hi all,

my 1st bb, i noticed my colleagues previous models like the 9780, upon insertion of the phone into the holster, the phone goes into auto lock and the reverse happens ie unlocks, when you pull it out of the holster,

but on my new 9900, upon insertion of the phone into the holster, it doesn't lock, instead either the convenience key gets activated or the track pad activates something.

i have already enabled the setting to lock upon insertion to holster, yet it does not happen

any1 experience the same problem? or is it not a feature of the 9900 and the metal object at the front of the holster a dud?

many thanks in advance
    09-03-11 11:07 PM
    The holster MUST have a magnet installed in order to activate the sleep/lock mode.
    09-03-11 11:11 PM
    Which holster are you using? does it have a magnet? will a small piece of metal attract to it?
    09-03-11 11:13 PM
    Yeah, my guess is you have a funky/non OEM holster.
    09-03-11 11:15 PM
    If you have the OEM BlackBerry swivel holster for the 9930 it has the magnet in it. If you have it take it back and get a replacement. If you're using a holster not for the 9930 (the OEM one is the only one out at the moment) the magnet either isn't there or isn't in the right place.
    09-03-11 11:19 PM
    hi every1 again, many thanks for the replies,

i am using the original BB holster that came with the phone in the sealed box, it has the blackberry logo on the front of the holster, plus i can feel a metal object in the front, pretty sure that it is the original holster and not an oem 1.

by the looks of the replies in here, it is safe to assume every1 else's 9900 will lock upon insertion into holster and either my phone or the holster has a problem

any other input would be much appreciated. For comparison's sake, my box says made in Hungary.
    09-04-11 01:49 AM
    hi every1 again, many thanks for the replies,

i am using the original BB holster that came with the phone in the sealed box, it has the blackberry logo on the front of the holster, plus i can feel a metal object in the front, pretty sure that it is the original holster and not an oem 1.

by the looks of the replies in here, it is safe to assume every1 else's 9900 will lock upon insertion into holster and either my phone or the holster has a problem

any other input would be much appreciated. For comparison's sake, my box says made in Hungary.
    go to options>security>password than scroll down and check lock handheld upon holstering than it should be good to go
    dmusicman385 likes this.
    09-04-11 01:51 AM
    Friend of mine has the same issue with his 9900 OEM holster. When I put my 9900 in his holster it doesn't lock as well. I have no issues with mine, so get back to the store and have your holster replaced.
    09-04-11 03:49 AM
    I used to have the same issue on the first day..
    Finally I found out that it was the holster not the phone, the holster built in magnet wasn't in the right position to reach the phone sensor or magnet.
    all you have to do is just put your blackberry in, then slightly push and slide up the middle front of the holster.
    09-04-11 05:22 AM
    Hopefully, the OP is inserting the phone with the screen towards the inside of the holster, the correct way. Insertion with the screen facing out isn't the proper way.
    09-04-11 07:16 AM
    So, en2cs8. I have also noticed these things. However, you must push that device all the way down to the bottom of the case. Magnets don't go bad. Also I have an OEM sleeve as well as the case. Either direction will achieve the same result as they were designed for that. Just make sure your device is pushed all the way to the bottom of your case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 07:49 AM
    Hopefully, the OP is inserting the phone with the screen towards the inside of the holster, the correct way. Insertion with the screen facing out isn't the proper way.
    Doesn't matter which direction the phone is facing! Most likely the the OP doesn't have....Lock upon holstering checked off! Its really a preference which way to face the phone, I like facing out, so that I can see the status lite ; )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 08:35 AM
    the location of the magnet have been changed from
    spacebar (9000,9700,9780,8520,9650,9630,8910,8900 and a lot more that i didn't mention)
    to trackpad (9900)
    in case that you all didn't believe me, try refrigerator magnet on your 9900.
    09-04-11 08:35 AM
    The official product pictures would beg to differ:
    09-04-11 09:04 AM
    thanks to all for your replies, but i am putting it in both ways but still nothing, changed the phone 3 times, still the same, and yes like i said in my 1st post the settings for 'lock upon insertion into holster' has been checked, tried fridge magnet too, doesn't work, tried shifting the magnet in the holster up and down too and tested that the holster magnet is working too, BUT my phone just won't lock
    09-06-11 11:20 PM
    The official product pictures would beg to differ:
    ACTUALLY, The best and correct way to insert a phone into a holster is screen facing toward your body so if you bang up against something while your screen is facing towards you, whatever you bang up against wont damage the most vulnerable area on the phone... the screen.
    09-06-11 11:48 PM
    Now,How am I suppose to see the blinking led ?
    09-07-11 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD