I have just bought a Torch 9810 (which I really like). I switched my Tether software (Tether BlackBerry, Tether Android | Tether.com) over to the new phone from my old Bold 9000. Tether on the Bold 9000 and my laptop had been working perfectly with my ATT account. Now however, when I try to start Tether on my 9810, I am getting an error message saying a USB port could not be found - "failed to find an available port". Elsewhere on the Tether site, under Support, I found reference to this error message with a solution to enter a username/password for APN service - "This error means your APN settings are not set or wrong. Please visit the following website: http://tether.com/apn-settings". At the link there is a comment that "Some carriers charge extensive fees for APN usage". What have other users experienced with their ATT account when trying to use the Tether software? I am not going to just switch without knowing. I have a corporate account, and can't exactly go to user support with my question either. Have ATT and other carriers done an end-run around Tether's solution? If so, Tether is useless to me now.
    09-08-11 11:49 AM
    I've ran into the same situation with mine as well, I even went on to contact support over at tether and they replied asking me everything I basically told them. I still haven't had a response back as to what I can do but I'm surely about to ask for my 50 bucks back lol
    09-08-11 05:44 PM
    I just tried out Tether on my 9810 after migrating from a 9700 and it works fine. I have seen no problems at all.
    09-09-11 10:08 PM
    Same here. I have no problems either.
    09-10-11 12:12 AM
    Any version of OS upgrade got a hotspot coming??
    09-10-11 01:41 AM
    After trying outdated links for a day and a half, this link has the latest settings for tethering a BB7 device to a Mac.
    Tether 9810 torch with macbook lion - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

It works. I'm writing this now with my Macbook running OS 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard) through USB, after connecting the device and running DM for Mac. I think it should work for all ATT BB7 devices as well, at least with Snow Leopard and later. Trying the same settings through Bluetooth hasn't worked yet, but it seems to be more a problem with my bluetooth connection, not the network settings.
    09-30-11 04:45 PM
    I gave up on tethering my Playbook, or my laptop for that matter, through my BB phone (can still bridge through the OTA software). I decided to buy a 4G LTE AT&T Elevate mobile hotspot. Tethering or browsing is much faster through wi-fi than through Bluetooth via Bridge, I don't have to pay a tethering charge and subsequently lose the unlimited data plan on the phone, the hotpsot is 4G LTE (faster than the HSPA+ on the phone), and it supports up to five devices - Playbook, mine and my wife's laptops, my phone, friends laptops, whatever. Much more versatile this way. Cost is about $50/mo for 5 GB. One downside is that I decided on AT&T. :-) Another is that I have to carry another device when I want more than casual data access, but it's really pretty small, so no big deal.
    10-03-11 07:10 PM
    I'll stick with bluetooth connections on my laptop and playbook...
    10-04-11 02:57 PM
    I decided to buy a 4G LTE AT&T Elevate mobile hotspot..
    The Elevate is pretty slick though. The display on the outside with the SSID, battery, signal, and encryption key is awesome.
    10-04-11 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD