I know most of us are patiently (or impateiently) waiting for OS 2.0 to be released.

I'm wondering if this is a potential strategy for RIM. I don't know if it's a stupid, or brilliant idea, but what if the timeline for RIM releasing OS2.0 is in conjunction to Apple announcing the iPad3.

Imagine Apple announces iPad3, and then the following few days while everyone is overhyping what it brings to the table, RIM sh*ts on their party by releasing OS2.0 with native e-mail, bbm, pim, auto-correct, android player. Perhaps even a discount.

Intead of releasing OS2.0 first and then having the iPad3 drown out its momentum, perhaps the best approach is to let Apple do their thing, and one up it. At this stage, most people know the iPad3 is coming and are probably holding off tablet purchases until that announcement. By releasing a more significant upgrade after Apple announces theirs, RIM may be able to turn the tide a bit and steal some of Apple's thunder.

Just a thought.
    09-01-11 10:28 AM
    I would be disappointed if they do.. hardware-wise, the playbook is below ipad 2, let alone ipad 3. I just wish they could just release 2.0 beta already, even if it still has bugs, I know I wouldn't mind a few crash now and then, as long as they keep on working for bugfixes.....
    09-01-11 10:37 AM
    I would be disappointed if they do.. hardware-wise, the playbook is below ipad 2, let alone ipad 3. I just wish they could just release 2.0 beta already, even if it still has bugs, I know I wouldn't mind a few crash now and then, as long as they keep on working for bugfixes.....
    PB hardware below the iPad2?
    You sure about that?
    09-01-11 10:40 AM
    well for starters, the ipad2 gpu is dual core while the playbook gpu is single core
    brucep1 likes this.
    09-01-11 10:48 AM
    I think we will see OS 2.0 late 2011.

No chance Apple releases iPad3 in 2011! Maybe we will see next gen PlayBook with iPad3!?! Thinking many people mixing next gen PlayBook with OS 2.0
    09-01-11 10:49 AM
    I think that would be a very foolish strategy for RIM. Unless they are really pulling a rabbit out of a hat, with something that will just blow eveyrone away, i think anything less will be a non-event compared to ipad3's release. Let alone the fact that Apple will make tremendous strides in software and hardware by then, if all RIm is giving people is email, android player, and cuple of other things then they have no chance.

I think the best strategy for RIM at this point would be to really build up momentum right now by releasing os2 way before ipad 3, get alot of buzz going, remove some of the issues people had in initial reviews, start getting those good reviews, start ramping up the app store, etc so it has the same if not better talking points than apple.

Unfortunately for RIM, they are very late to an already crowded party. Look at their new block of phones. they are gorgeous, amazing, useful, and like that article earlier said, if they were operating in a vacuum or first to market with these, they would be hot selling items. unfortunately they are subjected to comparisons and critique where people are in fact comparing them to other devices. and they pale in that comparison (not to you guys ofcourse, who know what they want in their device, but i'm talking about reviewers, biased or otherwise, and the perception that leaves for normal people). I'm sure everyone here is very happy with their PB, but for RIm to sell boatloads of these to the non techy crowds, they have to impress the average consumer who doesn't do his or her own research, who goes on word of mouth, marketing, what their other friends have, what articles and reviews are saying, etc. And RIM in that regard ahs alot of catching up to do.

I know most of us are patiently (or impateiently) waiting for OS 2.0 to be released.

I'm wondering if this is a potential strategy for RIM. I don't know if it's a stupid, or brilliant idea, but what if the timeline for RIM releasing OS2.0 is in conjunction to Apple announcing the iPad3.

Imagine Apple announces iPad3, and then the following few days while everyone is overhyping what it brings to the table, RIM sh*ts on their party by releasing OS2.0 with native e-mail, bbm, pim, auto-correct, android player. Perhaps even a discount.

Intead of releasing OS2.0 first and then having the iPad3 drown out its momentum, perhaps the best approach is to let Apple do their thing, and one up it. At this stage, most people know the iPad3 is coming and are probably holding off tablet purchases until that announcement. By releasing a more significant upgrade after Apple announces theirs, RIM may be able to turn the tide a bit and steal some of Apple's thunder.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by zank; 09-01-11 at 10:58 AM.
    09-01-11 10:55 AM
    I think we will see OS 2.0 late 2011.

No chance Apple releases iPad3 in 2011! Maybe we will see next gen PlayBook with iPad3!?! Thinking many people mixing next gen PlayBook with OS 2.0
    that's true, ipad 2 was launched only recently..... They say the QNX OS has scalability feature of some sorts, allowing it to work in multi-core environment without much change in the code, so I hope playbok 2 would have quad cores cpu and dual core gpu, just to gloat to those apple fanboys
    09-01-11 10:56 AM
    Profit is the name of the game. PB's and RIM bring very little revenue compared to iPad's and Apple. If you were a 'partial' reviewer, which would you say is great?

PB's will always be compared to iPad's and come down loser. This will be true EVEN if there are critical benefits to the PB, they will be review down-graded. Case in point, the BB9900 was almost universally reviewed as a fabulous phone. That being said, the reviewers always gave a stab to other RIM negatives. Either the phone was 'good' or 'not good', that was the issue, NOT!

Also, why does Apple ALWAYS have to hardware upgrade from iPad'0", iPad'1", iPad'2" ... iPad'99"? IMO, the solid PB hardware will long last the growing list of upgrade iPad'numbers'
    Last edited by mandony; 09-01-11 at 11:03 AM.
    09-01-11 10:59 AM
    I hope not! If the dang OS2 is ready the worst thing they can do is hold off on it for some special date or event. I don't know why RIM doesn't see that the longer the delay the more people bash it/them and the more people that will buy something else.

The clock is ticking and even die hard bb/RIM fans are saying if it takes too much longer they are giving up on it/them.
    09-01-11 10:59 AM
    That would be a really poor strategy. RIM needs to do what's best for them and (hopefully) roll out the relaunch as soon as possible, not wait to time in accordance with Apple's schedule.
    09-01-11 11:05 AM
    I hope not! If the dang OS2 is ready the worst thing they can do is hold off on it for some special date ....
    I agree. However, if the first OS2 release is terrible then the dominoes will fall. If is better for RIM to wait a bit for a top notch release. IMO, that is the reason RIM is calling the OS not 1.xx, but rather 2.xx
    09-01-11 11:09 AM
    I agree. However, if the first OS2 release is terrible then the dominoes will fall. If is better for RIM to wait a bit for a top notch release. IMO, that is the reason RIM is calling the OS not 1.xx, but rather 2.xx
    I agree if it isn't ready. If it is ready and they are holding on to it for devcon then I say fail. Release the hounds before they get away and it's too late.
    09-01-11 11:20 AM
    Hoping it comes prior to iPad3, whenever that will be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 11:28 AM
    Makes no difference when RIM launches OS 2.0 or relaunches the PlayBook because at the end Apple will get all the attention this Fall.
    09-01-11 11:33 AM
    I'm wondering if this is a potential strategy for RIM. I don't know if it's a stupid, or brilliant idea, but what if the timeline for RIM releasing OS2.0 is in conjunction to Apple announcing the iPad3......
    Just a thought.
    Yes. RIM should release it with iPad3 or even later.
    Playbook already blew out iPad2 out of the water with its superb operating system QNX and playbook hardware. (who needs apps and PIM etc when you have www and flash and also flash games that remind you of good old days)

Now. pb os 2.0 should be good enough to destroy whatever iOS Apple comes up with for ipad3. There is no point in releasing os2 early. That only gives the naysayers more time to complain.

Infact RIM should wait till the holiday season or maybe christmas when the ipad 3 hype has settled and people rush the lines to get their hands on the playbook with os 2.0.
    LWJoubert and M.Rizk like this.
    09-01-11 11:34 AM
    well for starters, the ipad2 gpu is dual core while the playbook gpu is single core
    boy u dont know what your talking about.. but whats the purpose of having a car that can go 300mile per hour if the speed limit is 50mph... the ipad is a app player.. all it can do is play apps and surf mobile internet.... ipad 3 will be no different ..
    09-01-11 11:35 AM
    boy u dont know what your talking about.. but whats the purpose of having a car that can go 300mile per hour if the speed limit is 50mph... the ipad is a app player.. all it can do is play apps and surf mobile internet.... ipad 3 will be no different ..
    This is exactly RIM's mentally.

I can't drive over 150km up here without having my *** handed to me but I would love to have a 2012 Nissan GT-R!
    brucep1 and marksasongko like this.
    09-01-11 11:46 AM
    It's looking like the iPad 3 won't be out till around June of 2012. Do any of you PB owners really want to wait till then for all the Rim promises to come through? They need to get 2.0 out ASAP and stand on their own 2 feet. Get it done while there is NO attention on Apple.
    09-01-11 12:01 PM

Just a thought.

I think this would be pointless. For starters, don't expect an iPad 3 until next spring (there are multiple supplier leaks pointing to that). And then why would RIM want to release their first complete tablet OS and act like that's a big deal? All they are mainly doing with 2.0 is fulfilling the potential that is missing in 1.0. Version 2.0 will be catching up to typical OS features (e-mail, cal, SDK, apps, etc). You don't try to show up the iPad by merely catching up with an OS running on old hardware. RIM needs to think about leapfrogging the iPad, but so far all I can see is that they haven't really completed an honest full-featured 1.0 yet. That is a hard position to leapfrog from.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Apple is typically mum on features, and then introduces some pretty solid upgrades that surprise competitors. Think about all the tablets that were coming out in the spring that were aiming to beat the iPad 1. Everybody was talking about the Snapdragon, OMAP, etc... silicon that was going to beat the iPad, and they were all trying to equal or beat it on size and battery. And then Apple introduce the iPad 2 with the killer dual core A5, and a dual core GPU that remains unequaled in tablets to this day. And the iPad 2 was wafer thin, with even better battery life. All of a sudden, the competitors weren't so hot anymore. Samsung openly admitted they were going back to the drawing board.

I think you're falling into this same trap, thinking about how to beat the present day Apple. To really succeed, you need to think about how to beat the future Apple. Bigger jumps are needed. BB Tablet OS 2.0 probably won't be one of those jumps, and by then the PlayBook hardware will be dated.

Hopefully RIM's product planners and designers are thinking about how to really leapfrog the iPad and truly do something different and unique. They need to out-innovate Apple rather than try to keep up or match Apple. That's their only chance to really get ahead.
    Last edited by dfg912; 09-01-11 at 12:07 PM.
    09-01-11 12:04 PM
    RIM has a long way to go, am here in Uganda n lucky enough to have a playbook, when my friends see it for the first time, they say, "So thats like an iPad?"

09-01-11 01:06 PM
    iPad 3 is not only the "competitors"... in fact, like boxing, iPad 2 or even 3 falls on different categories... there might be some contenders that will be in the range of PlayBook... this is the thing that RIM should be focusing more...
    09-01-11 01:15 PM
    First, unless RIM does something earth-shattering, and I mean WAY out there, like purchasing a nuclear weapon or something, they will NEVER steal the spotlight from Apple. OS 2.0 could include a revolutionary text input method that reads the electrical impulses sent to and from the human brain and automatically types what you're thinking, and people would still be camped out for days waiting for an iPad 3 (and when the first OS update came that added the same functionality to the iPad, it would be praised for its innovation like it's never happened before). That's the way the consumer electronics field is right now, and both RIM and Google have a long way to go to change that.

Also, it would really completely defeat the purpose of the original PlayBook launch. The idea was to get the thing to market before the competition could stack the deck against them so high that it would be impossible to overcome. Sitting on a completed product doesn't make you any money, selling it does. If this update is good enough to sell hardware, then it's gotta be released as soon as it's done.
    FF22 and bembol like this.
    09-01-11 01:19 PM
    I really don't understand why some of you think the Playbook is SO far ahead of everyone from a hardware point of view? It is very much on par with all competition. The only thing it really beats them at is Video Recording quality. It has some of the best camera's in a tablet comparatively.

The OS is what makes the PB great. The iPad3 will make the PB look kind of dated and then the Playbook 2 will be beefed up beyond the current PB.

Tablets are going Quad core. While this is a great unit, like with all tech devices, it was dated the day it was released.

- A Playbook lover.

09-01-11 01:24 PM
    No matter how we agree that QNX is the best OS in tablet, "usability" is still the number one factor in gauging OS i.e no matter how excellent our PlayBook OS is, if it can only perform stuffs that even a low grade OS can do, it'll be the same.

RIM should unleash the true power of QNX. But until that time comes, we stick on one remaining advantage of PlayBook which is the hardware. Although, it seems that this is no longer be true.
    09-01-11 01:55 PM
    This is exactly RIM's mentally.

I can't drive over 150km up here without having my *** handed to me but I would love to have a 2012 Nissan GT-R!
    yep, that pretty much sums it....
    09-01-11 01:59 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD