Hey guys,

Are all 9900's not flush and have rough feel between bottom of screen and home screen buttons/trackpad. When you scroll up on trackpad do you feel it not level?

Thanks in advance.
    09-01-11 05:11 PM
    Hey guys,

Are all 9900's not flush and have rough feel between bottom of screen and home screen buttons/trackpad. When you scroll up on trackpad do you feel it not level?

Thanks in advance.
    I checked out the 9900 last week and was not impressed with the build quality. As it's now RIM's flagship product it should at least match up to my old 9700. Sadly, NO.

Combine that with no auto focus and a battery that will just about see you through the day if your very lucky, shame.
    09-01-11 05:20 PM
    So did you notice the same issue or is it just mine? Thanks for response.
    09-01-11 05:25 PM
    I can feel mine when sliding my finger from the screen to the buttons. The buttons are raised up just up enough to feel it. I'm not too worried about it just yet. I'll wait and see what it's like after a period of use, but it doesn't really bother me. I probably wouldn't have even noticed or worried about it if I didn't read about it hear and go looking for it.

My VZW 9930 is a Mexico 5 if anyone's tracking that.
    09-01-11 05:36 PM
    same as Foppa_21 my Sprint 9930 is made in Mexico 5 as well, but these seem to be how its supposed to be built. I never noticed the screen issue with the home buttons until i ran my fingers over it while reading this, and i still don't see a big issue (yes I feel it but I doubt it is a defect, just how its built).
    09-01-11 05:46 PM
    Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
    Same on my device (Made in Hungary)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 07:11 PM
    Well, this looks like something to look for when purchasing a new 9930. Anyone have any other things to look out for when you're in the store purchasing a new 9930?
    09-01-11 07:20 PM
    this is normal
    drfever likes this.
    09-01-11 08:08 PM
    I have that on my 9900. I freaking love this phone. I really don't care about the slight roughness in that spot. But I do think this is the best keyboard on the planet, awesome speakers, great web browsing, great email, everything just flies on this phone. I am completely ahppy with it.

drfever likes this.
    09-01-11 08:30 PM
    It isn't normal IMO. I have one that is perfectly flush such that there is no transition from the screen to the panel i.e. it is flush. I've seen approximately 15-20 units now and about 50% are flush. Most are 'almost' flush and some way, way off so much so that it feels sharp.

I have a mushy menu key and misaligned to the right trackpad but I'm thinking I'll hang on to it as those issues don't seem as bad as the non-flush panel.
    Last edited by mhw100; 09-03-11 at 11:44 PM.
    09-01-11 10:51 PM
    this is normal
    Even though I love RIM products, I have to say you are wrong. Bold 99xx have huge quality control issues. It is NOT normal when RIM did not intentionally made it that way.

I know more iPhone fails over a year of use than Blackberries, BUT less iPhone have hardware defects right out of the box. In other words, if RIM wants to compete with the rest of the world, they should at least control their manufacturing quality. Some phone companies have huge rate of defects compared to others. (Made in Mexico 5) It looks like 7 out of every 10 Telus Bold 9900 sold in BestBuy Western Canada locations are defective. One of my customers today returned the phone argue with Telus rep on the phone for about an hour and went with an iPhone4 because her Telus phone bleeds light from the bottom plate. Same problem I had on my first one. One less customer for RIM.

I returned TWO Telus Bold 9900s... I am on my third one now.

If the following things happens, the phone is defective no matter what BS your service provider and RIM come up with:

1. If the phone surface parts are not smooth (not flush)

2. If the light bleeds out from anywhere around the phone

3. If a key fell off when you take out your phone from the OEM holster

4. If your phone was damaged thanks to RIM's OEM holster

5. If you get double type when you type once

6. When you press on some keys, if they make a different noise than other keys on the keyboard.

7. If your phone is made in any where near Mexico LOL
    Last edited by mss-ca; 09-01-11 at 11:17 PM.
    09-01-11 11:12 PM
    I checked out the 9900 last week and was not impressed with the build quality. As it's now RIM's flagship product it should at least match up to my old 9700. Sadly, NO.

Combine that with no auto focus and a battery that will just about see you through the day if your very lucky, shame.
    I must say I'm quite the opposite actually, I am very impressed at the build quality, it far surpasses all blackberry that have passed by my hands.
    in fact, co-workers with iphone4 have said it feels great an looks great. My other BB friends are jealous big-time.

as for the OP's question, mine is ever so slightly raised, but that's because the buttons below the screen push down and are on springy things so it's normal not to line up perfectly, definitely NOT a defect as another poster suggested. I work in the aerospace sector designing turbine engines, and our multi-million dollar products come with variations, it's because of tolerances. Point is you can't demand absolute perfection. Anyway OP it doesn't bother me in the least

great phone so far, I love it!
    09-01-11 11:52 PM
    Nope...its not like that on every one! I've gone through a few, 2 had the lift in buttons or vice versa from the screen being not flush which would create that ruff feeling. Just have to hunt and find one that doesn't have it...very annoying I must say, RIM still can't get its Quality control down after all these years.

09-02-11 04:06 AM
    thanks all for your input... do you think this is the reason i always hit the botton of the touchscreen while using my trackpad causing for misclicks on browser etc? or is everyone having this problem?

thanks
    09-02-11 10:46 AM
    thanks all for your input...

not double post but I forgot to add, is the raised screen only on mexico 4 builds?

do you think this is the reason i always hit the botton of the touchscreen while using my trackpad causing for misclicks on browser etc? or is everyone having this problem?
    shupor likes this.
    09-02-11 10:53 AM
    thanks all for your input...

not double post but I forgot to add, is the raised screen only on mexico 4 builds?

do you think this is the reason i always hit the botton of the touchscreen while using my trackpad causing for misclicks on browser etc? or is everyone having this problem?
    On Telus it seems like only Mexico 4 and Mexico 5.
    09-02-11 11:12 AM
    The non flush is out of all the plants. The random link selection is fixed on .353.

09-02-11 11:18 AM
    -
    Mine feels like I am stroking a Razors edge ...

Returning it for a replacement (bought online from amazon)

and if thats no good, am going to ask for my half a grand+ back and wait for the QNX to show its face ...

Glad I still have my 9700

-
    -
    Last edited by perfectus; 09-03-11 at 06:39 PM.
    09-03-11 06:19 PM
    -

and if thats no good, am going to ask for my half a grand+ back and wait for the QNX to show its face ...

-
    -
    Keep the faith - you might actually get one that is reatively flush.

illuminatus likes this.
    09-03-11 06:33 PM
    Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
    I had this too and so did my friend who owns a Telus centre (still trying to get me to swith over from Rogers but not until their plans come down lol)

Both our devices (mine mexican and his Canadian) have this.

When you press down it's flush. So what would you prefer .. pressing down and then it's flush or having it flush and when pressing it isn't.

That one strip is ONE strip, not 4 individual buttons. If it had no give it would crack on frequent use.

He checked other devices in his store and his sales rep's store... most of them had it like this.

Are we really now nitpicking over micro millimetres?

There's nothing wrong with the device. It's fine. With use it will probably be the reverse.
    09-03-11 07:24 PM
    -
    Mine feels like I am stroking a Razors edge ...

-
    -
    Really? Some people are OCD but this is getting laughable now.

RIM is changing it's return policies because of OCD's like this.

I can imagine how many devices go back to RIM and the guys there are just rolling their eyes with laughter. 90% of the time they just need to clean the phone, wipe it and re-ship as a re-furb. BECAUSE there is nothing wrong with it!

Aren't you guys embarassed bringing these devices back sometimes for issues like this?
    09-03-11 07:27 PM
    Even though I love RIM products, I have to say you are wrong. Bold 99xx have huge quality control issues. It is NOT normal when RIM did not intentionally made it that way.

I know more iPhone fails over a year of use than Blackberries, BUT less iPhone have hardware defects right out of the box. In other words, if RIM wants to compete with the rest of the world, they should at least control their manufacturing quality. Some phone companies have huge rate of defects compared to others. (Made in Mexico 5) It looks like 7 out of every 10 Telus Bold 9900 sold in BestBuy Western Canada locations are defective. One of my customers today returned the phone argue with Telus rep on the phone for about an hour and went with an iPhone4 because her Telus phone bleeds light from the bottom plate. Same problem I had on my first one. One less customer for RIM.

I returned TWO Telus Bold 9900s... I am on my third one now.

If the following things happens, the phone is defective no matter what BS your service provider and RIM come up with:

1. If the phone surface parts are not smooth (not flush)

2. If the light bleeds out from anywhere around the phone

3. If a key fell off when you take out your phone from the OEM holster

4. If your phone was damaged thanks to RIM's OEM holster

5. If you get double type when you type once

6. When you press on some keys, if they make a different noise than other keys on the keyboard.

7. If your phone is made in any where near Mexico LOL

YOU MY FRIEND ARE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE. WOW! Stick to $99.00 phones. You will never be happy!!!!

Ny the way ... the OEM holster doesn't damage the phone ... USERS DO. This is wear and tear and not a factory defect. Really?

If your phone's alarm is too loud and makes you fall out of bed then it too must be returned as it is a safety hazard!!!

What are we turning into??

Wow!
    Last edited by drfever; 09-03-11 at 07:34 PM.
    09-03-11 07:29 PM
    My unit was made in mexico and I don't have any problems. Everyone needs to chill out about these devices. Just because things aren't flush doesn't mean it is defective.

drfever likes this.
    09-03-11 07:29 PM

1. When you press down it's flush. So what would you prefer .. pressing down and then it's flush or having it flush and when pressing it isn't.

2. He checked other devices in his store and his sales rep's store... most of them had it like this.

3. Are we really now nitpicking over micro millimetres?

There's nothing wrong with the device. It's fine. With use it will probably be the reverse.
    1. Mine is flush when its idle and when depressing the keys. The way it was designed to work.

2. I've seen about 20 devices now. About 50% are correct but the later August builds seem more consistently flush. This is anecdotal on a small sample however.

3. Maybe but the first one I had was actually sharp - it was raised that much. Certainly not useable. Subsequent ones I've seen are not that bad and wouldn't be noticable.
    bobj66 likes this.
    09-03-11 11:41 PM
    [QUOTE=drfever;6644804]

1. Some people are OCD but this is getting laughable now.

2. RIM is changing it's return policies because of OCD's like this.

QUOTE]

1. Depends on the degree of the issue e.g. some of the panels are far too raised and some are not. Minor squeaks etc I would agree likely shouldn't be alarming, depending on the severity. If they squeak like that ridiculous Torch was famous for then it should be returned as it was unbearable.

2. That is very concerning to me that RIM would be changing its return policy where other manufacturers aren't. That tells me that they have more QC problems than the competition and they can't control them...unless you are willing to argue that RIM has more OCD customers than Nokia.

That support what one Rogers exec told me - that the percentage of replacements per units shipped was greater for RIM than their other manufacturers. He wouldn't tell me by how much but the intimation was that it was significant.

RIM is already in a precarious competitive position and a lesson from Ford which was the joke of automobile quality in the 70s might be one RIM wants to study. They too tried to feign indignation with their dealers and customers to the point where they had let it go too far and to get back in the game they eventually had to rebrand to the silly slogan 'quality is job one.'
    bobj66 likes this.
    09-04-11 12:09 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD