Plugged my 9930 in to usb on PC to charge it last night, it immediately shut off, screen went black and would not respond to any key touches. Pulled battery and device came back on, but then it does the same thing 10-20 seconds later.

I chatted with sprint customer service and she "reset" the device and that got me through the night. I turned the phone off and plugged it in to charge over night, woke up this morning and now the device will not even turn on! Battery pulls are useless, device appears to be bricked or something?

I baby this phone, all I did was plug it in to usb cable just like I do countless times each day. Perhaps there is something wrong with the usb port and it's protecting the device by shutting it down... who knows?

Time to hit up the Sprint store, but I just wanted everyone to be aware of this because I did not see this anywhere else in the forums.
    09-10-11 06:34 AM
    Sounds like a unique problem and getting it exchanged is your best course of action. Of course, there could be a short in the USB cable you were using, especially if you use it countless times each day. You mind want to toss it.

Plugged my 9930 in to usb on PC to charge it last night, it immediately shut off, screen went black and would not respond to any key touches. Pulled battery and device came back on, but then it does the same thing 10-20 seconds later.

I chatted with sprint customer service and she "reset" the device and that got me through the night. I turned the phone off and plugged it in to charge over night, woke up this morning and now the device will not even turn on! Battery pulls are useless, device appears to be bricked or something?

I baby this phone, all I did was plug it in to usb cable just like I do countless times each day. Perhaps there is something wrong with the usb port and it's protecting the device by shutting it down... who knows?

Time to hit up the Sprint store, but I just wanted everyone to be aware of this because I did not see this anywhere else in the forums.
    09-10-11 10:20 AM
    Update,

I turned the phone off and plugged it in to USB to charge that night, for some reason it didn't charge though and the battery died. I found this out after several attempts to revive it with battery pulls in the morning, plugged it into desktop manager and it started to charge the battery.

Phone is working again, but I still can't figure out why it will charge most of the time but doesn't at other times? I guess I'll just have to leave the phone on while charging, to make sure it is actually working?

The phone did lock up again last night, for no apparent reason. It's not rebooting, it just locks up and the screen goes black. If I hold the phone a certain way in the light, you can still see the home screen so I know the device is on but it's just frozen, battery pull works now though.

Oh well, crises averted..but for how long?
    09-11-11 07:24 AM
    In Windows Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers>USB Root Hub Properties, is "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checked? If so, you want to uncheck it.
    09-11-11 11:55 AM
    Actually, the phone stayed on when hooked up to the computer but shut down as soon as I unplugged it. I could pull the battery, but then it would only stay on for about 10 seconds and shut down/froze up again.

I swapped it out at the Sprint store, the Tech told me they have been getting A LOT of 9930's returned/exchanged for different devices lately, some of which have the same problem with random shut downs and the phone will not turn back on again.

Oh well, I have a new one and I hope it works better because actually I love the device.
    09-14-11 06:03 AM
    Sounds like the charging port was the issue. Knock on wood I haven't experienced any issues so far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD