My father went to costco and futureshop today looking to buy my mom a playbook for her birthday. When he tried to buy one he was informed that they didn't have any because they have been recalled due to the playbook 2 soon to be released. Did i miss a discussion? I thought this was just a software update. I'm assuming some employees got some bad info but doesnt look good for RIM to do a recall on a new product. Just looking for clarification. thanks

UPDATE
    I have purchased a 32gb for her birthday. they had two remaining at costco($589 plus a car charger). I was still told that a playbook 2 was coming but i told her I'd take my chances. they need to better inform these sales people.
    Last edited by QueXiaQuanton; 08-31-11 at 05:19 PM.
    08-30-11 02:34 PM
    hmmm, there was a plenty of Playbook today at BestBuy at St Bruno..
    08-30-11 02:39 PM
    Go back in that shop and pimp smack whoever said that ..
    drjay868, Revord, LewLew23 and 6 others like this.
    08-30-11 02:41 PM
    there was only 900 that was recalled...other then that...to my best knowledge, that was it. i say go back to the store like "kolonji" said and jump kick him for saying stupid stuff.
    QueXiaQuanton likes this.
    08-30-11 02:43 PM
    there was only 900 that was recalled...other then that...to my best knowledge, that was it. i say go back to the store like "kolonji" said and jump kick him for saying stupid stuff.
    That 900 that were recalled were the 16gb ones at Staples.
    08-30-11 02:58 PM
    Yeah, I think someone wasn't looking closely enough at the OS 2.0 info they may have seen.
    08-30-11 03:09 PM
    gg costco, cost RIM more sales due to your stupidity.
    08-30-11 03:20 PM
    Recall may have been a misnomer here. Manufacturers can sometimes buy-back stock shipped to retailers if they think its worth the cost to do so. They might do this for a recall, but they might also do this to reload software and change the product packaging. This would be an easy mistake for a sales employee to make.
    08-30-11 03:29 PM
    From Futureshop there is no recall, I've been working there for years and there is a system to tell employees about current issues, and the playbook as far as I know is doing fine. As far as the sales guy at costco he must have been an *****, and i'm sure your dad wouldn't have got that response from a sales guy at futureshop, if we get a chance for a sale we take it.
    Last edited by jmurph66; 08-31-11 at 02:46 PM.
    08-30-11 04:14 PM
    From Futureshop there is now recall, I've been working there for years and there is a system to tell employees about current issues, and the playbook as far as I know is doing fine. As far as the sales guy at costco he must have been an *****, and i'm sure your dad wouldn't have got that response from a sales guy at futureshop, if we get a chance for a sale we take it.
    I bought my PB at Futureshop and I usually buy my stuff there. They had a good display and both units worked
    08-30-11 04:21 PM
    i bought mine about a week ago from future shop and there was nothing about that
    08-30-11 04:36 PM
    go back and ***** slap who ever told you that.I bet he is an I phone freek .
    08-30-11 04:42 PM
    From Futureshop there is now recall, I've been working there for years and there is a system to tell employees about current issues, and the playbook as far as I know is doing fine. As far as the sales guy at costco he must have been an *****, and i'm sure your dad wouldn't have got that response from a sales guy at futureshop, if we get a chance for a sale we take it.
    You might want to edit "now" to "no" I think, if that is what you meant.
    jmurph66 likes this.
    08-30-11 07:21 PM
    To add to this discussion, Costco doesn't sell the PB at all.
    08-30-11 09:54 PM
    To add to this discussion, Costco doesn't sell the PB at all.
    In Canada they do. More so the wireless wave kiosk in costco

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 10:10 PM
    My Costco does (through a kiosk)
    08-31-11 12:18 PM
    I bet the Costco guy thought you were asking for the touchpad, it completely disappeared the day HP announced it was done with it and it has not returned since. At least that's the case at my local Costco.
    08-31-11 01:28 PM
    Are we sure that Costco is in the wrong? Sprint seemed to pull back in selling the Playbook too.

There can be a new version coming out. With the 2.0 update. We'll just have to wait and see.
    08-31-11 01:46 PM
    I wonder if this gossip will explode and end up as a article on BGR?
    I swear, the amount of biased ignorance and incompetence demonstrated at various retailers since the Playbooks release, makes me wish I could get people fired.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-31-11 03:26 PM
    I wonder if this gossip will explode and end up as a article on BGR?
    I swear, the amount of biased ignorance and incompetence demonstrated at various retailers since the Playbooks release, makes me wish I could get people fired.
    The anger on this thread is interesting. Pathetic is another word that comes to mind. The suggestions that the OP go back and assault the sales rep, even more pathetic.

I am betting the sales rep is a guy under 30 who probably does not own or care for Playbook and gets it mixed up with Galaxy Tab, Xoom, and Touchpad. So he made a mistake about the Playbook. So what? Remember, this a product most people really have not heard of, especially compared to the iPad or the Xoom or the Touchpad.

People just have to accept that this is not something people think about or see everyday, and even others on this forum have openly wondered about Playbook recalls.

Best just to deal with it and accept that getting angry just reflects poorly on you.
    08-31-11 11:58 PM
    The anger on this thread is interesting. Pathetic is another word that comes to mind. The suggestions that the OP go back and assault the sales rep, even more pathetic.

I am betting the sales rep is a guy under 30 who probably does not own or care for Playbook and gets it mixed up with Galaxy Tab, Xoom, and Touchpad. So he made a mistake about the Playbook. So what? Remember, this a product most people really have not heard of, especially compared to the iPad or the Xoom or the Touchpad.

People just have to accept that this is not something people think about or see everyday, and even others on this forum have openly wondered about Playbook recalls.

Best just to deal with it and accept that getting angry just reflects poorly on you.
    Ask to talk to his supervisor.
    I don't care how old the guy is. We're not talking about the average Joe on the street. He's getting paid to do a job and he knows nothing about the product. Anyone selling tablets should know the difference between the iPad/xoom/PlayBook. What the **** are they paying him for? Kids these days think they can just show up and get paid. Put some ******* effort into it.
    09-01-11 02:35 AM
    It seems next week OS 2.0 update is coming.
    09-01-11 07:05 AM
    It seems next week OS 2.0 update is coming.
    What makes you think that? Most of us are under the assumption it's being planned around DevCon in October
    09-01-11 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD