The 9860 just got released in Dubai for USD 544 while the 9900 got released on the 18th of August and is still selling @ 707 USD (retail price)

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't that 9860 be more expensive since it has an Autofocus camera and a bigger screen?

Don't get me wrong, I love my 9900 and cannot deal with a touch keyboard, but I am just surprised as to how RIM Marketing / pricing works.

IMHO, the 9860 is a tad higher specced than the 9900 due to the Autofocus camera

Price is AED 1,999 or USD 544. It comes with FREE 6 months Unlimited BlackBerry Internet Service from Du available at any AXIOM TELECOM Store or Du (Unlocked units with no carrier logos) while the 9900 doesn't come with any free BlackBerry Service
    09-01-11 05:34 AM
    There is more plastic in there....hence the price, i think. Having auto focus = should not be expensive. 9900 doesn't have it due to the thinness RIM tried to achieve according to forum discussions.

If they price this equal to ip4, consumer will sway towards ip4.
    09-01-11 05:42 AM
    i think that RIM took some of our requests into play here.

years ago I wanted the 9000 form factor to stay, then the 9700 took it over. Lots of people wanted the lighted trackpad button, and a metal exterior finish, and a touch screen with a keyboard. it took years but its here. This is what the BOLD should have been originally.

This version should have focused more on the internal specs...
    Multi-touch screen, dual/multi core processor, HD camera, graphics, resolution...

Build the hardware and work on the OS, Not the other way around. I feel that is what RIM does. they make a few break throughs on the OS's and build hardware to meet that break through.
    09-01-11 06:23 AM
    It's probably because the Bold is the flagship 'getting things done' phone, with business in mind. A different target audience than the Torch 9860. The Bold also has by far the most refined design with the nicest materials used.
    09-01-11 08:47 AM
    Do you see the keyboard on the 9900.

Yeah, its worth around 100 dollars to some.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 08:48 AM
    You can get a great touchscreen device anywhere on any OS. A BB keyboard... that's unique. Thus the premium.
    09-01-11 09:37 AM
    Now it makes sense, thanks for the replies guys.
    09-01-11 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD