Well this sucks. I took my bold out to wipe off the screen and noticed these faint "stitch-like" lines that was in the shape of the holster. Low and behold, wiping them away did nothing. When looking closer, the inside of the holster has stitching that is constantly rubbing against the screen. It has now permanently damaged my screen. I am really annoyed. Wth...
    08-29-11 06:41 PM
    Wow. I am even more annoyed. When the screen is completely wiped clean, it's VERY apparent.
    08-29-11 06:43 PM
    Two words.

Screen protector.
    damule6666 and forsakenwaste5 like this.
    08-29-11 07:02 PM
    That's the FIRST thing to do when you get an expensive smartphone!

I put a screen protector on even before putting my SIM card in for the first time!
    Or

Get an insurance
    artie and mlengel81 like this.
    08-29-11 07:07 PM
    Yeah I was planning on it and I still am but I still think that's BS. The holster shouldn't cause damage to the phone! I screen protect my phones from things like contact with keys, etc or drops. This thing has been babied since day 1.

And I have insurance which I don't think I need to use since it's less than a week old.

So...don't use the included holster without a screen protector
    shupor, TorchM5, robby001 and 1 others like this.
    08-29-11 07:13 PM
    That sucks. Screen protector time. Honestly it really should not happen with the oem case that comes with it. Thats kind of nuts.
    08-29-11 07:55 PM
    sorry to hear, thank sucks. Put a screen protect on it, it'll cover up the marks, you won't even see them.
    08-29-11 08:09 PM
    Don't screen protectors prevent your finger from sliding across the screen like it was meant to?
    08-29-11 08:24 PM
    i don't like the included holster either...it fits too tight...i ended up using my bold 9650's holster since it has the elastic bands on the sides and that allows me to put a case on my 9930 as well....so no "holster but naked" or "case but no holster" compromise for me...i want both and i got it using my 9650's holter...either that or get those otter cases which i prolly do in the near future =P
    08-29-11 08:38 PM
    Even if it fits snugly (which it's supposed to so that the phone stays in) what is there in there to scratch the screen? I don't see anything suggesting that would even happen...
    08-29-11 08:40 PM
    Take it back !! Show them the damage - surely you would be given an exchange phone.
    BB2Go likes this.
    08-29-11 08:56 PM
    Well you proved wrong all those that said this phone had glass not plastic screen!
    Uhh... how? That has nothing to do with glass vs plastic....
    08-29-11 08:59 PM
    i been using mine in the case that came with the bold and the screen actually looks fine.i like the case that come's with it
    i never used screen protector's on any of my bb's
    08-29-11 09:08 PM
    I am not doubting by no means but, I thought the Bold touch screen was Gorilla Glass? And even if its not, You holstered the phone enough times to scratch? Sounds like its OtterBox time....
    08-29-11 09:14 PM
    can we get some real science here anyone? if the screen is actually glass, wouldn't it take something HARDER than glass to scratch it? isn't this a known fact? if this is true (scientist please weigh in lol), then how can the materials of the holster scratch glass??

(not doubting, just... yea well i'm doubting, so what.)
    08-29-11 09:23 PM
    I have mine in the holster all the time and no scratches here. I guess I should get a screen protector.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 09:24 PM
    I have used theirs on both my 8520 and 9780. Really good product. And since it works on iPhones and Androids, there should be no problems with the touchscreen.

Amazon.com: Skinomi TechSkin - Screen Protector Shield for BlackBerry Bold 9900: Cell Phones & Accessories
    08-29-11 09:32 PM
    Could you post some very close up pictures? I strongly believe that there is no way for the interior stitching to permanently mar glass. The only interior stitching that is touching the screen in the stock holster is at the very top of the lip and is simply not hard enough to scratch. It almost sound like you left the plastic protector on the screen and that got scratched.

08-29-11 09:37 PM
    Two words.

Screen protector.
    Slightly more than two words: if a screen is so vulnerable that it gets permanently scratched in the course of sliding it into the manufacturer's own carrying holster - which after all is there to protect it - then why don't these phones come with some kind of scratch protection on the screen to start with? At least AT&T has the right idea - when I bought a 9800 a few months back, they gave me a free screen protector with it. Granted, it was the crappy Blackberry one, but still.....
    08-29-11 09:39 PM
    It doesn't get scratched by the stock holster. The original poster is the only one reporting that his glass screen got scratched by nylon or plastic stitching.

Last edited by kyopo; 08-29-11 at 09:45 PM.
    08-29-11 09:42 PM
    Even if it fits snugly (which it's supposed to so that the phone stays in) what is there in there to scratch the screen? I don't see anything suggesting that would even happen...
    The internal stitching that attaches the soft velour like material to the leather. It's rough and sits right against the screen.
    08-29-11 09:54 PM
    I slide my phone In and out of my case all day long (or did). I never thought once to look for rough stitching to see if it would cause damage. The inside is soft and I assumed it was protected. I was wrong. I will do my best to take shots. Will be using my iPad 2 camera though.
    08-29-11 09:56 PM

Look closely and you can see the dotted line. It's permanent. Sorry the quality isn't so good but you can make it out. It's etched in there from friction I guess, rubbing against the inside. Pretty lame.
    08-29-11 10:00 PM
    It doesn't get scratched by the stock holster. The original poster is the only one reporting that his glass screen got scratched by nylon or plastic stitching.

Of course it did. The picture (although not great) proves it.
    08-29-11 10:01 PM
    Could you post some very close up pictures? I strongly believe that there is no way for the interior stitching to permanently mar glass. The only interior stitching that is touching the screen in the stock holster is at the very top of the lip and is simply not hard enough to scratch. It almost sound like you left the plastic protector on the screen and that got scratched.

Lol. No. The included protector has tmobile branded crap on it when you open the box.
    08-29-11 10:03 PM
146 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD