Where do I begin...

I will try and keep this as short as possible without skimping on the important details on what was, by far, the worst customer service experience I have ever has the torment of going through...

I purchased a new 9860 from Best buy Mobile yesterday, merely an hour after they got stock in the store. Everything looked great with the phone, unfortunately, it wasn't two hours later when I discovered what looked like a water smudge under the glass. It would move and distort the screen as I pushed on it, so I decided I would visit the store once I was finished work.

Later that day, I went down to Best Buy Mobile to ask if the problem I was having was normal with all of their phones. The Best Buy Employee grabbed my phone and started to push on the glass, and his evaluation of the situation was that I must have dropped the phone.

Now I understand accidents happen, and sometimes people are clumsy with their new gadgets, but I am not one of those people. I promptly explained to him that the phone was like that shortly after I left the store. He grunted like the pig he resembled and proceeded to call another individual on the phone; possible the manager, but most likely just a dial tone.

While pacing back and forth in front of me, he began to describe the issue to his 'manager'.

The conversation went something like this: "Hey, yeah, some guy was in here earlier today and bought a Blackberry touch. You know when you push on the screen too hard and it makes that funny colour underneath? Yeah that's pressure damage isn't it? Ok, Thanks."

He then turned to me and stated that there was nothing they could do for me as they don't replace phones broken by their owners.

At this point I was irate, but still trying to stay calm, I explained to him how it was in the box like that and I didn't notice until I was already back at work.

His response? "We don't sell broken phones"...

Lovely.

After some very intense back and fourth, going nowhere, I asked him if he could open another one to show me if the screen was the same way. He went to go grab another one, opened the box, flashed the unit at me, and said, "There, are you satisfied? not broken, we don't sell broken phones."

Case closed.

I forced myself to leave the store, and here I am, sitting at my desk with a $550 defective 9860. This is far from over, I am meeting with the manager today, and I also have the name of the district manager to discuss the future of his ignorant, pompous employee!

(EDIT: - I uploaded a few photos down below for those who would like to see what I am talking about.)
    Last edited by feldmen01; 08-31-11 at 12:15 PM. Reason: photos
    StaticFX and dcburke789 like this.
    08-31-11 09:50 AM
    Everybody in AND around that place would know I was pissed.

I manage a retail store and customer service comes FIRST...they aren't happy? They go somewhere else...and THAT is unaccpetable.

And it's not like defective units come outta pigly wiggly's pocket anyway...

I woulda left and came back with a can of gasoline and a book of matches
    08-31-11 10:01 AM
    Haha,

Trust me, I was steaming out of my ears. If my Girlfriend wasn't there to calm me down, I would have done something nasty to this man.

That's exactly right, the money is not his to lose, and defects happen, whether or not he wants to believe it.
    08-31-11 10:08 AM
    Did you try and contact Best Buy on a corporate level?

I don't personally believe he talked to anyone on the phone (except to call Pappa John's and order lunch) because any manager with any business sense knows...you can't give away the store... (meaning that even if the $550 loss DID come out of my pocket, it would be worth it in the long run to get a repeat customer and positive word of mouth)

A satisfied customer is the best advertising there is
    feldmen01, LewLew23 and StaticFX like this.
    08-31-11 10:14 AM
    I would certainly pursue this... but, like dcburke... there would not be one customer or employee in that store that wouldnt know I was PISSED. Sorry, i would have NEVER left the store without a new phone in my hand. UNREAL!
    feldmen01 likes this.
    08-31-11 10:18 AM
    Even IF there was nothing they could do (and I doubt that is the case), there was a professional way to handle it. He chose the non-professional route and should be grilled over hot coals for it, IMHO.

I worked in retail for 15 years. Lack of professionalism makes me hostile.
    feldmen01 likes this.
    08-31-11 10:20 AM
    If the manager and the district manager are both unwilling to help me on this issue, I will be contacting Best Buy Corporation. I will not give up on this, especially since I know there is absolutely no way I damaged this phone.

I believe I let a few f-bombs slip in my anger, for the sake of the children, I exited the store. Plus the mall was closing.

I will post an update this afternoon once I speak with the manager.
    08-31-11 10:22 AM
    You def need to go back and ask for the store manager. Even if you were pissed, you should have done it before you left. This is sad though, I just upgraded to the Bold and had a very nice experience (much smoother and quicker than a Verizon corporate store).
    feldmen01 likes this.
    08-31-11 10:28 AM
    I miss Circuit City... NEVER had ONE issue with them. I had returned MANY items over the years without one hassle, and their Mobile phone department was better to deal with than VERIZON!! lol

GOOD LUCK!!!
    feldmen01 likes this.
    08-31-11 10:41 AM
    You def need to go back and ask for the store manager. Even if you were pissed, you should have done it before you left. This is sad though, I just upgraded to the Bold and had a very nice experience (much smoother and quicker than a Verizon corporate store).
    Yeah, I asked for the manager, all the pig gave me was his first name and to come back today. So that's exactly what I'm going to do
    08-31-11 10:54 AM
    These employees couild care less if you are pissed. They have seen it many times and it does not phase them any more. Threaten them and they will call the police. They can claim what they want as can you.
    feldmen01 likes this.
    08-31-11 11:45 AM
    I miss Circuit City...
    amen to that.

The next best thing in my area to buy electronics is probably ABC Warehouse or Radio Shack.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 08-31-11 at 11:58 AM.
    08-31-11 11:55 AM
    That is why I hope to order a new 9850 online so that I do not have to deal with any smug store employees, or the VZW peeps trying to convert me to a DROID clone.
    08-31-11 12:06 PM
    for those if you who are interested in seeing the defect i am talking about, take a look at these photos. sorry about the quality. look at the center of the screen. the mark is somewhat visible but these pictures don't do it justice.
    08-31-11 12:13 PM
    I agree... that should NOT be on a new screen. Hope you get it resolved soon.
    08-31-11 01:03 PM
    I am sorry to here about your experience with Best Buy mobile. Where was the location? I shop there for all of my phones due to the black tie protection. The only time I had a problem with a service rep the manager stepped in and told him that was twice in 1 week and fired him 20 minutes later. I would take this up with the district manager. Good Luck with your endeavor.
    08-31-11 01:17 PM
    The location was at Chinook Centre Mall in Calgary, Alberta. I just had a sit down with the Manager about half an hour ago to discuss his arrogant employee. Fortunately, I got a replacement phone from him, unfortunately, all he could say about his employee is that they're trained to expect the worst and if they have the slightest doubt, not to do anything...

Great policy! If that was my store, I would fire him so fast!
    dcburke789, LewLew23 and StaticFX like this.
    08-31-11 01:43 PM
    The location was at Chinook Centre Mall in Calgary, Alberta. I just had a sit down with the Manager about half an hour ago to discuss his arrogant employee. Fortunately, I got a replacement phone from him, unfortunately, all he could say about his employee is that they're trained to expect the worst and if they have the slightest doubt, not to do anything...

Great policy! If that was my store, I would fire him so fast!

Good deal! Glad you got your replacement.

I guess they never heard that "the customer is always RIGHT" smh
    08-31-11 10:01 PM
    I love happy endings!

Glad you got your defective phone replaced.
    09-01-11 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD