. After fios its MUCH better across the board but PB is best. My laptop was top of the line in 2009 and my desktop is an average 2010 win 7 model
    09-12-11 08:33 AM
    I'm thinkin' the same thing. I've totally had all the issues mentioned in this thread: weak signal when other devices are strong, dropped signal, endlessly hanging web page loads. I figured it was a wifi strength issue (and someone in other posts suggested switching my router to G mode instead of N, but I haven't tried that yet) but now I think it's more than that.

Once RIM's BIS systems are back up and running, I'm going to turn off the PB's wifi antenna and try browsing on the Bridge Browser over 3G alone just to compare the experience.

Not sure what else to do at this point, but I think I remember this thing coming with 90 Day support from RIM so maybe I'll try to contact them to ask about it.

Otherwise, this issue will be added to my list of things I hope OS 2.0 fixes since painfully slow web browsing really hurts the functionality, usefulness and enjoyment potential of the PB.
    10-12-11 01:51 PM
    for those of you that think its a PB issue why do you think that others like myself report the opposite experience? my PB is my fastest and most reliable web browser.
    Nobody is trying to tell you that you're wrong or not having a great, speedy browsing experience with your PB. In fact, we're glad for you and we're glad to know that not every PlayBook has crappy browsing. But plenty of other folks are having real, unimagined issues with their PB when browsing over an assumedly large variety of router brands and wifi service types. That's the nature of intermittent problems -- some folks have the problem and some folks don't, and the problems don't necessarily happen consistently.

Maybe the plant's Quality Control guy didn't show up for work one day and thousands of faulty devices were shipped. Or the guy installing the wifi antenna was still hungover when he worked on my particular PB and he put it in wrong. Who knows? And certainly nobody knows why you're having a great experience and others are not, or I suspect a solution to the problem would have been posted on CrackBerry and/or RIM would have done something about it already.
    10-12-11 02:01 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD