Okay so my 5 day old replacement Bold 9900 decided that all the buttons on the device stop working!
    Seriously? 5 days old?? And on my second 9900?!?!

The first thing I thought of to fix it was a battery pull, didn't work so I got my laptop out to reload the OS and whilst sitting there waiting for it to boot up (I have Vista, so yeah it was a while!) I just stared at the phone and picked it up in so much anger I punched it as hard as I could and threw it back down....suddenly it light up as did my eyes...I picked it up and it started working perfectly fine! What on earth is wrong with it and why did it do that?
    Its 5 days old so I can assure you it's been nowhere near water and it's been well looked after (Until I punched it today obvs)

I want to love this phone so bad but it's giving me every reason to hate it!
    So, to anyone that might encounter this issue, just give it a whack! Let the anger flow
    09-04-11 03:06 PM
    Overnight, the F, J and K buttons on my phone stopped working. I'm really trying to avoid my urge to "fix it" as you did with yours. Any idea why the keyboard screwed up?
    BBConvert84 likes this.
    09-29-11 08:33 AM
    only had it for a week and the alt del enter x v b d p buttons stoped working what the efffff i just switched back to blackberry my iphone never did this i still love my blackberry even after it betrayed me but what the eff
    10-31-11 12:39 PM
    Thanks Ssteffan, I had a similar problem that got me so upset today until i came across your post. Initially I thought your suggestion was weird so I was skeptical to try it but when i could get any other solution I just gave the phone a whack and you know what? 8 hours headache just disappear! The phone's keyboard start working!!!
    xlaurenstephens likes this.
    02-09-12 12:12 PM
    I can't believe that worked...
    Was just having the same problems.
    03-05-12 11:36 PM
    HAHAHAHA I did exactly the same thing last week with my 9700!!
    I think it could have something to do with the connector for the keyboard/trackpad being in behind the battery?? Maybe was a little bit loose and the hard knock whacked it back in place?

If it's happening to a brand new phone maybe you want to take it back? I don't know what the whacking does to the longevity of the phone....
    03-06-12 11:01 AM
    So I guess everyone is trying to smash their keyboards up BUT I had the same problem and instead of smashing it I tried something else that also worked. So idk if yous know but the keyboard is connected to the motherboard by one small little ribbon connector. All you have to do is push in this ribbon connector and voila!

The ribbbon connector is located right under the 'back' button and 'end call/power' button so if you push hard down in that area your keyboard should work fine .
    03-19-12 09:01 AM
    So I guess everyone is trying to smash their keyboards up BUT I had the same problem and instead of smashing it I tried something else that also worked. So idk if yous know but the keyboard is connected to the motherboard by one small little ribbon connector. All you have to do is push in this ribbon connector and voila!

The ribbbon connector is located right under the 'back' button and 'end call/power' button so if you push hard down in that area your keyboard should work fine .
    Had the same issue, and the same fix worked for me. For me, the problem started happening after I dropped the phone on its face. Dropping at that angle could force the keyboard connector to slightly disconnect. I opened up the phone, pushed the connector down a bit more, and it's been working 100% fine ever since. Wish I saw this post first, as I had to come up with the solution myself. Only took about 3 minutes to get the phone apart and press down the connector. I spent more time doing battery pulls. I used this guide to take it apart:

Good Luck! Better to know how to do this than to deal with returning the phone, and possibly getting a refurbished phone with other problems. At least this problem is easy to fix, and probably any BB that gets hit just right has this same issue.
    03-19-12 12:53 PM
    Note that taking apart your phone to fix an issue like this may void your warranty.

JB
    03-19-12 01:04 PM
    I bought myslef a Bold 9930 for Christmas and it worked fine while I had it. My wife decided to make it her Bold 9930 and after a few days all the buttons stopped responding. I did a battery pull and that did not resolve it. I didn't think of trying to reload the OS at the time. I called Verizon as I had insurance and they sent me a refurbished phone overnight. The refurbished phone looked as good as new and worked as good as new for about two days until it then locked up as well. This time a battery pull resolved it. She immediately demanded her iPhone 4 back which I couldn't do fast enough. iPhone 4 was nice but I am a Crackberry Guy! I wiped the phone and loaded my backup onto it and it has run flawless ever since. Maybe the Crackberry Gods were smiling down upon me.
    03-19-12 01:12 PM
    I'm really trying to avoid my urge to "fix it" as you did with yours.
    I am having a tough day and this made me laugh Thank You!
    03-19-12 01:14 PM
    I don't know what the whacking does to the longevity of the phone....
    Time will tell!
    03-19-12 01:18 PM
    Ok....this might be a solution, but then again it might not...but here goes anyways. I have had one occasion where a 9900 came into our repair shop and the "J" "F" and "SEND" call buttons weren't working. I tried a new keypad assembly we had and it still exhibited the same behaviour. The same keys weren't working. I then decided to reflow / apply some "gentle" heat to the connector itself on the circuit board and voila.......it worked

Now, I didnt get to document or write up about it, BUT I just updated the website and I'm going to show / point out to you exactly which connector on the circuit board I am referring to. Maybe if you took it to some repair centre, they would do the same thing (well thats IF a keypad assembly change didnt work or a OS reload)

Click this link How to change the screen on a BlackBerry 9930 / 9900 | Wayne's World ... now scroll downwards, and the 5th , 6th and 17th picture I posted, that connector is what connects the keypad to the board. That's the connector I used a heatgun and reflowed and it worked. I never saw the customer return the phone since then

Hopefully I helped....well somehow
    blackburberry likes this.
    03-19-12 09:40 PM
    Haha amazing I gave my phone a bash after reading this and it worked a charm!
    03-31-12 05:24 AM
    This is actually quite interesting. Typically, it is acceptable to whack heavy farm equipment (due to something mechanical getting stuck), but I never dreamed I would hear this is the solution for stuck keys on my phone (in the event I ever had that issue). I will file this tip away!
    03-31-12 06:32 AM
    Unbelievable, but i followed your instructions (I whacked the phone) and now works.
    05-16-12 10:31 PM
    My S,W,L,G,H and touch pad buttons have stopped working, it has happened before and fixed itself but now it doesnt seem to want to do that. unfortunately beating the out of it hasnt worked either, if there is a solution without having to take it in anywhere i would appreciate any feedback. also does anyone know where to get the proper screwdriver to take apart the phone properly? thanks
    07-02-12 10:36 AM
    My phone has the exact same problem. S,W,L,G,H, and pushing down on the track pad doesn't work. I was going to pull it apart and check the connection for the keypad. When I pulled the bottom cover off the left bolt has white paste on it. I guess i have to send it in.
    07-09-12 07:23 PM
    My phone has the exact same problem. S,W,L,G,H, and pushing down on the track pad doesn't work. I was going to pull it apart and check the connection for the keypad. When I pulled the bottom cover off the left bolt has white paste on it. I guess i have to send it in.
    That's the warranty sticker. So if you have warranty the best bet is to send it in for repair.
    07-10-12 01:07 PM
    I can't believe how many people are having to do this to get their phones to work!
    I completely forgot I started this thread as I went to the dark side on 10/26/2011 but it wasn't intentionally.....

2 days after this thread it stopped working again even after punching it, it still didn't work! I ended up having three Bold 9900's that all failed so Vodafone gave me a Torch 9860, had that for 5 days but couldn't stand typing on it then RIM services went down for 3 days so I lied to Vodafone saying it had broke they told me to choose a different make and model, I couldn't believe myself when I said after 4 years of owning a BlackBerry, I was done!

Vodafone sent me a HTC Desire Z (G2) which I chose myself as I wanted a phone that wasn't the iPhone not a BlackBerry but had a good keyboard. (there really isn't much choice here in the UK for that!)

The first G2 lasted 8 days then the hinge broke so they sent me a replacement which was damaged as soon as I took it out the box! The keyboard was peeling off and the memory card slot was out of alignment. I was angry but not too much as I don't really care for Android, in fact I really can't stand the OS!

I rang Vodafone in rage, I said this is the 5th handset to go wrong they told me to choose a different phone and to my surprise I said the iPhone At first they weren't playing ball telling me the only way I could get one is upgrade or buy one I said no after all the sh*t I've been through I'm not paying for nothing! So after 3 days of calling them (10+ times in a single day) they caved in and gave it me telling me if it broke, even 20 times I'd not be able to have a different phone I said thats fine I don't want any other!

I had my iPhone on the 10/26/2011 but after only a week I bought myself a Curve 8900 just for email and BBM because email on the iPhone was shocking just like the G2. then it began...

I missed the BB6 / 7 OS so much I sold the Curve, got a Bold 9700 used that for a few weeks then I swapped it with my friend for her Torch 9810 (she didn't have a clue about phones I'd have never swapped!) I liked the Torch and being back with OS7 it was great alongside my iPhone. But then I got itchy feet... I sold the Torch to get the new Curve 9360 which was a fantastic phone, I used it for a few months before I made the plunge and sold my iPhone to came back to BlackBerry full time!
    After a month of being back with BlackBerry I craved the 9900 so badly but was so unsure after all the issues I had.

But here I am with my Bold 9900 again its been very good so far, it's around three months old. I'm so glad I made the decision to come back as I can confidently say I won't move from BlackBerry now not even after going through 3 9900's, 1 Torch, two HTC's and an iPhone in the space of 2 1/2 months! Vodafone must really hate me, when I call them it must flash red on their screen saying DON'T ANSWER LOL!

What a journey it has been just had to share the fiasco I've been through hoping no one ever has to go through it. Got to the point where BB Protect said I had too many active devices registered to my account!

I'm now eagerly waiting for the BB10 Qwerty Device! Also RIM pushing the release dates back isn't so bad for me as I'm not due for an upgrade till late December this year
    Last edited by Ssteffan; 07-15-12 at 12:40 PM.
    07-15-12 12:35 PM
    Even tho its been 6 months since this post i thought i say that i had exactly the same issue with mine exact same keys and pressing down in the track pad ... Happy to say that pulling the keyboard off and reseating the ribbon cable did the trick .. The connector was loose-ish .. Now its tight and every key is working perfectly ... This phone has never worked this well .. Its now that i see why everyone raves about the 9900 keyboard .. Geez can i smash out email and can use it for what i bought it for ... Cant wait for the Q10
    02-23-13 12:05 PM
    New Keypad www.ETradeSupply.com and you can get a new chin plate that doesn't have a carrier logo for a buck fitty while your at it!
    Last edited by olblueyez; 11-10-13 at 05:31 AM.
    03-03-13 10:05 PM
    So I've had the same issue with my keyboard, the 'a' button and the navigation buttons were not working all of a sudden. Several reboots, battery presses, etc. didn't work.

Solution was what someone mentioned previously, basically pressed really hard onto the 'call' and 'menu' buttons, and then also on the 'back' and 'end call' buttons, which apparently pushes the keyboard connector back in under one of those sets of those, which makes sense because I actually drop my phone a lot.
    03-31-13 02:05 PM
    whaoo mine worked just after one hard slap near the power key. i thought it was a joke and i was frustrated with my phone but now its working perfect.
    05-03-13 09:49 AM
    I didn’t face any keypad/buttons problem yet. In fact I would say the design of blackberry keyboard/keypad/buttons is more comfortable as compared to others Smartphone….
    05-09-13 06:58 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD