Something that's driving me crazy lately... as no-one seems to have a logical answer to whether or not it's needed.

First I'll let you guys know how I use and carry along my 9900;
    ----------------------
    I always have my 9900 on my desk, making sure nothing lies on top of it.
    Not only as a precaution, because I'm afraid to damage the screen, but also because if I can't see it I might forget where I left it.

When I carry along my 9900, it's always in my jeans pocket, with the screen to my leg (carrying nothing else in this pocket, keys or anything else go in the other pocket).
    The backside of my phone is in a rubbercase, so it's well protected.
    I don't use the pouch that came in the box, as it does not fit with my current rubbercase.

* I've spoken to a few people who seem to know quite a bit, and actually have connections with people close to RIM.
    They have told me the screen is made of hardened glass, so it SHOULD be pretty scratch resistent.

** Up till now I have a protection sticker on my screen, but I would like to get rid of it if possible.
    (I have a few airbubbles underneath, which doesn't look too great, and sometimes I can feel it when working on the screen... also the sticker is very vulnerable when it come to fingerprints)
    ----------------------

What I would like to know, once and for all (all the mysterious rumours about this, that, yes, no, drives me crazy);

- The way I use and carry along my phone, would it be safe to get rid of the screen protection?
    Last edited by Dx3me; 09-05-11 at 02:11 PM.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    09-05-11 02:05 PM
    Honestly the only reason I have a screen protector it's for the random time when I'll have my bold and keys/change in my jeans pocket.
    oscarantonio718 likes this.
    09-05-11 02:08 PM
    I'm like you, I put my phone in my pocket sometimes too...I put an screen protector on my phone. I ponied up a lot of cash for this phone so I'm not taking any chances. Screen protector 100%

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 02:09 PM
    If you never, ever carry anything in your pocket, and know you will never, ever drop your phone you can rest easy without a screen protector. Otherwise, for your own ease of mind, I suggest a screen protector. Ghost Armor, ZAGG Invisible Shield, or one of the other top of the line shield will last a life time. Just in case....
    09-05-11 02:09 PM
    Another vote for screen protection here! I've just orderd myself a Martin Fields screen protector for my 9900. It cost a bit more than I would normally have spent on a screen protector, but hey, along with my Otterbox, its protecting a quality piece of kit
    09-05-11 02:25 PM
    Accidents happen. A screen protector is cheap insurance.
    andy_mk3 likes this.
    09-05-11 02:36 PM
    Yes... Better safe than have to live with scratched up screen...
    09-05-11 03:38 PM
    I say YES. I always have anti-finger print screen protectors (the high quality from SGP - Steinheil or TRU Protection). Good investment
    09-05-11 03:41 PM
    i say NO, keep it real
    i never once used a screen protector on any of my berries and they were all fine.
    09-05-11 03:46 PM
    I hate the fingerprints but I've never tried these units. I may give these a try.

09-05-11 04:00 PM
    No screen protector here. I keep my 9930 in the OEM pocket pouch and just love the way it looks without a case and screen protector!

09-05-11 04:04 PM
    Mine is in a suit jacket during the week and in a pocket with nothing else on the weekend. However accidents still happen so I may try one last time the non-fingerprint protector.

09-05-11 04:18 PM
    I carrired my storm in my pocket for 2.5 years and never got a scratch on the screen. The plastic parts are worn. So I trust no screen protection need. It just makes the phone look worse, since you can always see it. I just plan on using the pouch.

09-05-11 06:12 PM
    This is the one I bought:

Tru Protection BlackBerry Bold 9900 Screen Protector (Tru BB 9900) : BlackBerry Cases & Skins - Future Shop

It was easy to install (no liquid), keeps the glare off and feels great too, very smooth.
    09-05-11 06:16 PM
    I had the Tru Protection one. Went on very easy but took away from the screen imo. Made my screen too dull so I took it off.

09-05-11 06:20 PM
    Made my screen too dull so I took it off.
    Did you choose another one instead? Just curious.
    09-05-11 06:22 PM
    IMO a screen protector will offer virtually no protection at all. I used to always get screen protectors and even full body invisible cover things but in this day and age most of the phones have gorilla glass. I have had many phones and never had an issue. Even the ones that I accidentally dropped a few times on hard concrete. If the screen is going to crack from some kind of drop, the screen protector isn't going to do crap. Ever since going to touch screen phones (started with the incredible 1, x, tb, dc, x2, dinc2, and now 9930) I don't use screen protectors just because I think it feels better to use the screens without one. I guess if microscopic scratches that you will never notice with normal use will bug you,then yes get one. However even then there will be scratches on the screen protector. And if you are getting it to protect your investment for future resale, it's a waste of money. Oh that's another reason I stopped using it because I only used the high quality ones which cost a bit more and I was switching phones too often haha.
    09-05-11 06:23 PM
    Something that's driving me crazy lately... as no-one seems to have a logical answer to whether or not it's needed.
    Have you used them before on other devices? I really dislike screen protectors and have never damaged a screen yet. It's really a personal preference thing. the current device I'm using has gorilla glass and is very scratch resistant but my 9650 did very well without a screen protector. No matter how well they are installed it is easily seen they are on there. Your usage sounds pretty tame and you seem very careful. I go completely naked, no protector, no case. People swear by them, I don't. It's ultimately up to you.
    09-05-11 06:27 PM
    IMO a screen protector will offer virtually no protection at all.
    Huh??? <~~ The Blackberry's don't have Gorilla Glass and as far I am concerned, if it's not sapphire, you can scratch it.

I'm not sure if 3M has one for the 99XX yet but they make exceptional screen protectors. No liquid, tough as nails, and they clean up easier than the bare screen.

09-05-11 06:32 PM
    I guess if microscopic scratches that you will never notice with normal use will bug you,then yes get one. However even then there will be scratches on the screen protector. And if you are getting it to protect your investment for future resale, it's a waste of money. Oh that's another reason I stopped using it because I only used the high quality ones which cost a bit more and I was switching phones too often haha.
    I like my phones to remain as close to the way they were when I first took them out of the box, so I like the idea of protecting the screen and the device itself. It does add some resale value, I think. I've sold many of my older phones on craigslist and the first question from the buyer is always "does it have any scratches or dead pixels". If your screen protector is resilient enough, if it gets scratched, that's one less scratch on the original screen. Same for the body, I buy Otterbox (generally speaking) because when they come off, you almost cannot tell the phone has been used. Just my $.02 worth.
    09-05-11 06:33 PM
    I like my phones to remain as close to the way they were when I first took them out of the box, so I like the idea of protecting the screen and the device itself. It does add some resale value, I think. I've sold many of my older phones on craigslist and the first question from the buyer is always "does it have any scratches or dead pixels". If your screen protector is resilient enough, if it gets scratched, that's one less scratch on the original screen. Same for the body, I buy Otterbox (generally speaking) because when they come off, you almost cannot tell the phone has been used. Just my $.02 worth.
    I sell around 10+ phones on craiglist a year and microscopic scratches on the screen isn't going to affect resale value. Most people just take a quick glance and if it is good then no questions asked. Last one I sold was my X and that probably had very small scratches on it but I couldn't tell on normal use and sold at or above the going rate. Going to sell my Droid Charge next and I don't think it will be an issue that I never had a screen protector on it. But you have to keep in mind that I am a very careful user and my screen is always facing up on a table,desk when not used and facing my leg when in pocket (and always in pocket alone).

And to the guy that said this isn't gorilla glass, my bad. I just assumed because I just caught wind of the new bold and wanted to switch back to BB. Since basically all new androids were gorilla glass I assumed BB would also do that. However I still don't think it'll be a problem. It's all a matter opinion and I was just voicing mine that it's not really necessary and from my experience it will not add to resale value.
    09-05-11 06:48 PM
    Did you choose another one instead? Just curious.
    No. Never did with my iPhone 4 either. Not gonna bother
    09-05-11 07:35 PM
    I had matte finish Ghost Armor applied to my 9900 at the mall and love it. The part that covers the screen, however, is transparent. One thing to keep in mind is that Ghost Armor SCRATCHES and does so pretty easily. You can make a mark with your fingernail. It does protect really well but the product itself is not indestructible. The Invisible Shield, on the other hand can't be scratched by anything. It sort of self heals meaning you can rub on a scratch and it will disappear. The disadvantage is that is has more orange peel the GA and is not as transparent. Since both products carry a lifetime warranty against scratching it's not a big deal but the IS is absolutely much more resistant to scratching then GA.
    09-05-11 07:54 PM
    i like screen protection.i don't like having otterbox protection though.im not a guy who drops his device frequently.i have been using my old device with only a screen protector.no case whatsoever for 3 years to be exact.same will go for my new device when i get it.a screen protector is all i need.i also never needed the full body protection which zagg invisibleshield offers.im just too careful with any of my devices.i treat them like i treat my car.
    09-05-11 08:05 PM
    smart phones I started with Palm Centro to BB Tour to BB 9650 now 9930. Never have used a screen protector & have never scratched a screen. I always use the supplied carrying case. I tried a screen protector on my Playbook until I noticed how crappy my screen looked compared to demo units in stores so I ripped it off & will not put one back on.
    Screen protectors are a big gimmick on most of todays phones, have you ever noticed when you buy a product at Best Buy the 1rst thing they do is try to sell you a $5000 screen protector that makes your screen look like crap? you dont notice how bad it looks until one day you browse around & see your device on display
    09-05-11 08:10 PM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD