I am looking at getting the 9850 is there any former 9930 owners that made the switch. How do you like it? Any big differences?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-11 09:12 AM
    I havent exactly owned a 9900, However, before I bought my 9860 my brother bought the 9900. So I got a lot of playing in with the 9900, which was a good thing because I was torn between the two phones as to what I wanted to buy.

Both phones were Identical in specs aside from the 9860 only having 4GB of storage instead of 8GB and the 9900 has a hardware keyboard.... SO what it really come down to, for me anyway, was did I want a keyboard? Or full touch?

I settled on the 9860... It simply worked better for me.

Gotta say though, the 9900 has a better screen by a little bit. The pixel density is 32 more ppi than the 9860. If you want specs to compare then I'll give them to you.

The 9860 is 253ppi and the 9900 is 285ppi. The screen certainly looks better in my opinion.

Anyway thats my opinion!
    09-11-11 10:58 AM
    I got the 9850 after having the style and tour. I went to the tour because of its keyboard, and the style since it was largely the same but in flip form factor. Its been tougher to adapt to the 9850 than expected, but im enjoying the phone nonetheless.

I switched the portrait view keyboard to suretype and im instantly back to typing fast and with less looks at the keyboard. With the landscape qwerty keyboard, I find it much more difficult to type while walking, one handed, or without looking at the screen.

I just started a new job so Im not using my phone as much, so that could be affecting the time needed to adapt.

I thought about switching to the 9930 but I will stick with the 9850. I use the internet way more now, reading rss, twitter and blackberry news posts are immensely easier and more comfortable too. My only real complaint is that there is a lag time between the screen switching from portrait to landscape mode, and the time for the keyboard to pop up. I am much more used to the physical keyboard-- hitting unlock button/ opening the 9670, typing in my password and my phone unlocking in those 1.5 seconds it takes the 9850 to orient itself and display the keyboard.

I am hoping that an app will come out which will force the unlock screen to be one orientation so I wont be flipping back and forth while it orientates itself to portrait or landscape.

As far as the phone itself-- great reception, never had any dropped calls, internet always works and never had any dead spots-- even out in the country. Operations are always fast and having the optical pad with the touch screen is awesome. I read a lot of blackberry news posts and its very comfortable to hold the phone one handed and scroll through the pages.
    09-11-11 11:33 AM
    I own both actually a 9850 and 9930. I use the 9850 for my out and about social phone. It is really great having all that screen real estate to view things. I really like it for navigation. It is a great phone. If you live and die by texting, BBM and such you may want the 9930, the keyboard is luxurious.
    09-11-11 11:55 AM
    I would like to add that even after using the 9900 extensively and having the 9700 as my old phone, I MUCH prefer the virtual keyboard. I seem to make less mistakes than on my old 9700 and I make about the same mistakes on the 9900.

Not saying the virtual keyboard is better as most would agree that a physical keyboard is better. Just saying I prefer the virtual keys and it works better for ME. Hope I helped!
    09-11-11 12:52 PM
    Hey thanks everyone I just went and played with one and its very nice but its not for me I like the feel of the bold in my hand. The 9850 is a great device if anyone wants a full touchscreen phone.

09-11-11 01:46 PM
    I had the 9930 for 2 weeks. I loved the phone, had the old 9000 so figured why not try it. After having a Storm 2 for 2 yrs I didn't want to lose the screen size to a keyboard. Now having the 9850 I feel completely confident I made the right choice. Same OS, same general specs, better camera, better screen, great virtual KB. No complaints so far and none of the issues others are having yet.
    09-12-11 12:50 PM
    Hey thanks everyone I just went and played with one and its very nice but its not for me I like the feel of the bold in my hand. The 9850 is a great device if anyone wants a full touchscreen phone.

I agree... stay with the bold...it's the best one
    09-12-11 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD