1st post...sorry if it has been answered, I searched but it seems specific and strange.....My 9650's Device memory has dropped to below 6mb.....i have plenty of other memory, but it seems to really bog down my usually snappy bold. I use "Internals" and it used to show full, now......drained. What should I do or can be causing it?
    09-10-11 07:43 PM
    1st post...sorry if it has been answered, I searched but it seems specific and strange.....My 9650's Device memory has dropped to below 6mb.....i have plenty of other memory, but it seems to really bog down my usually snappy bold. I use "Internals" and it used to show full, now......drained. What should I do or can be causing it?
    6mbs??? ok, my question to you is, how in the world did your device drop down that low and is still functioning how on earth is your mbs that low???

i'm on OS6.431, have a mem leak, on a frest start i have 280mb's and thru the course of the day i can loose up to 40mbs on a bad day, and an average of 10mbs on a good day, but i can honestly say when my device gets down near 220-225mbs, its starts acting 'funny' meaning is slow, lags and will do the occassional freeze and sometimes show the little black spinning clock. hence, i never let it get that low and when i reach 230 i reboot.

ok, helms, help us out here by giving a little more info--like what kind of apps do you have installed? lets start there.....

and some simple advice also: close out all your apps, clear your browser cache daily at the end of the day if you use the web alot, clear out un-needed sms/mms/email msgs.

to check your apps still running: from your home screen, press and hold down the menu key--a screen will come up: the only things that will constantly be "open" are bbm, home, phone, browser and msg icons. all others you can click on and 'close' out one by one.
    09-10-11 08:14 PM
    you could also check out this thread for maximizing your memory too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...-memory-34633/
    09-10-11 08:17 PM
    6mbs??? ok, my question to you is, how in the world did your device drop down that low and is still functioning how on earth is your mbs that low???

i'm on OS6.431, have a mem leak, on a frest start i have 280mb's and thru the course of the day i can loose up to 40mbs on a bad day, and an average of 10mbs on a good day, but i can honestly say when my device gets down near 220-225mbs, its starts acting 'funny' meaning is slow, lags and will do the occassional freeze and sometimes show the little black spinning clock. hence, i never let it get that low and when i reach 230 i reboot.

ok, helms, help us out here by giving a little more info--like what kind of apps do you have installed? lets start there.....

and some simple advice also: close out all your apps, clear your browser cache daily at the end of the day if you use the web alot, clear out un-needed sms/mms/email msgs.

to check your apps still running: from your home screen, press and hold down the menu key--a screen will come up: the only things that will constantly be "open" are bbm, home, phone, browser and msg icons. all others you can click on and 'close' out one by one.
    Nothing fancy....I did recently install SystemDash, Point, Pandas vs. Ninjas, BeBuzz, YouMail etc. Running 6.0.0.431, never really had a problem before and have had it for 3-4 months. battery pulls and all

When I look at device info it says I have 179.24 Free. my Built In Storage is what is now showing 5mb of 32mb.
    09-10-11 08:23 PM
    Nothing fancy....I did recently install SystemDash, Point, Pandas vs. Ninjas, BeBuzz, YouMail etc. Running 6.0.0.431, never really had a problem before and have had it for 3-4 months. battery pulls and all

When I look at device info it says I have 179.24 Free. my Built In Storage is what is now showing 5mb of 32mb.

ok, for your device info @179mb free is not terrible-in your op, i thought you were saying your deivce file free was at 6mb!!. I shrank my OS thats why i have so much extra room.

Now, when you mention your in storage showing '5mb of 32mb' are you referring to your SD Card?
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 09-10-11 at 08:48 PM.
    09-10-11 08:45 PM
    No, I am referring to my Device Memory. My SD card shows .38GB, but I can always flush stuff off of it. My Device currently shows 4mb free from 32mb. It used to always be 32mb, topped out and everything flowed, I guess to available 170ish. Perplexing.
    09-10-11 09:41 PM
    This does not sound like a 9650, which has nominally 512mb of memory and typically runs at 200mb-ish (mine is usually at around 180mb). Are you sure it's a 9650?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-10-11 09:55 PM
    yes it is a 9650 from Verizon. It has 512mb also w/ 188mb free. It is only my "Internals" or "System Tools" ap that all of a sudden show 4mb free of 32mb "Built In" Storage??
    09-10-11 10:05 PM
    No, I am referring to my Device Memory. My SD card shows .38GB, but I can always flush stuff off of it. My Device currently shows 4mb free from 32mb. It used to always be 32mb, topped out and everything flowed, I guess to available 170ish. Perplexing.
    The 32MB Device Memory refers to memory set aside for documents, media files and such. You can set it for 32, 15, or 5 MB. What has happened is your onboard storage has filled up. Open your MEDIA folder, then hit the menu. Look for MEMORY USE. You'll be able to see how your memory storage is being used, both on your SD card and the device memory. Click DETAILS to see it.

To get that memory back, you'll have to clear some files. Documents, wallpapers, photos, ringtones, videos or music. Just make sure you save copies to your memory card before you delete anything.

Check to see that your camera is saving photos to the memory card as well. That could be how your device memory filled.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-10-11 10:16 PM
    Thank you very much. It shows 21mb in photos, but I cannot seem to find the ones on device memory. File manager does not show pictures....hmmm, where are they hiding?
    09-11-11 12:00 PM
    The 32MB Device Memory refers to memory set aside for documents, media files and such. You can set it for 32, 15, or 5 MB. What has happened is your onboard storage has filled up. Open your MEDIA folder, then hit the menu. Look for MEMORY USE. You'll be able to see how your memory storage is being used, both on your SD card and the device memory. Click DETAILS to see it.

To get that memory back, you'll have to clear some files. Documents, wallpapers, photos, ringtones, videos or music. Just make sure you save copies to your memory card before you delete anything.

Check to see that your camera is saving photos to the memory card as well. That could be how your device memory filled.
    thx for this 99. i always forget about that part of the device memory
    09-11-11 01:50 PM
    Thank you very much. It shows 21mb in photos, but I cannot seem to find the ones on device memory. File manager does not show pictures....hmmm, where are they hiding?
    helms you could also check to see whats on the device memory by going into your 'file' icon, choose 'file folders' and then device. from there you can browse thru each folder and see whats where and move it to your sd card if need be.

btw, your profile is still showing you have a tour 9630, it might be a good idea to update that so when someone is trying to help you, they'll know what device you have
    09-11-11 01:51 PM
    helms you could also check to see whats on the device memory by going into your 'file' icon, choose 'file folders' and then device. from there you can browse thru each folder and see whats where and move it to your sd card if need be.

btw, your profile is still showing you have a tour 9630, it might be a good idea to update that so when someone is trying to help you, they'll know what device you have
    If you look at the memory contents using the Files app, make sure that you look in the HOME folder of the device. The SAMPLES folder is read-only, so your files won't be in there. Look at /DEVICE/HOME/user, then choose the folder you want to check: documents, music, pictures, ringtones, etc.

Remember to change your camera's default storage to the SD card, too.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-11-11 02:28 PM
    When I browse through Device/Home/User.....I see nothing in my picture folder? Most folders seem empty. When I scan memory through "Media" it shows 21mb in pictures....where could they be hiding?? Thank you all for the help and I updated my Prifile to show my Bold 9650.
    09-11-11 04:36 PM
    I just found a bunch of "hidden" files in my device "Appworld" folder. There are a bunch of "Sreenshot" folders loaded with images.....do I need these? Thanks again as I dig deeper
    09-11-11 04:42 PM
    When I browse through Device/Home/User.....I see nothing in my picture folder? Most folders seem empty. When I scan memory through "Media" it shows 21mb in pictures....where could they be hiding?? Thank you all for the help and I updated my Prifile to show my Bold 9650.
    thats good that those folders are empty because you want your files and what not to save to your sd card.

good deal to change your profile, it'll better help someone whose trying to help you when you post with an issue if your problem cant be found doing a search for it first

I just found a bunch of "hidden" files in my device "Appworld" folder. There are a bunch of "Sreenshot" folders loaded with images.....do I need these? Thanks again as I dig deeper
    Those images that you found in your BB App world folder, are they apps that you have installed on your bold? As far as whether you need them or not, you'd have to go thru them and see exactly what they are. good luck, and at least you've found where most of your device memory has gotten eaten away too !!
    09-12-11 07:58 AM
    One last thing Crackberriers, now that I have lowered available Device Memory, it shows less available. Does it matter since I have almost 200mb of available ram?? I see no performance loss, just my stupid SystemTools readiing.. Just curious

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    09-14-11 05:29 PM
    If I understand your question, yes, reducing the available Device Memory will result in having less device memory available. I would not expect to see any loss of performance.

OBTW, I'd forget that SystemTools (or MeterBerry or any other system utility) is installed. They're OK as troubleshooting tools, but it's too easy to get wrapped around the axle with numbers when you monitor it all day. If your device works, leave it alone.
    09-15-11 01:02 PM
    One last thing Crackberriers, now that I have lowered available Device Memory, it shows less available. Does it matter since I have almost 200mb of available ram?? I see no performance loss, just my stupid SystemTools readiing.. Just curious

The amount allocated to media storage isn't going to significantly impact performance.

Thanks for posting that; I was smh at first!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 09-15-11 at 06:29 PM.
    09-15-11 06:25 PM
    Again, THANK YOU ALL!! I am a daily lurker and usually find my answers quickly because Crackberry Rocks and it's users are the best!! I was not expecting all the helpful info and insight from my first post!! Kudos!

09-15-11 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD