Ok I dont think that this has been posted yet. I was in an important meeting this morning and I decided to use my playbook and wireless keyboard to take notes using the memo program through bridge to my 9900. What I didn't know that that the bridge connection doesn't transfer word by word to the phone but only transfers to the phone when the save button is pushed.

Long story short I had quite a bit of notes typed up and didn't press save. when I went for my lunch I left my PB at work and walked away thinking I would lose the connection but everything I typed should have been saved....NOT THE CASE. I lost everything from my last save point up to when I left the room.

Everybody - Save Constantly.

RIM - Add word for word transfer over bridge or at least maybe some timed auto saves please.

/end rant
    Last edited by Thebigo3d; 08-29-11 at 05:32 PM.
    08-29-11 03:59 PM
    Dont know about your phone .. but i have to <save> memos on it before it saves.

Same would apply for PlayBook
    08-29-11 04:05 PM
    Key difference is that on your phone, if you don't save (but leave the memo open), go for lunch and then come back, the memo will still be there in unsaved form (as long as you don't close it and say "discard").

On the PB, you think the memo is there, but when you walk away, and the bridge disconnects, the memo is gone. No option to save or discard, no option to to come back to it when you reconnect bridge. It's gone.

I've run into this a couple times, and now save regularly.
    08-29-11 04:13 PM
    Seems like it would be rather inefficient to re-save for every single key that is ever typed in any application.... which is essentially what you would have to do.

If you are writing a file on a network drive and you never saved at all and the drive disconnects it's not going to keep your data post disconnect. And Bridge is not supposed to maintain info on the PB after the disconnect so it won't be saved locally either, which is expected.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-29-11 08:46 PM
    There's also the obvious problem of your implementation forcing document updates... There would be no such thing as forgetting changes or undoing them because you are force writing per keystroke....
    08-29-11 08:49 PM
    You could always use my app StickyBoard. It saves your notes automatically.

Free StickyBoard - Download StickyBoard - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    08-29-11 10:49 PM
    Why don't you use word to go? It's not bridged, so something like this wouldn't happen and you can send it to your phone when done.
    08-29-11 10:57 PM
    All the more reason Evernote for PB needs to get released!
    08-30-11 01:43 AM
    Seems like it would be rather inefficient to re-save for every single key that is ever typed in any application.... which is essentially what you would have to do.

If you are writing a file on a network drive and you never saved at all and the drive disconnects it's not going to keep your data post disconnect. And Bridge is not supposed to maintain info on the PB after the disconnect so it won't be saved locally either, which is expected.
    If your writing on network storage the program your using usually creates a temp file in the background that keeps the data between saves. If the network is disconnected the file remains open and can stay open until the network reconnects. The playbook could do this using an encrypted key based on the BB pin that's connected to it. There are lots of different ways to do it.

Really I'm not even saying that the bridge connection has to save word by word. The bridge connection should open up a stream from the PB to the BB. The memo would then be stored in the BB ram until a save happens. If there is a disconnect the memo and all of its unsaved information sits in the BB ram until the PB reconnects the stream or the user sees the memo on their BB and discards the changes since the last save.

The process is just like using a BT keyboard all it does is send it's information to the proper device's ram.
    Last edited by Thebigo3d; 08-30-11 at 07:39 AM.
    08-30-11 07:04 AM
    The app Noto automatically saves on exit. I think it's only 99 cents.
    08-30-11 09:02 AM
    you could've just use the docstogo. duh.
    08-30-11 09:22 PM
    you could've just use the docstogo. duh.
    note pad is much more efficient for a BES user on Outlook who will want to use the notes on their work PC. Using bridge notes you don't have to transfer anything or copy/paste/email files. As soon as you save on your PB, it's on your phone and in your Outlook notes on your PC simultaneously.

I used to do work this way with my phone a lot - one of the reasons an iPhone doesn't work for me - and it works great with the PB ... if you remember to save.
    08-30-11 09:36 PM
    If your writing on network storage the program your using usually creates a temp file in the background that keeps the data between saves. If the network is disconnected the file remains open and can stay open until the network reconnects. The playbook could do this using an encrypted key based on the BB pin that's connected to it. There are lots of different ways to do it.
    Yes, it saves the temp file locally. But bridge is not supposed to maintain any data post disconnect. It has nothing to do with encrypted or not, the data is not supposed to be available on the PB after the disconnect period.

What good is encrypted temp file data if it's sitting there open for modification, human readable on the screen permanently after the user walks away with the BT connected phone....
    08-30-11 09:48 PM
    *****public service*****
    It's 2011 people, use Google Docs. It saves automatically and available across multiple devices via web app. Everything stays synced.
    08-30-11 09:51 PM
    i think sometimes we forget what the bridge is really doing. i find its important to understand what the PB is doing how to use it effectively. i had the experienceof typing notes for presentation in my memo on my BB. When i used the PB to access the notes via bridge it worked well until my BB unexpectedly "reboot". So basicallyi was left with the "big lock" on my PB screen.
    Lesson learned. if i plan to present from my PB i just use docs-to-go on my PB.
    08-30-11 10:25 PM
    *****public service*****
    It's 2011 people, use Google Docs. It saves automatically and available across multiple devices via web app. Everything stays synced.
    Not when you don't have a network connection. When will peopple realize the "cloud" is a disaster waiting to happen?! Try traveling 75K to 150K miles/yr and rely on the "cloud". I've lost count of the number of times I've been stranded without my data because it's in the cloud and not on my local.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 11:34 PM
    *****public service*****
    As an aside, prior to the last OS update, those of us on BES without MDS service running (and that was a lot of us) didn't have google docs as an option without a WiFi connection (no bridge browser).

08-30-11 11:36 PM
    Not when you don't have a network connection. When will peopple realize the "cloud" is a disaster waiting to happen?! Try traveling 75K to 150K miles/yr and rely on the "cloud". I've lost count of the number of times I've been stranded without my data because it's in the cloud and not on my local.

I am shocked you are having network problems...oh wait you are on AT&T...duh!

"the "cloud" is a disaster waiting to happen?!" this one really made me laugh out loud
    08-31-11 12:28 AM
    This is nothing to do with RIM or with Playbook or with Bridge, saving your works is always needed on a computing environment. If you don't know the basics you shouldn't use computers.
    08-31-11 06:50 AM

"the "cloud" is a disaster waiting to happen?!" this one really made me laugh out loud
    AT&T has nothing to do with an airplane's lack of WiFi. AT&T has nothing to do with a client site with cell blockers installed intentionally. The "network" (whether 3/4G or WiFi) isn't there all the time, but for many of us, the data needs to be.

As an aside, throughout the U.S. I've been in many locations where either I, or my team (many on Verizon), don't have network access, especially in large manufacturing/research complexes.

08-31-11 07:06 AM
    What good is encrypted temp file data if it's sitting there open for modification, human readable on the screen permanently after the user walks away with the BT connected phone....
    I agree. There should be no information left on the PB. When I type a memo on the PB the information (Key stroke for Key stroke ) should be transferred to the RAM of the BB I'm connected to (just like a BT Keyboard does to a computer).

When I disconnect the connection, the lock will come up on the PB and the information will stay in the memo program RAM on my BB until I either:

1. reconnect the bridge and the lock screen disappears. I can then continue writing.

2. look at my app switcher and see that memo is running. I open it and see my memo. I can then continue editing on my phone or save and close the program from there.

This is nothing to do with RIM or with Playbook or with Bridge, saving your works is always needed on a computing environment. If you don't know the basics you shouldn't use computers.
    I know. I should be shot for not saving my work before I left for lunch. That's my bad. But you have to think of the bigger implications of this problem. If, while I'm typing, my bridge happens to disconnect (it does happen) I would lose everything since my last save.

The only option we have with memo right now is to type a sentence - hit save (which takes you out of the memo) - You have to click your memo - click edit - scroll to the bottom of the memo - and only then can you type your next sentence.

It's inefficient no matter which way you cut it. I understand why they did it this way. The way its programming is the quick and dirty way to get a app ready for launch. Now that a problem has been found it has become a bug and should be put on the list of things to think about.

I love my PB and I expect little quirks like this because an OS is a huge project to undertake and it will take some time until it matures.
    08-31-11 08:04 AM
    I agree. There should be no information left on the PB. When I type a memo on the PB the information (Key stroke for Key stroke ) should be transferred to the RAM of the BB I'm connected to (just like a BT Keyboard does to a computer).

When I disconnect the connection, the lock will come up on the PB and the information will stay in the memo program RAM on my BB until I either:

1. reconnect the bridge and the lock screen disappears. I can then continue writing.
    I could see that, however the implementation might be tricky. I doubt they would want to deal with saving and encrypting the state of X number of apps and restoring correctly on reconnect. Maybe if it only applied to the app you were currently using in fullscreen or something like that.
    08-31-11 04:48 PM

Why you blame ATT is a mystery. If you are traveling all over the world, ATT isn't the issue, it is getting network access. Maybe if you got your head out of the cloud you wouldn't jump to conclusions and make yourself look so absurd.
    jonty12 likes this.
    08-31-11 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD