The bible apps for the playbook seem to be lacking. Unless I am missing something, there does not seem to be an app that has the entire bible with the NIV translation. It's bad when the Touchpad has you beat on apps. Not that I am saying the Touchpad is better by any means...
    08-28-11 06:28 PM
    Try e-Mmanuel.
    brento likes this.
    08-28-11 08:45 PM
    Try e-Mmanuel.
    +1
    Ive got all the PB Bible apps and this is the one that looks almost perfect.
    08-29-11 08:36 AM
    Thanks for sharing.
    08-29-11 08:39 AM
    i'm waiting for Isilo to come the playbook. They just released an app for the Ipad so hopefully now they will work on one for the playbook. If not then i hope there willl be an app for the android app player when it arrives.
    08-29-11 04:05 PM
    The bible apps for the playbook seem to be lacking. Unless I am missing something, there does not seem to be an app that has the entire bible with the NIV translation. It's bad when the Touchpad has you beat on apps. Not that I am saying the Touchpad is better by any means...
    what are u talking about. just typed in 'bible' in appworld and I see 10+ apps. Even Jeezus didn'thave so many bible apps.
    08-29-11 07:00 PM
    Did you even read my post? I searched 'bible' but none of the apps from that search contained the entire bible in the NIV translation. That's what my post was about, not all the bible apps you could search for using the word 'bible'.

By the way, thanks for the tip on e-mmanuel plus. I have already purchased it.

what are u talking about. just typed in 'bible' in appworld and I see 10+ apps. Even Jeezus didn'thave so many bible apps.
    08-29-11 07:33 PM
    The YouVersion.com website works pretty well. I spoke to their support a while back and they're waiting for Android player to port their app.
    Barefoot_Kevin, PTZ and dadymon like this.
    08-29-11 08:02 PM
    The YouVersion.com website works pretty well. I spoke to their support a while back and they're waiting for Android player to port their app.
    I really hope they release a native version. I love the one on my blackberry much more better () than my wife's on her galaxy s. Olive tree reqder has a nice android app as well.
    08-29-11 10:34 PM
    Olive Tree works great in the Android player. Hopefully they will release a QNX version soon.
    08-29-11 10:37 PM
    Olive Tree works great in the Android player. Hopefully they will release a QNX version soon.
    I agree, I miss that since the last os update.
    08-29-11 10:43 PM
    Thanks for the tip about YouVersion! I have it on my 9810, and by the way it works real well with the bridge browser!
    08-30-11 10:30 AM
    +1

This works best for me too. You don't get all of the functionality of a full blown app, but you get access to a lot of different translations, and it is easy to navigate through.

BTW: I prefer ESV, it's more accurate. Besides, the latest NIV is too PC for me with its gender neutral slant. I don't want my Bible watered down.
    Last edited by Sgian_Dubh; 08-30-11 at 01:59 PM.
    08-30-11 01:56 PM
    I love E-mmanuel Plus. I wish that you had the word "bible" in the name of it, because even though it comes up with bible apps, I passed over it several times thinking that it was something bogus. Then someone recommended it as the best app, and I was so frustrated with all the others that I gave it a shot. It is a GREAT app and so well-thought out. I especially like the option of having two ways to access books. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE having parallel versions side-by-side display.

A truly great app.
    09-22-11 01:49 PM
    Try Genesis 1 - 2001 English Standard - Bible.is - ENGESV They have apps for android and iphone. I am sure they will make an app for PlayBook if we request them to. I've already contacted them, I've done my part.
    PTZ likes this.
    09-23-11 12:36 AM
    E-Mmanuel, is a great find, Amplified and NIV plus for .99, WOW! Awesome!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    klc99 likes this.
    09-24-11 06:37 AM
    yup, waiting for youversion. Using the website for now, but doesn't come close to a native app.
    09-28-11 12:43 AM
    spoke to olive tree recently, they are not planning a Playbook version but waiting for the android player
    09-28-11 03:05 AM
    Kinda bummed that we will have to wait for the Android player to get apps that we have had for so long on our BB phones... But it aint slowin' me down none.. I love my PB!
    09-28-11 06:13 AM
    I've been using Alkitabku for the past month, but my DH just installed emManuel on his PB, and it's got some very nice features too. I am still longing for OliveTree via Android, because there are certain tools not in either of the others.

When I have wifi, the web bibles work ok, but generally you can't save your work that way.
    10-02-11 05:04 PM
    I love E-mmanuel Plus. I wish that you had the word "bible" in the name of it, because even though it comes up with bible apps, I passed over it several times thinking that it was something bogus. Then someone recommended it as the best app, and I was so frustrated with all the others that I gave it a shot. It is a GREAT app and so well-thought out. I especially like the option of having two ways to access books. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE having parallel versions side-by-side display.

A truly great app.
    Thanks a lot for your kind words (and also all the others on this thread who tried and suggested e-Mmanual) and suggestion for the name! I had a feeling that my app was being overlooked because of the name, and your post really confirmed it -- I just updated the listing in AppWorld so hopefully the new name "e-Mmanuel+ Bible Reader" will be approved and up soon.

As an aside, I originally didn't include the word "Bible" in the name because, ironically, the app didn't start off as a bible reader. The first part I wrote for the app was the prayer log, I figured there's lots of bible readers, so I wanted to write something different that believers may need. Problem is, I kept on getting requests for better bible reader features, and I also kept adding features based on my own experience using it, and there you have it, now it's a bible app!

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's support! I'm one guy doing this in his spare time, and your words of encouragement helps keep me going (because I can assure you, the sales figures certainly don't!)
    10-03-11 09:26 AM
    Thanks a lot for your kind words (and also all the others on this thread who tried and suggested e-Mmanual) and suggestion for the name! I had a feeling that my app was being overlooked because of the name, and your post really confirmed it -- I just updated the listing in AppWorld so hopefully the new name "e-Mmanuel+ Bible Reader" will be approved and up soon.

As an aside, I originally didn't include the word "Bible" in the name because, ironically, the app didn't start off as a bible reader. The first part I wrote for the app was the prayer log, I figured there's lots of bible readers, so I wanted to write something different that believers may need. Problem is, I kept on getting requests for better bible reader features, and I also kept adding features based on my own experience using it, and there you have it, now it's a bible app!

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's support! I'm one guy doing this in his spare time, and your words of encouragement helps keep me going (because I can assure you, the sales figures certainly don't!)
    However it came about, yours is definitely the best one out there! I love the parallel reading and the ability to have 3 bookmarks. The prayer log is a great idea too.

Everyone I show your app to at church just says "Wow!" Keep up the good work!
    jetstreamblue likes this.
    10-03-11 05:20 PM
    jetstreamblue, just bought it on your reply and the comments of this forum (haven't even opened it yet). Thanks for your work and dedication on this!
    jetstreamblue likes this.
    10-04-11 06:33 PM
    By the way, the latest update seems to have speeded things up a lot in the emmanuel + Bible reader. Noticeably faster this morning
    10-16-11 06:55 PM
    By the way, the latest update seems to have speeded things up a lot in the emmanuel + Bible reader. Noticeably faster this morning
    Thanks for buying the app (and others on this thread as well)!

The performance issue is definitely one thing I've been struggling with. I changed the way files are loaded on the latest version which did well for start-up time. I'm hoping to improve things a bit more within the app, but it's proving to be difficult, so I don't think I'll get any big easy improvements, maybe a few small things will add up. Plus, it's hard to balance between adding all the features people want, and not bloating up the app and slowing it down more at the same time. At some point, I do hit performance limit of PB/Air and the bible text isn't getting any shorter

Anyway, thanks again for patience and I hope to bring better things over time!

P.S. Please review (and I speak for all devs/all apps) if you haven't already. Reviews are very valuable to us!
    10-17-11 05:21 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD