How many people would pay $99.00 to download a Windows 8 OS Tablet OS app if it became availabe in app world? Don't say it couldn't be done. I think it would actually launch the Playbook on the fast track into the business world and beyond. Just think about being able to load all of your important windows software on the playbook and have it work well.

The business world needs to be able to run their windows software and so far the closest thing to portability is a $200.00 net book. I would rather carry a playbook than a netbook, but I carry both. RIM needs to start working with Microsoft. They can't go any further in the tablet market without them. They have the right tablet and QNX is top shelf, now they need to put it to work.
    09-07-11 11:42 PM
    100 for windows is like nothing. lol

id hit that.
    09-07-11 11:44 PM
    Just sounds like you're stretching a bit much. I like my playbook. But its QNX - and owned by RIM. Not MSFT.

Windows 8 does sound like its got a few flavors, and a compatibility mode to run "all of your important windows software" (we'll see what that means, probably Win7 compatability mode?).

RIM owns Documents to Go. They have a brewing use of the Android player (think Google Docs).

Ya never know in the tablet world, I just think with the eventual Windows 8 tablets, saying "I want my playbook to run that (pointing at Windows 8)" is akin to owning a nice solid BMW pointing at a Mercedes saying "but I want his engine". If you want that engine, get that car. If running windows apps is that key, I suspect that will be the major selling point of Win 8.
    09-08-11 12:17 AM
    Windows makes software for computers. The playbook is a computer. I love the engine in my playbook and I don't want to buy a piece of crap windows tablet made by a some crapy company just to get some business windows software running. My analogy if you want to talk cars is: the playbook is a Ferrari and it runs QNX if I want to pick up a passanger, (windows 8) I should be able to and do the business I need to. When I am done, I should be able to open the door and eject the passanger any time I like. The engine is fine.
    09-08-11 01:58 AM
    the problem youve got is the operating system isnt the passenger in your example, its the seat... you cant just take a seat from a ford focus, whack it in your ferrari and then let the fat man jump in, theres a lot of work that goes into making that os/seat fit with the playbooks virtual machine/car... god this analogy is getting thin

i wouldnt say it definitely wont be done (just look at Wine and what not that you get on linux) but its going to take a good few devs a good amount of time to get it running and stable. When you consider how many vendors will jump on windows 8 at release i dont see why they would go to the trouble of porting it to an older / widely reported as unsuccessful platform (when win8 hits the playbook is going to be getting on for a couple of years old which is an eternity with computers - and note the "reported" part there, i love my pb personally but the media still insist on bashing them )

thats my 2 pence worth anyway, not impossible, not a bad idea either, but i do thini quite unlikely
    TBone4eva likes this.
    09-08-11 02:20 AM
    How many people would pay $99.00 to download a Windows 8 OS Tablet OS app if it became availabe in app world? Don't say it couldn't be done. I think it would actually launch the Playbook on the fast track into the business world and beyond. Just think about being able to load all of your important windows software on the playbook and have it work well.

The business world needs to be able to run their windows software and so far the closest thing to portability is a $200.00 net book. I would rather carry a playbook than a netbook, but I carry both. RIM needs to start working with Microsoft. They can't go any further in the tablet market without them. They have the right tablet and QNX is top shelf, now they need to put it to work.
    Then QNX will be absolete and all of RIM's hard work towards QNX will be a waste of time and money. Its like saying Android OS on an iPad, not a smart move.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 03:31 AM
    I have a Windows 7 tablet, and can tell you that running standard Windows applications on a tablet is no fun. Both the OS and the application need to be re-engineered or at least optimized for touch use.

Even Office is hardly usable. The one possible exception is OneNote with a stylus, but that is built for inking. But then, the PlayBook doesn't work well with a stylus.

So Windows 8 may be (incrementally) more touch-friendly than Windows 7, but untill the apps follow, I'm sticking to platforms that were designed for touch from day 1.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 09-08-11 at 05:05 AM.
    09-08-11 04:10 AM
    Doesn't interest me

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-08-11 04:43 AM
    I may be in over my head here and I do see how improbable it would be. I don't want to run windows on my playbook as an OS as it would need a wireless keyboard and mouse. You may as well carry a netbook. However if I could be running a critical software program specific to my business on an open app running within the QNX OS of the tablet, I would be willing to pay top dollar for the convenience. The only workaround for it now is to use a VNC, as many playbook users do. I am quite sure if they didn't need to use a VNC and instead use a windows app on the playbook, it would be a long term savings, rather than having to pay for computers just sitting around being used for VNC purposes only. Like I said before I just carry the playbook and a netbook as a workaround. Cheers guys and thanks for your input and ideas.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 09-08-11 at 04:49 AM.
    09-08-11 04:45 AM
    Windows makes software for computers. The playbook is a computer. I love the engine in my playbook and I don't want to buy a piece of crap windows tablet made by a some crapy company just to get some business windows software running. My analogy if you want to talk cars is: the playbook is a Ferrari and it runs QNX if I want to pick up a passanger, (windows 8) I should be able to and do the business I need to. When I am done, I should be able to open the door and eject the passanger any time I like. The engine is fine.
    Haha funny. That is a terrible analogy

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    09-08-11 06:41 AM
    I'd be willing to pay ~$100 for a windows office suite that runs on the PB, or a reasonable facsimile like Open Office. Instead, I just paid ~ $600 for a refurbed HP Slate 500. Although it's larger, heavier, initially slower to render and has a kludgier UI, it gives me a relatively infinite amount of existing program options compared to any "tablet". The existing state of the PB, billed as a "professional" tablet, falls way short of being a usefull tool as much as the Slate falls short as a simple, handy portable computer. My intuition, based on what I have seen and used in the world of compact portable computing for over 15 years is that only Microsoft has ever attempted to develop a true hybrid OS that would satisfy the professional while keeping the general population in bread and circuses. I have high hopes for whatever they develop for the tablet market as it would come out of the gate biased toward a commercial function with a few frills to satisfy the entertainment aspect. This is what RIM should have done with the PB.
    The logic is simple: Social media and bird games don't help me earn income, and income pays for social media and bird games.
    Schlymer likes this.
    09-08-11 07:32 AM
    I'm planning on just buying a windows 8 tablet and a cheap Android media tablet. One for real work and one to surf, play movies, music etc.
    09-08-11 08:18 AM
    I have a Windows 7 tablet, and can tell you that running standard Windows applications on a tablet is no fun. Both the OS and the application need to be re-engineered or at least optimized for touch use.

Even Office is hardly usable. The one possible exception is OneNote with a stylus, but that is built for inking. But then, the PlayBook doesn't work well with a stylus.

So Windows 8 may be (incrementally) more touch-friendly than Windows 7, but untill the apps follow, I'm sticking to platforms that were designed for touch from day 1.
    Windows 8 is designed for touch from the ground up
    Already it has 30,000+ apps
    Pb has ?

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    09-08-11 08:57 AM
    Give the playbook DUAL BOOT
    JR A likes this.
    09-08-11 09:03 AM
    i would hope of maybe a piecemeal offer. i only need a full functioning Word and Excel app. Docs2go is very limited and i own a BB phone so i wont need Outlook for e-mail. i would pay $50 for the 2 apps....
    09-08-11 11:00 AM
    Pb has ?

I think PB has about the same amount of apps. I remember 30,000 being thrown around when talking about apps on PB.

And don't have the actual Windows 8 OS on the PB. But the Windows compatibility on the PB would be amazing.
    09-08-11 11:18 AM
    Pb has ?

I assume you are talking about the new HTML5 and javascript platform they will be implementing for their new UI? which wont be the only one present on windows 8 of course. You still have the previous programming platforms like C, C#, C++, java, etc etc, giving you a limitless number of apps, plus you still have the traditional desktop, may not be that touch friendly though, but it wont be just 30,000. Development will still be as ample/extensive/rich as it is today.

QNX already runs C++, not yet for the blackberry playbook though :] and its not the same as windows of course, modification and recompiling will be required. HTML5 and javascript on blackberry devices is webworks, which the playbook and blackberry phones (OS6+?) have been capable of for quite some time, and java will run as the android and blackberry player, as mobile apps. Though not a match for the limitless possibilities windows carries, considering windows 8 is not just a "mobile" tablet OS, but rather a desktop OS, the playbook will have an ample development base, possibly more than its current direct competitors (iOS,Android).
    Last edited by gbsn; 09-08-11 at 12:35 PM.
    09-08-11 11:46 AM

Not true. Windows tablets have been around since before the ipad. Nothing new. I have one and it is great. As for paying $100.

Hells yes. My current Windows tablet is old and I need an upgrade.

And using XP Tablet edition was second nature. Very easy to use with the stylus. Stylus on a playbook meh probably not as easy though.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 09-08-11 at 01:20 PM.
    09-08-11 01:14 PM
    Stylus on a playbook meh probably not as easy though.
    That's when your fingers come in handy

09-08-11 03:43 PM
    Dual Boot would be cool just as long as it switches over just as fast as opening a new app...
    09-08-11 03:52 PM
    windows never go any lower than $200, system is overvalued
    09-08-11 05:48 PM
    Pb has ?

incorrect msft does have 30k + apps but they dont ALL work on EVERY Microsoft device... thats like saying all 400k iOS apps work on the iPad/iPhone (Wait they tell that lie too.....)
    09-08-11 06:38 PM
    ill be okay with just the android app player HAHAHA!
    09-08-11 11:57 PM
    RE: Windows 8 Tablet OS Apps for PlayBook

Why not? It's not bad to have "wishful thinking"...
    Schlymer likes this.
    09-09-11 12:38 AM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. One of the strengths of QNX is that it's a bullet-proof "HyperVisor" that can run Virtual Machines efficiently, like the Java VM or the Android Player VM. So why not let it run the Windows 8 VM as well? They'd likely have to cooperate with Microsoft on it, but it seems like it could be a win-win for both MS and RIM.
    09-13-11 10:43 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD