View Poll Results: BlackBerry OS 7 (BlackBerry Torch 9860 [Full Touch]) or Windows Phone

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry OS 7 (BlackBerry Torch 9860 [Full Touch])

24 96.00%
  • Windows Phone

1 4.00%
    What do I get: BlackBerry Torch 9860 (Full Touch) or Windows Phone? – BlackBerry OS7 or Windows Phone 7.1/7.5 (Mango)
    It’s coming to that time of year where I get the chance to become the owner of a brand new phone but I first have a very important decision to make. Do I get the BlackBerry Torch 9860 featuring the new BlackBerry OS 7 or a Windows Phone, one that either comes with or will be upgraded to Mango (currently thinking LG Optimus 7, Samsung Focus or Samsung’s WP version of the Gallery S II).
    I currently own a BlackBerry Storm 2 9520 with BlackBerry OS5 and do love it very much. The new BB OS7 is just an upgrade of an OS I already know well whereas the Windows Phone OS would be a new OS to me, that being said I am developing some Apps for the WP OS so I know a fair amount about it too. Today I had a play with a BlackBerry Torch and a LG Optimus 7 at my local Vodafone store, I found both OS easy to use and could get along with either OS just fine.

BlackBerry OS7 / BlackBerry Torch 9860
    Pros: The BlackBerry Torch felt very nice to hold, either landscape or portrait and the screen looked amazing with its high resolution compared to what I’ve been used to. The OS was a nice upgrade from BB OS5 with colourful icons and everything just flowed.
    Cons: Typing was alright but not the best and I think it would take me a little while to get used but I know that given time I would adapt to typing on the device.

Windows Phone / LG Optimus 7 (that’s the one I used in store)
    Pros: The Phone itself was alright but nothing great, but that can be overcome by picking a phone from another manufacture. The OS was clean, easy to understand and use, clutter free and was a real pleasant experience. The keyboard was amazing, I hardly made any mistakes and this was the first time I had ever used the device/OS which was very pleasing.
    Cons: Hardware was, as I said alright. As long as there are a few more devices to pick from I’ll be fine. Can’t think of any other cons at the moment (that aren’t addressed with the mango update).

BB OS7 V’s Windows Phone
    The keyboard on the Windows Phone was definitely the better out of the two but I could still get along with the BlackBerry’s keyboard so this isn’t too much of an issue. The BlackBerry had better hardware but I haven’t had a chance to use any other Windows Phone devices as they may be better.

So that leaves me with the question, What do I get, the BlackBerry Torch 9860 or a Windows Phone?
    Last edited by SSaywell; 09-10-11 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Formatting error
    09-10-11 09:53 AM
    Do you really think that by posting on a BlackBerry Fans site you will get people telling you to choose anything BUT BlackBerry? Seriously?

It seems like you know the answer, but you just need a re-assurance.

Get the BlackBerry no question.

It has the best email on any phone, easy to get in to. Secure. and has the best battery life
    I have also posted the same on CrackBerry's sister site wpcentral, that way both set of fans will tell me about all the good points of each OS and the bad of the other.
    09-10-11 10:00 AM
    You should get the torch 9850!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 08:42 PM
    torch. definitely. it rocks.

windows phones suck.
    09-11-11 09:06 AM
    reading the pros and cons and opinions of each phone i think you've answered your own questions. Torch it is! enjoy your phone. it's awesome!
    09-11-11 09:25 AM
    First of all, well-done noticing and summarizing the pros of each platform. If everybody did this, it would sure as heck make for a more satisfying purchasing experience.

I think you said it best here:
    I currently own a BlackBerry Storm 2 9520 with BlackBerry OS5 and do love it very much.
    The thing is, although OS 7 is "just" an upgrade from your current Storm's OS 5, it can do things a LOT faster (read: better) and the hardware on the BB 9860 is so fast it makes babies scream.

If you're happy with something, especially if you utilize all or most features on the device, stick with it...you know what to expect.
    09-11-11 11:39 AM
    If it is Verizon I'm not sure as the Verizon wp7 hardware is just "OK". That said wp7 is amazing all around. Insanely good os.

I think.I'm goingbto push mybsisters towards the torch though.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.
    09-12-11 09:02 AM
    The Torch 9860.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 09:33 AM
    I too came from a Storm and I was SO close to jumping ship. At one point, I did consider a Windows phone b/c I am a religious Microsoft Outlook user (which is why I never jumped to a Droid) so I wanted a phone that could sync w/email, address book, memo, and task all in one app and BB and WP were the only two that could do that (at least from what I know). If the Torch didn't come out when it did, I probably would have jumped to a WP but the Torch finally released and I haven't been able to put it down since.

Almost if not all would agree that the original Storm should have been what the Torch is now, could you imagine what a Storm 3 would be like right now?! The market for RIM phones would be up there (IMO).
    09-12-11 10:10 AM
    I'm coming from the same device as you. I suggest a test drive of the Torch Touch. It is one badass device!
    09-12-11 10:28 AM
    I am in the same boat. My company is switching to Sprint Wednesday. I chose the Torch because I have a Playbook, but after playing with the Arrive, I am kinda second guessing my decision. I love the fact that the Arrive has a physical keyboard and the OS is very nice. My plan is to give the Torch a try, but if I have issue with it (freezing, typing issues, etc.) I will try to exchange it before it is too late.
    09-30-11 07:38 PM
    I am in the same boat. My company is switching to Sprint Wednesday. I chose the Torch because I have a Playbook, but after playing with the Arrive, I am kinda second guessing my decision. I love the fact that the Arrive has a physical keyboard and the OS is very nice. My plan is to give the Torch a try, but if I have issue with it (freezing, typing issues, etc.) I will try to exchange it before it is too late.
    You sound like a keyboard person. Have you considered the 9930? If you like a keyboard and bridge functionality that might be your best bet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 07:44 PM
    I did, but I have always had either a Bold or a Curve...just wanted to try something different.
    09-30-11 08:02 PM
    Grab the Torch! Its an awesome device!!
    09-30-11 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD