So I just got a Bold today and have been loving it although I had to recover it after trying to install some chinese fonts net_rim whatever and after reboot I got a application error.

Anyways I have been finding that when on Wifi it's been going on and off.. the wifi symbol anyways and wanted to know if this is normal for it? it's kinda annoying, is there a way to have wifi stay on all the time?

Also did anyone find working chinese fonts?
    08-23-08 08:42 PM
    08-23-08 08:43 PM
    Ya... I don't have the option it mentions

"Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected."

Under the mobile network options i only have

data services - on / off / off when roaming

mobile network

and network mode that only lists 2G / 3G / 3G & 2G

i'm using 4.6.0.126 for OS
    08-23-08 09:02 PM
    odd.. wifi started to stay on after i turned on and off the radio
    08-23-08 09:22 PM
    No Chinese suport? That is not good! Even MY 8100 have Chinese suport now. You mean I need to upgrade the os?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-08 11:24 PM
    Yep... I have three networks that I work in, the BB Bold performs exactly the same in all three.

1. It is really easy to connect to the wifi network.
    2. The BB Bold maintains a connection for a short period of time and then disconnects, as though it prefers 3G.
    3. If it is connected to wifi, surfing the web sometimes won't load pages. I suspect this is because it's losing connectivity, or the fight between 3G and Wifi is confusing the device. When under 3G it always loads pages.
    4. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that it connects to wifi when I don't need it, and when I do need or go to use wifi, it disconnects and switches to 3G.

The post regarding wifi setup is not very helpful for BB Bold users... we don't have some of the options that he's referring to. It's not that we can't make it connect... it won't stay connected.

I've also noticed that this war of wifi vs. 3G causes the device to pause and the clock (waiting) icon pops up every few seconds.

I know I'm not the only one having this problem with the Bold. Anyone solve it yet?
    08-23-08 11:51 PM
    I too am having this same issue. BB connects to WiFi, try using browser and it seems that the browser drops down to 2G. (I do not have 3G in this area) This is quite annoying. There are no preferences to ensure the WiFi is a preferred network. I'm doing some tests now with my router to see if the BB actually drops the connection with WiFi or if it simply switches to 2G when requesting data. This makes WiFi practically useless.

I'm using v4.6.0.125
    08-24-08 01:39 AM
    Well, I'll add my (admittedly somewhat clueless) two cents:

My Bold WiFi stays connected to my home router without issue, BUT I'm on EDGE here (I'm guessing, since it says EDGE by the connection level indicator?) so maybe that's why. FWIW.

I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have 3G, or even 2G where I live. It doesn't seem like the sticks, but I guess for networks connectivity it is.
    08-24-08 02:56 AM
    hey guys,

anyone have any further suggestions? I am having the exact problem. I can connect to my wifi at home, signal strenght is good, i have an ip address on my home network (wifi diags), i can even ping from bb to say google.com over wifi, but browsing doesn't work, lots of page timeouts, errors, etc. I'm using the 'hotspot browser' too as mentioned in the wifi howto thread. 3g works fine, but on wifi only, nothing works. on both, i have the same '3g vs. wifi war' describded above.

any ideas? or do we just have to wait for a new firmware?

thx,

oddboy
    08-27-08 11:34 AM
    Sorry, my WiFi guide does not cover any of the "new Berries", such as the Bold

I will only be able to implement if I get my hands on a Bold and have the time to make a write-up for it.
    08-27-08 11:37 AM
    hey guys,

anyone have any further suggestions? I am having the exact problem. I can connect to my wifi at home, signal strenght is good, i have an ip address on my home network (wifi diags), i can even ping from bb to say google.com over wifi, but browsing doesn't work, lots of page timeouts, errors, etc. I'm using the 'hotspot browser' too as mentioned in the wifi howto thread. 3g works fine, but on wifi only, nothing works. on both, i have the same '3g vs. wifi war' describded above.

any ideas? or do we just have to wait for a new firmware?

thx,

oddboy
    Check Browser / Options / Browser Configuration.

Kevin reported numerous similar problems when Javascript is enabled.

Kevin's Bold Rant
    Last edited by Reed; 08-27-08 at 02:28 PM.
    08-27-08 02:25 PM
    Chinese language and character set does not seem to be built into western hemisphere market devices. You need to load an OS which includes support for the out-of-area languages you need.

This thread seems to have some solutions for Chinese language display
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bol...racters-64678/

WARNING
    As always... make sure you backup as necessary before messing with the OS. We take the kudos for success, you get the pain if you brick your BB
    08-27-08 06:09 PM
    hey gang,

so, trying to trouble shoot this wifi vs 3g issue on my home network. i was on the phone with rogers last night for 2 hours (to no avail!).

While trying to figure out what's going on, i decided to capture traffic on the network. I noticed something interesting. capturing traffic from my firewall (a linux box), i can see ICMP (ping request / reply) coming from the bold when i use the ping tool in wifi diags. I can also see dns requests / responses coming from/to the bold. But i do not see any HTTP traffic when i try to use the hotspot browser. It's as if the bold sends the HTTP traffic out over the 3g chip, but icmp and udp over the wifi. Mini Moni (which only sort of works on 4.6 OS, but works enough for this test) seems to confirm this. Mini Moni only tracks GPRS traffic, not wifi traffic, and during this test, mini moni showed traffic going out over the GPRS radio when i was expecting to see it in my packet capture on wifi. Interesting.

I was also poking around on the bold looking for clues. I found a Host Routing Table entry labeled 'WiFi [60]'. It contains an aaddress/port list (of proxy servers or something? -- UMA related maybe?). These are:

rcp.na.blackberry.com:443
    rcp.na.blackberry.com:443
    216.9.242.88:443
    204.187.87.88:443

(the name rcp.na.blackberry.com resolves to the two ip addresses in the list).

I can reach these systems from my PC (just get get a blank page after the SSL handshake), but when trying to reach them from my bold, i get the message:

Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later.
    If the problem persists please contact your service provider.

..which I did.

The support guy at Rogers told me that to connect to a wifi network, you have to go in to Manage Connections -> Set-up Wifi Network. On the next screen, there should be 4 buttons (5 including the Back button). These are: Scan for Network, Mannually Add Network, Push Button Setup and Hotspot Login. That last button - the hotspot login button - seems to come and go. it only shows when you're connected to (successfully) a wifi network. However, pressing this button while connected to my home network resulted in the same error message above. The Hotspot Login button does not appear when not connected to a wifi network. confusing. I don't know what it's supposed to do.

In the end, Rogers told me to re-load the OS and see if that makes a difference. They also said it was probably my home network - even though the home network works fine for laptops, etc, and even though my bold connects to it, gets an ip address assigned, etc, can ping and do dns queries, just doesn't do TCP stuff over wifi. I also tried it on a wifi network at work and got the exact same results.

anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm hoping that i can get wifi working at some point. right now, wifi is useless to me. damn.

J
    08-28-08 08:53 AM
    I have a very easy way to setup your WIFI network at home, if your network do not have security code. Just take the sim card out. Reboot the phone. conect to wifi. Always works! But it did take me some time to deal with security code
    08-28-08 10:05 AM
    Connecting to the wifi works no problem. Bold gets an ip, default gateway, etc. I can ping from the bold over wifi, just not browse.

..And I'd really rather not remove the sim just to use wifi!

J

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-08 10:10 AM
    Reading the thread it sounds like wifi might be constrained by cell carrier, so it is only fully routed onto *billable* hotspots. That's about the behavior I would expect from bottom feeding service providers looking for easy money, and it should be easy enough to divert port 80.

I don't know if you can get to the firewall rules and routing table on a BB, but it would make interesting reading.
    08-28-08 10:19 AM
    I'm using the .125 OS installed out of the box, had my Bold for almost 24 hrs now and have had no problems connecting to Wi-Fi at home. It does take about 30 secs. to authenticate the connection and I could see that process in the diagnostic option.
    08-28-08 11:22 AM
    does wifi actually work though?

I connect to my wifi network no problem... my problem is that the bold doesn't actually use the wifi connection.
    08-28-08 11:25 AM
    does wifi actually work though?

I connect to my wifi network no problem... my problem is that the bold doesn't actually use the wifi connection.
    I wait for the Wi-Fi icon to change from grey to white then open up the browser and it is connecting on my home network.
    08-28-08 11:42 AM
    i do the same, but sniffing traffic on my wifi connection shows that web browsing does not actually hit the wifi network... i'm not convinced that wifi on the bold works at all - at least not on my device.
    08-28-08 12:05 PM
    You can really tell when it's actually working. Pages load faster obviously and installing appz OTA are just snappy. I had actually replaced my Bold this week at Best Buy and this new one seems to not disconnect AS much. I literally had to fight with Best Buy @ Downsview Toronto for this as he tried to tell me he had none when I could clearly see two in their glass cage.
    08-28-08 12:28 PM
    I don't even get that far...

I'll try .126 and see if that makes a difference.
    08-28-08 02:42 PM
    ok, after an os reload, i was able to see traffic going out onto my wifi network.

i noticed that my router was sending back ICMP 'packet too big, need to frag' messages to the BB. turns out that the MTU on my gateway's outward facing interface was set to 576 bytes.

reset that to 1500, and all is now well.

anyway, weirdness all 'round.

if you have problems with your wifi on a home network, check the mtu settings between your firewall and your service provider's modem.
    08-28-08 05:23 PM
    Yup after testing my new unit... the wifi stays connected and doens't disconnect like the other one..
    08-29-08 08:20 PM
    Reviving an old thread. Just got my Bold and love it so far.
    For testing, if I uncheck the "Mobile Networks", it turns off 3G, phone, everything except WIFI. So with my wifi connected and minimoni running in the backgroud (mini moni reads "No Net"), data usage count still goes up.

My browser is set to "Hotspot" and it doesn't let me browse if I turn off WIFI. But it doesn't make sense that mini moni would count data when my mobile networks have been switched off and WIFI is connected. Glitch with mini moni or am I actually being charged for DATA ?
    11-28-08 07:01 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD