Hey guys,
    As you know the Native SDK is upon us.

It includes all the POSIX libraries, OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 and OpenKODE.

So the question is: what opensource POSIX-compliant, OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 or OpenKODE applications do you know of that you want on your Playbook?

List them here.

Try to find applications that do not depend on external libraries such as SDL (Wesnoth) and Qt/Photon (VLC) until we have built them for the Playbook.

For those with the native SDK, here are some simple example apps: http://embedded.org.ua/opengles/lessons.html
    Last edited by xsacha; 09-04-11 at 01:29 AM.
    jxnb and Herve5 like this.
    09-03-11 12:35 AM
    so does it mean that you have in your possession a native sdk and are willing to port apps for us?
    09-03-11 01:48 AM
    I'll happily port your apps if they don't depend on external libraries.
    marksasongko likes this.
    09-03-11 02:05 AM
    Xsacha, could you please post any of those working samples for sildeloading on the PB and just see it running? Thanks! Wolf.
    09-03-11 07:40 AM
    How about porting this:

QuteMol

QuteMol an opensource molecular model viewer that would alow me to visualize Protein Database Structures on the Playbook and display them out via HDMI. I need more scientific apps not games.

Here is a link to more such programs if anyone is interested:

RCSB PDB
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    09-03-11 07:46 AM
    I'm a layman, so I don't know whether these would meet your requirements / not, but a good pdf reader is something that the playbook needs and maybe you could port sumatra

Sumatra PDF reader

thanks xsacha
    09-03-11 09:44 AM
    if the library itself is open, could you compile the library along with the main program? (forgive my ignorance, I don't know of these things and I'm just using what little knowledge I have to ask)
    09-03-11 09:46 AM
    Yes, you can compile and include external libraries. They are usually quite large and include platform specific code so they will be considerably more difficult.

I will check out those listed apps.
    Edit:Sumatra is a windows app. QuteMol depends on wx. QuteMol would be achievable by replacing wx or porting wx - not that huge.
    Last edited by xsacha; 09-03-11 at 05:33 PM.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    09-03-11 05:18 PM
    okay, thanks anyway.. I'll keep a lookout for another open source pdf reader
    09-03-11 10:43 PM
    How about porting this:

QuteMol

QuteMol an opensource molecular model viewer that would alow me to visualize Protein Database Structures on the Playbook and display them out via HDMI. I need more scientific apps not games.

Here is a link to more such programs if anyone is interested:

RCSB PDB
    I would definitely be interested in this.
    09-04-11 01:19 AM
    Update: I have ported ARToolKitPlus 2.2 to Playbook
    09-04-11 03:57 AM
    VLC please! They even have a QNX entry on their other OS page.
    09-04-11 07:01 AM
    VLC depends on external libraries -- namely Photon/Qt.

Once Qt is ported, 1000s upon 1000s of apps can be recompiled to work on Playbook -- VLC being one of them.

Is it true that standard QNX has Qt support but 1) it hasn't been compiled for ARM and 2) it hasn't been compiled to support libscreen (which we need to get pretty windows).
    09-04-11 07:38 AM
    what about R statistics
    The R Project for Statistical Computing

R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics. It compiles and runs on a wide variety of UNIX platforms, Windows and MacOS. To download R, please choose your preferred CRAN mirror. Its also bult for CLI but does have GUI available

R FAQ
    09-04-11 08:15 AM
    check out Bacula Bacula, the Open Source, Enterprise ready, Network Backup Tool for Linux, Unix, and Windows

Its a console/browser ui app
    Bacula is a set of Open Source, enterprise ready, computer programs that permit you (or the system administrator) to manage backup, recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of computers of different kinds. Bacula is relatively easy to use and efficient, while offering many advanced storage management features that make it easy to find and recover lost or damaged files. In technical terms, it is an Open Source, enterprise ready, network based backup program.

System Requirements
    09-04-11 08:37 AM
    How about PuTTY for telnet and SSH? Not sure if it needs external libraries.

PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client
    09-04-11 10:12 AM
    The Playbook comes with a ssh app. It just needs a UI.
    09-04-11 11:03 AM
    VLC depends on external libraries -- namely Photon/Qt.

Once Qt is ported, 1000s upon 1000s of apps can be recompiled to work on Playbook -- VLC being one of them.

Is it true that standard QNX has Qt support but 1) it hasn't been compiled for ARM and 2) it hasn't been compiled to support libscreen (which we need to get pretty windows).
    Hmmm Xsacha you know your stuff! Would love for them to port Qt so VLC could be available!
    09-04-11 11:06 AM
    so the next question is, who do we turn to for help in porting qt?
    09-04-11 12:24 PM
    Any .pdf reader!

Any chess software or tools would be appreciated.

Any astronomy software or tools would be appreciated.
    09-04-11 01:38 PM
    The Playbook comes with a ssh app. It just needs a UI.
    And Marc Paradise (author of BBSSH) is already working on it. He just won't be able to post anything about the project until the NDA period for the current NDK closed beta is over.
    09-04-11 02:05 PM
    so the next question is, who do we turn to for help in porting qt?
    Already looking into what it would take, and all the details of how I would do it, and I'm confident I should be able to publish something pretty soon after the NDK is actually available to the public.
    marksasongko likes this.
    09-04-11 02:07 PM
    I'd love Barry
    thought it requires USB host mode to be enabled.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if RIM used Barry as the core of Blackberry Desktop Manager for playBook (or, a version that runs on the PlayBook). It'd be easier than recompiling the current bdm; providing Barry isn't bloated.
    Last edited by grahamf; 09-04-11 at 10:00 PM.
    Herve5 likes this.
    09-04-11 02:13 PM
    Cool. I expect Qt will have a lot of interest. Thanks for looking at that dkonigs.

Anyone to work on SDL?
    09-04-11 06:25 PM
    Anythings Computer Algebra System related, like a Texas Voyage Emulator or something like Wolframm Mathematica?
    Herve5 likes this.
    09-04-11 07:37 PM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD