So I got to thinking about H+ on my 9810. The Browser seems to be much faster than that of my old 9700 on ATT. Didn't really think nothing of it. Today I tried downloading an E-Mail attachment on the Torch which I've downloaded before on my 9700. It took just as long if not longer than it did on the 9700. I got to doing a little research and found out that the Device will Display H+ on a 3G OR an HSPA+ Signal.

I ran a diagnostic test on the network using the built in tool on the Torch and it said I'm connected to UMTS not HSPA+. So Even though on the ATT Coverage map I'm clearly in an H+ area, my 9810 is still only giving me 3G speeds. Why? Anyone else have this issue?
    09-08-11 01:56 AM
    So I got to thinking about H+ on my 9810. The Browser seems to be much faster than that of my old 9700 on ATT. Didn't really think nothing of it. Today I tried downloading an E-Mail attachment on the Torch which I've downloaded before on my 9700. It took just as long if not longer than it did on the 9700. I got to doing a little research and found out that the Device will Display H+ on a 3G OR an HSPA+ Signal.

I ran a diagnostic test on the network using the built in tool on the Torch and it said I'm connected to UMTS not HSPA+. So Even though on the ATT Coverage map I'm clearly in an H+ area, my 9810 is still only giving me 3G speeds. Why? Anyone else have this issue?
    You're not the only one, I've been experiencing the same issue with my carrier and I'm starting to think its all bs. Here's my thread having the same issue as you..

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-wrong-646231/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 03:16 AM
    When you do the network Diagnostic what does your phone show? UMTS or HSPA+?

Ive been reading that a lot of android phones show H+ even for standard UMTS 3G signals. Wondering if thats the same for Blackberry's.

Strait from ATT's web site.

"The "H+" icon is a network indicator. When present, it lets you know that your phone is operating on our 3G or 4G network (where available)."

And

"The H+ icon will remain lit while connected to either our 3G mobile broadband or 4G network (where available). Should you travel outside of those coverage areas and/or experience extreme network congestion, the icon may display EDGE or E while on our 2G data network or, in some instances, it will display GSM."

That is so dumb. If I'm connected to UMTS I WANT A DAMN 3G Icon. When I'm on HSPA+ I WANT A DAMN H+ Icon. Why Play around?
    Last edited by chevydudesixty9; 09-08-11 at 03:45 AM.
    Dan_F350 likes this.
    09-08-11 03:40 AM
    I'm solidly within a deep blue "4G" area according to AT&T's coverage map attached below, and a network diagonostics test (Networks and Connections > Mobile Network > BB Key > Diagnostics Test > BB Key > Run) reveals that I am on UMTS aka 3G as well, despite the "H+" display.

Smells like a deceptive trade practice in violation of the federal FTC Act. Who wants to be a named plaintiff in a class action?
    Mrluky, Azensun and Nickerz like this.
    09-08-11 06:35 AM
    This is interesting. I, too, am deep within ATT' "4G" area and when I run the diagnostic it shows UMTS also. I don't think I've ever seen anything but H+ on the home screen, so I wonder if its just the way the phone defines all connections other than EDGE?

I do know that when I used to run the GIST Speed Test on my 9800 I would get 600 mbps download and now I consistently get 1100... so its faster. Although I suppose it could be the hardware/software difference in the two phones.

Does anybody get H+ when they run the diagnostic?
    Last edited by marcho11; 09-08-11 at 10:11 AM.
    09-08-11 10:08 AM
    This is interesting. I, too, am deep within ATT' "4G" area and when I run the diagnostic it shows UMTS also. I don't think I've ever seen anything but H+ on the home screen, so I wonder if its just the way the phone defines all connections other than EDGE?

I do know that when I used to run the GIST Speed Test on my 9800 I would get 600 mbps download and now I consistently get 1100... so its faster. Although I suppose it could be the hardware/software difference in the two phones.

Nope, diagnostics test says UMTS for me too and I am in a 4G area! (but phone shows H+)
    Last edited by tellsells; 09-08-11 at 11:15 AM.
    09-08-11 10:46 AM
    I get H+ here in Nashville but get UMTS when running the diagnostic test.
    09-08-11 10:48 AM
    Here in Manhattan and I'm showing UMTS also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 11:14 AM
    UMTS In Wyoming, the network is less than 6 months old here, AT&T bought out Alltel (a CDMA carrier) here. All new towers and antennas, I have to say, I'm kinda p.o.'d that they did all that work and put in 3G stuff. Thanks for fake H+ and the 9900 delay AT&T.
    Dan_F350 likes this.
    09-08-11 11:40 AM
    Having just briefly looked at it, HSPA+ can be implemented in a UMTS network, so maybe that's why we're just seeing UMTS -- it's the basic network in which H+ is implemented, and the diagnostic app isn't set up to show anything more than that.
    09-08-11 11:57 AM
    Having just briefly looked at it, HSPA+ can be implemented in a UMTS network, so maybe that's why we're just seeing UMTS -- it's the basic network in which H+ is implemented, and the diagnostic app isn't set up to show anything more than that.
    You are correct. Even 4G LTE runs in UMTS.
    09-08-11 12:16 PM
    Ok, I stand corrected on the UMTS thing. Thank you to jas and danny, although I still want the 9900 to be put out though. Enough of my griping for now.
    09-08-11 01:20 PM
    I have a 3G with H+ speeds. I don't care, as long as it's blazing fast!
    09-08-11 02:33 PM
    I just wish Speedtest.net was available on App World. Its an even way to test across all platforms. On my iPhone, Focus, and Captivate I would average 2.5 Mbps on Speedtest.net. All those phones where not HSPA+.

On the blackberry with GIST I get only 1.2 Mbps MAX which has me thinking if the apps are testing speed that much more differently.

This was all done in my room usually during 1AM or so. Wish there was a way to evenly test the connection speed to an my other devices.
    09-08-11 04:36 PM
    I'm well in 4G area my screen shows H+ but the download speed is barely 3G at around 700kbps.

I guess is another of AT$T gimmicks to screw customers.
    09-09-11 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD