Went to both BB and BB Mobile yesterday and asked for the new Torch on Sprint. Both places told me the new Torch is only available on ATT. I had to educate them on the different Torches.

I don't know why they didn't give this phone its own name. It is clearly going to be confusing for undereducated phone reps and typical phone buyers.
    Last edited by netviper; 09-01-11 at 09:32 AM.
    09-01-11 09:28 AM
    Went to both BB and BB Mobile yesterday and asked for the new Torch on Sprint. Both places told me the new Torch is only available on ATT.

I don't know why they didn't give this phone its own name. It is clearly going to be confusing for undereducated phone reps and typical phone buyers.
    Call it the Torch Touch to help clear up misunderstanding. Besides Torch is a lot better than calling it a Storm (with all its negative history).
    09-01-11 09:32 AM
    Call it the Torch Touch to help clear up misunderstanding. Besides Torch is a lot better than calling it a Storm (with all its negative history).
    yeah, never should have called it Storm... but just the TOUCH would have made sense.
    09-01-11 09:33 AM
    You cannot blame RIM because the carriers choose to hire idiots and not provide them with proper training.

Just ask for a 9860/50 instead?
    09-01-11 09:33 AM
    Agreed 100%. This was stupid to have two different form factors with the same moniker, although different numbers. Its like Chevrolet calling a pickup a Corvette 9850 because it has a steering wheel and pedals.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 09:40 AM
    yeah, never should have called it Storm... but just the TOUCH would have made sense.
    +1 for Touch. RIM knew better than to continue with "Storm"
    09-01-11 09:44 AM
    I agree. The torch is recognized as the slider model. I also agree that Storm holds too much baggage, but there are more than just 2 words in the english language. Why not name it the Blackberry Blaze ( or better yet the Bla1ze!)
    ChrisInSD likes this.
    09-01-11 09:46 AM
    I agree, they could have called it BlackBerry Touch, or maybe they are saving that name for the QNX phone.

But it should have been Torch Touch or something with touch in it. Average consumer doesn't go by the model numbers. I was surprised when I was out yesterday and people asked "is that the 9900".
    09-01-11 09:54 AM
    Torch is as big as a failure as Storm IMO and they should have named it Touch as stated above! That name would suit it perfectly!

Torch = Wobbly Slider, crappy keyboard, definitely has nothing to do with the 9860
    09-01-11 09:59 AM
    I have to agree. Although it takes nothing away from the actual phone. Still looking forward to getting my hands on it.
    09-01-11 10:06 AM
    Torch is as big as a failure as Storm IMO and they should have named it Touch as stated above! That name would suit it perfectly!

Torch = Wobbly Slider, crappy keyboard, definitely has nothing to do with the 9860

Most people I talk to really like their Torch, but not many like their Storms at all including me. It was also one of AT&T's best sellers if I remember correctly. I would guess it would have been much more successful if it wasn't an ATT exclusive. That is why I am so happy the 9850/60 will be on all major carriers.
    09-01-11 10:17 AM
    The problem is all these sales people are idiots. I went into a vzw corporate store asking about the 9850 and wanting a BB all touch device. They were like we have the new bold which has a touch screen on it...
    09-01-11 10:32 AM
    You cannot blame RIM because the carriers choose to hire idiots and not provide them with proper training.

If you ask for the 9850/60 they 'correct' you with the 9810
    LewLew23 likes this.
    09-01-11 10:38 AM
    ROFLMAO! These people should be fired seriously
    09-01-11 11:08 AM

Agreed. BBs should just go by numbers: BB ####
    bbhybridchris likes this.
    09-01-11 01:26 PM
    Should have called it the "Volt", which was its rumoured production name for a time. Maybe they felt it would have been to similar to "Colt" which is the rumoured name for the QNX phone?

Anyways I prefer calling the phones by their model number.
    09-01-11 01:39 PM
    Still should have been called a Storm. Sharing the name with the Torch slider line was a bad idea which creates confusion.
    09-01-11 02:23 PM
    This happened to me last night at AT&T. Then I said it's a full touchscreen and he said "Ohhhhhhh never heard of it"
    09-01-11 02:32 PM

Evidently, guy who joined CB yesterday, you haven't even tried the 9810. No wobbles like the 9800. Better keyboard. Larger screen and better camera than your 9900. (And the screen is glass!)
    09-01-11 04:29 PM
    I think they should have named it the BlackBerry Flame. It's the active part of the Torch, without the holder (keyboard)...
    09-02-11 02:51 PM

Unfortunately that isn't ***** proof either.

My local VzW store manager, after telling me that the Torch was NOT coming to Verizon to the best of his knowledge, said "Oh, but we ARE carrying the Bold 9850."

Yep. You read that right. No typo.

Rim really, really should have come up with a whole new name. The confusion this will generate is already predictable. If rim wanted to dump "Storm", then they should have still come up with something else.... "Volt" would even have been better than "Torch". Rim's solution was to retroactively rename the AT&T exclusive version of the Torch to the "Torch Slider". When has anybody ever retoractively renamed something? I just don't get it.

But, the good news is we only have to put up with this nonsense for a year or so.... as the qnx phones will be out and all these phones will be boat anchors by then.
    09-02-11 07:18 PM
    The storm was a horrible brand my friend and it devastated their reputation they really did need a name change.With all luck they will eliminate all series except the Bold, Torch ( full touchscreen), and the curve and just continue to develop those brand's
    09-02-11 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD