OK, one gets their shiny new 9850, and wants to move their BB environment from their crufty old Storm 1, using "Device Switch" in the Blackberry Desktop. What is not clear to me is whether one should include or exclude applications. There may be OS7 compatibility issues with the old OS5 apps, so is it better to exclude applications and install fresh (and presumably compatible) versions of the apps from the vendor/AppWorld/wherever, or include the applications, and try them to see what works, and delete/upgrade only those that don't work? Could this second strategy potentially corrupt things and make a big mess?
    maddie1128 likes this.
    09-06-11 05:58 PM
    This is a great question. I have the same concern. The last thing I want to do is muck up a nice clean OS.
    09-06-11 06:06 PM
    I thought there was a message/tutorial and how to switch and what to do/not do but I can't seem to find it. I think it had something to do with it messing up if you install the apps and stuff, and I think there was step-by-step of what to do. Anyone know how I can find/search for that thread? That would probably help the OP also.
    09-06-11 06:07 PM
    There was another thread on this exact subject. You should not switch any 3rd party apps. Reinstall them on the new device as some apps may not be compatible with the new software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    scmosher likes this.
    09-06-11 06:12 PM
    There was another thread on this exact subject. You should not switch any 3rd party apps. Reinstall them on the new device as some apps may not be compatible with the new software.
    Some apps are paid for, so installing them them fresh on the new phone would require paying again. Are you supposed to pay again when you change phones? What are the rules regarding this? And a refresh app install requires re-doing application setup.

The main question, though, is, does one risk corrupting the nice new phone by switching possibly incompatible apps from the old phone. It's one thing if the app simply does not work on OS7, and you can just uninstall it and go to the vendor to get a version that works (or just do without it). It's another if the incompatible app corrupts databases or scribbles in some random place, leaving you with a messed up phone.
    09-06-11 08:09 PM
    Some apps are paid for, so installing them them fresh on the new phone would require paying again. Are you supposed to pay again when you change phones? What are the rules regarding this? And a refresh app install requires re-doing application setup.

The main question, though, is, does one risk corrupting the nice new phone by switching possibly incompatible apps from the old phone. It's one thing if the app simply does not work on OS7, and you can just uninstall it and go to the vendor to get a version that works (or just do without it). It's another if the incompatible app corrupts databases or scribbles in some random place, leaving you with a messed up phone.
    Isn't appworld BBID dependant?

I'm going to assume that even if you switch devices, when you log into appworld with your BBID on the new device, your list of installed/uninstaled apps will show up. Just re-install from the list, even the paid ones.
    09-06-11 08:26 PM
    I've been wondering the same thing. My VZW 9850 will be here tomorrow and I'll be getting it up and running.

For example, I saw that QuickLaunch is now compatible with OS7. I bought it and run it on my Storm 1 and when I update my device on CB, I was wondering if I have to purchase it again.

Guess I'll find out one app at a time! Any of your experiences would be welcome if you have dealt with this with your new OS7 BB.
    09-06-11 08:42 PM
    Seems like lots of people are having problems on the 9900/9930 with switching apps, especially AppWorld apps. Seems that things can get very confused. In particular, sometimes there are multiple sets of executable files for same version of an app, for various OS platform versions. So you end up with the wrong executable for OS7, even though it reports the correct app version. And then the Blackberry ID issue can screw up things like the e-mail settings. Makes me kind of leary of including the apps. I found these threads with "Search Crackberry" with "device switch apps" keywords. For example http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-640289/
    Last edited by CharlesH; 09-06-11 at 09:08 PM.
    09-06-11 09:02 PM
    Some apps will let you transfer to your new phone/pin. Berryweather is one of them. I'd check out the websites of the apps you really want and see if they have something like that.
    Innerchild likes this.
    09-06-11 09:22 PM
    I upgraded to a 9850 from a 9670 on sprint.

I used blackberry desktop software to make a backup of my old phone. When I plugged in my new 9850 it asked if i wanted to restore from a backup. You can either plug in your old phone and then copy it to the new one or restore from backup. I just selected to plug my old phone in and transfer to new phone afterwards.

It moved all my apps, even ones not compatible with os7. When I tried running those apps they ran in compatibility mode ( not full screen) and they offered to update the version once I opened them anyways.

You do NOT have to rebuy apps. They are tied to your blackberry id/ app store email (email gets converted to blackberry ID in os7). I was able to transfer my bebuzz to my new phone and got a new unique pin sent from the company.

so in the end-- use blackberry desktop manager and it will detect a new phone, and make it into an exact copy of your old phone. As you begin using your old apps, you may be given the option to upgrade to the new version.

hope this helps to all.
    Innerchild likes this.
    09-06-11 10:55 PM
    I wonder what the official position from RIM and/or wireless providers is for how to do this kind of device upgrade. Far from being uncommon, I would expect that most purchasers of the 9930 or 9850 would be in this situation, assuming that they are upgrading from an older BlackBerry. It's not like unofficial software installs that void the warranty.
    09-07-11 02:04 AM
    i wanted to chime in on this. i switched from my 9780 on OS 6 to the 9860. i had it bring over all of my apps, even the unsupported ones. i was noticing bad battery drains (up to 7% and hour) at some times. i knew these apps werent supported and shouldnt have brought them over. i ended up deleting all of them and redownloaded them again. this time i was sure i was getting the proper version. even my paid Berryweather looked odd, as it was for a 9780's screen resolution. some apps i didnt delete, just re-downloaded them over the existing. after i reinstalled appworld and the apps i wanted, i noticed an immediate drop in battery use. im now sitting in the low 2% range at idle. i guess i cant prove the apps were definitely the cause, but it sure seems like it. i ran into a similar problem when i went from the 9700 to the 9800. battery life on the 9800 sucked, now i bet i know why.

in a nutshell, DO NOT bring your old apps over. just transfer your device data and download the apps separately. and you SHOULD NOT have to pay for your apps again. contact your app maker, as they will or should be able to transfer your license to your new PIN. mobihand has this on their website. you can edit your own account/PIN info and they will issue u a new code and transfer your license.
    09-18-11 05:59 AM
    I recently posted my experiences with device switch and 3rd party apps in the OS7 forum, take a look at it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ps-not-645756/
    09-18-11 01:23 PM
    Some apps are paid for, so installing them them fresh on the new phone would require paying again. Are you supposed to pay again when you change phones? What are the rules regarding this?
    App World keeps track of all this far as I know. You sign in with your BlackBerryID and the ones you paid for should show "Reinstall" instead of "Install".

Now... anything you have bought outside of BlackBerry App World, you'd need to research all that and how the vendors handle it.
    09-18-11 01:27 PM
    App World keeps track of all this far as I know. You sign in with your BlackBerryID and the ones you paid for should show "Reinstall" instead of "Install".

Now... anything you have bought outside of BlackBerry App World, you'd need to research all that and how the vendors handle it.

As a developer I thought I woule chime in here too:

App World apps are (as has already been said) tied into your blackberry ID. If you don't see an app listed anymore that is because the developer hasn't either provided a new version for your new device and OS or hasn't confirmed that the current build will work.

Mobihand apps you will need to login to your account and change your device model and switch to your new pin. You should also go to the my apps page and check for a 'switch version' option listed under each app. If it exists you need to select it and browse the versions available to find which is suitable for your new device.

In short, I would never just load your old apps via the device switch option. If you cannot find a version specifically for your new device you can then try loading it, but be aware that it may cause issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    09-18-11 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD