Can you use BBM in the US (if you're with Rogers based in the GTA) for free or will that count as roaming? What about Canada-wide?

I'm guessing I should turn off my Mobile Network to make sure I don't get any roaming fees right?

Thanks
    08-30-11 10:20 PM
    Yes Rogers charges roaming at $0.006 per kb so it is very little. BBM is the cheapest way to communicate when traveling to the US. Each bbm sent is about 1k in size so it will take a lot of bbm's to rack up a big bill. Also to keep costs down try and connect to a wifi hot spot at your place of stay. Then you can use bbm all you want for free. For example I was in the states for 3 day and rec'd emails and used bbm quite a bit and my total roaming was 600k which worked out to a roaming fee of just over $3. Lol. Just stay away from sending and receiving pictures on bbm while roaming. If you need to send pics via bbm just wait until you are in a wifi hotspot.

...and if your traveling in Canada there is no roaming fees so bbm is free.
    Last edited by steviebigv; 11-16-11 at 12:56 PM.
    08-30-11 10:54 PM
    Yes Rogers charges roaming at $0.006 per megabite so it is very little. BBM is the cheapest way to communicate when traveling to the US. Each bbm sent is about 1k in size so it will take a lot of bbm's to rack up a big bill. Also to keep costs down try and connect to a wifi hot spot at your place of stay. Then you can use bbm all you want for free. For example I was in the states for 3 day and rec'd emails and used bbm quite a bit and my total roaming was 600k which worked out to a roaming fee of just over $3. Lol. Just stay away from sending and receiving pictures on bbm while roaming. If you need to send pics via bbm just wait until you are in a wifi hotspot.

...and if your traveling in Canada there is no roaming fees so bbm is free.
    I think it's 0.006$ per KB, not MB.
    Not 100% sure though.
    08-31-11 02:46 PM
    I think it's $3 / MB ... Here more info on data roaming

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad...FQNrKgodYwNCDA

Stevie is right.. bbm barely uses any data ...
    08-31-11 02:55 PM

Stevie is right.. bbm barely uses any data ...
    This is true BUT

Where you can and will get burned is that to have BBM work you must leave data on when roaming.

So if you have any apps installed that are constantly uploading/downloading data or updating information you will get hammered on data roaming charges.

Be Careful!
    08-31-11 04:09 PM
    How can I set BBM to only work over wifi?
    08-31-11 08:57 PM
    Unfortunately you cannot as it runs on the rim server and has to be connected to the network data.

Underdogz you are totally right. They should have a bbm only option in roaming options.
    08-31-11 09:01 PM
    You can use BBM over wifi as we have taken our BB's to mexico, and simply used WiFi and it worked.
    08-31-11 10:46 PM
    How do I make sure I won't incur any roaming fees though?
    09-01-11 04:47 PM
    How do I make sure I won't incur any roaming fees though?
    The only way to "Guarantee" that there will be no data roaming charges is to make sure sure you phone is set to " Data Off when Roaming".

Unfortunately the minute your device goes into roaming mode your BBM will be disabled as will any apps that have network access. You will not be able to send or receive e mails either. You can still text message but fees will apply.

If you are able to connect to a wifi location, then BBM will work again, email and your apps will update.

You can buy a "Roaming Package" from Rogers depending on your needs.

Or you can (if you have an unlocked device) buy a prepaid sim card from a US provider, Slip that into your BB.

Just be careful. There are enough "Horror Stories" of people incurring insane charges with smart phones while travelling.
    09-02-11 08:12 AM
    Thanks for the help/suggestions guys
    09-02-11 08:37 AM
    We were just in the US for a week down in Myrtle Beach and I got one of those US Data Roaming packages for a week. You can purchase in different amounts for different lengths (24hr pass or a week long pass). It's good if you want to be able to email, surf, bbm etc... and not risk getting dinged by the various carriers in the US. Check your data usage history to get an idea of how much you'll need to purchase.

Voice and data are treated separately, so if you want to make calls, you'll need a separate voice roaming package unless you're already covered for US based calls with your current plan. Also, check your SMS package to see if you'll get dinged for sending texts while in the US.

More info here: Redirect to the right page
    09-02-11 09:45 AM
    The only way to "Guarantee" that there will be no data roaming charges is to make sure sure you phone is set to " Data Off when Roaming".

Unfortunately the minute your device goes into roaming mode your BBM will be disabled as will any apps that have network access. You will not be able to send or receive e mails either. You can still text message but fees will apply.

If you are able to connect to a wifi location, then BBM will work again, email and your apps will update.

You can buy a "Roaming Package" from Rogers depending on your needs.

Or you can (if you have an unlocked device) buy a prepaid sim card from a US provider, Slip that into your BB.

Just be careful. There are enough "Horror Stories" of people incurring insane charges with smart phones while travelling.
    STOP!!

Your BBM and your other Apps do not turn off!
    how often do you leave Canada?
    because nothing of mine turns off if I set Data to be off when roaming, I can BBM all day in the hotel and conference centre over wifi.

IF you are going to the US, you can set all your app permissions to not connect to only use wifi, if they don't give you the option feel free to uninstall them before you go.

you can buy a Prepaid data package before going to the US, in my experience with Weather app and BBM I use 2MB/day average keeping myself off the browser and other data tasks.
    09-02-11 02:50 PM

STOP!!

Your BBM and your other Apps do not turn off!
    how often do you leave Canada?

Travel to USA on a regular basis, and to Europe. My BB is set to "Data off when roaming"

Everything shuts off (or goes dormant) that requires a data connect including BBM as soon as I leave Rogers coverage.

Google Maps, Bloomberg Mobile, Worldmate, BB Travel, Weather Network etc all will not update and if I try to access them I get notification that that these apps require a data connection to function.

So these are definitely off.

My BBM will NOT work in USA or Europe when the phone is in "Data Off when Roaming" mode.

I just spent 4 weeks in Europe in July and did not pay 1 cent in data roaming charges on my Rogers Torch. So these apps are 100% off.
    Last edited by Underdogz; 09-02-11 at 06:42 PM.
    09-02-11 06:40 PM
    Just get your Blackberry unlocked and use it with a pre-paid SIM card from T-Mobile with data.
    09-11-11 09:56 AM
    Just get your Blackberry unlocked and use it with a pre-paid SIM card from T-Mobile with data.
    Exactly what I do ..............
    09-13-11 01:52 PM
    I've been able to BBM over wifi with data set to off while roaming without issue. I've even turned off mobile network completely and still been able to bbm over wifi (best way to be 100% sure not getting carrier data charges)
    09-16-11 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD