I got the 9900 on day one in Dubai, unlocked it, and have been using it.

I noticed that the battery life pure sucks, doing 7 - 9% discharge rater per hour on idle and 15 - 22% while using it. Mind you, I rarely aade phone calls, just casual browsing on CB and BBM

I have tried all the OS releases thinking one of them will magically make the battery life decent. nope. I changed the battery itself, but that didn't help at all.

Finally, on my 7th day (last day for the return policy) I went to the store and haf a very tough time convincing them to return it as the sales man couldn't see any defect in the phone itself.

That said, after an hour of arguing, I managed to walk out with a new 9900 and boy is it different.

I had them take out 9 BlackBerry Bolds 9900 and chose one with a perfect build quality and not bulged out trackpad.

When I went home, the first thing I did was wipe the phone and install the leaked 353 (Which I had done on my previous 9900 and was getting 22% discharge rate with light usage).

I immediately noticed the difference in battery life according to Meter Berry. I was doing 5.5% on heavy usage, and 1.4% discharge rate on idle.

I am very happy now, to know that this phone's battery life is comparable to my previous 9780 and is actually usable!

I had to charge my phone twice or thrice a day with my previous 9900. Now I can easily go the full day and still have 35-40% battery left and my usage hasn't changed.

I dont know what was wrong with the previous 9900, or why would one 9900 suck so much battery with the same apps (including BerryWeather, Berry Reader, BeBuzz, Facebook, Twitter, BBM, SugarSync), but it made a night and day difference.

So my advice to anyone here, if you are suffering from extreme battery life problems, maybe this is the time to exchange it before it's too late
    08-26-11 03:21 AM
    I wonder if RIM is having quality control issues. It would be interesting to learn the country each Bold having problems was built in to see if there is some correlation as well as which carrier users having battery problems are with. This battery issue shouldn't be as prevalent as it is, especially if it is a hardware issue.
    08-26-11 05:48 AM
    Yea I was telling my friend that I have to charge my phone everyday and he told me he doesn't. My battery geos from 75% to 25% pretty quickly. But takes a while for it to die after that. I do believe each one is different.
    08-26-11 06:08 AM
    Most of the time you can just swap the battery for a new one. But might as well get a new device! Who doesn't like a new BB?
    08-26-11 06:23 AM
    Can I ask...when you got your replacement 9900, how did you put your contacts, sms, emails back onto it? Did you use Switch Device or did you restore from a backup?

Is this different to what you did with your first phone when you upgraded to the 9900?

I am of the thinking that there is something being copied to the 9900 during a "Switch device" operation which is affecting the battery amongst other things for alot of users. But i could probably be wrong.

Are users who have switched from iOS or Android having issues with their battery?
    08-26-11 07:10 AM
    Most of the time you can just swap the battery for a new one. But might as well get a new device! Who doesn't like a new BB?
    I did swap the battery as a first resolution but that didn't help even a little bit
    08-26-11 07:15 AM
    I wonder if RIM is having quality control issues. It would be interesting to learn the country each Bold having problems was built in to see if there is some correlation as well as which carrier users having battery problems are with. This battery issue shouldn't be as prevalent as it is, especially if it is a hardware issue.
    I don't think it is related to any country in specific.

Mine is made in Hungary 2 anyway
    08-26-11 07:16 AM
    Can I ask...when you got your replacement 9900, how did you put your contacts, sms, emails back onto it? Did you use Switch Device or did you restore from a backup?

Is this different to what you did with your first phone when you upgraded to the 9900?

I am of the thinking that there is something being copied to the 9900 during a "Switch device" operation which is affecting the battery amongst other things for alot of users. But i could probably be wrong.

Are users who have switched from iOS or Android having issues with their battery?
    Everytime I did the switch device wizard my BB ID would get messed up and I would never get emails.

As soon as I got my BB, I wiped it using BBSAK, installed 353, then did a selective resotre of only contacts, bookmarks, BBM

I then added my emails manually via BB ID

I also sent each of my BB Contacts a message then was prompted to re add them
    08-26-11 07:17 AM
    I don't think it is related to any country in specific.

Mine is made in Hungary 2 anyway
    You may be right but this battery issue seems very common from reading threads that I think it would be useful to gather data to try to determine a pattern. Not too difficult for a user to say the country the BB was made in and the carrier they use. Similar to finding out the source for food when their are issues in that industry, batch and lot numbers help isolate the problem.
    I'm just hoping this isn't a general hardware quality control issue which would be a disaster.
    Last edited by DrewDT; 08-26-11 at 08:10 AM.
    08-26-11 08:08 AM
    You may be right but this battery issue seems very common from reading threads that I think it would be useful to gather data to try to determine a pattern. Not too difficult for a user to say the country the BB was made in and the carrier they use. Similar to finding out the source for food when their are issues in that industry, batch and lot numbers help isolate the problem.
    I'm just hoping this isn't a general quality control issue which would be a disaster.
    Well even the previous 9900 was Made in Hungary 2

On the box, it says Made In Hungary 3, but on the unit itself where you put the battery, it says Made In Hungary 2
    08-26-11 08:10 AM
    Well even the previous 9900 was Made in Hungary 2

On the box, it says Made In Hungary 3, but on the unit itself where you put the battery, it says Made In Hungary 2
    Interesting, I wonder what that number means? Are there any other identifiers? I've been hoping the battery issues I've been seeing could be fixed in an OS update but your posts on this makes me think it could be more than that. I know CDMA phones use more battery but it shouldn't be that much more. I hope RIM can figure this out but it doesn't hurt for us to gather as much information for them since we know they check this forum occasionally.
    08-26-11 08:15 AM
    I have 9330 and it came with pathetic battery. It could go from 100 percent to 0 in 10 minutes. How? Vibrate... Would kill it instant. I put it in 2200mah battery in it. Without vibrate, it lasts me almost 5 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 08:28 AM
    Im thinking of taking my phone back today for a new battery.
    Even when I don't use the phone I'm losing about 10% p/h
    More if I use it heavily.
    Mine says on the box it was made in Hungary 2 and inside the back of the phone.
    But then there's also a sticker on the back which says 'Made in Hungary 3'
    I might just wipe the whole phone, reinstall my OS and do a backup but only of specific things like Contacts etc.. See if tha tfixes the issue.
    I've always managed to go a whole day without charging, I have to charge it atleast once through the day now
    08-26-11 08:38 AM
    Same problem here and mine says the same thing: Hungary 2 and Hungary 3.
    08-26-11 09:14 AM
    I have 9330 and it came with pathetic battery. It could go from 100 percent to 0 in 10 minutes. How? Vibrate... Would kill it instant. I put it in 2200mah battery in it. Without vibrate, it lasts me almost 5 days.

A 2200 mah? That would be too big and thick from pictures I have seen on this forum when some poster was trying to fit their new egg 2200 Mah battery into their 9900-9930 device. Those devices have a specific battery size.

I'm sure a lot of posters will be interested to read how you accomplished this.

08-26-11 09:41 AM
    Everytime I did the switch device wizard my BB ID would get messed up and I would never get emails.

As soon as I got my BB, I wiped it using BBSAK, installed 353, then did a selective resotre of only contacts, bookmarks, BBM

I then added my emails manually via BB ID

I also sent each of my BB Contacts a message then was prompted to re add them
    So on the old 9900 you were using "Switch device" and the battery was useless?

And on your new device you did a selective restore from a backup and your battery life is great now?

That kinda ties in with my thinking that the bad battery consumption issue lies somewhere with the Switch Device operation...might be time to spread the word, but would be nice to see what other people who are experiencing bad battery life did when they upgraded
    zephryn likes this.
    08-26-11 10:53 AM
    I used switch device wizard from and 9780 to move to my 9900 and the battery lasts all day with at least 40-50% left at the end fo the day
    08-26-11 11:01 AM
    I'm looking forward to buying one, where is it recommended to from?
    I hate etisalat -___________________-

I played around with the stock unit at LuLu today!
    Splendid quality i'd say! Got everything i'd ask for? But i still doubt if they're buggy. Even carrefour has them! ;\

Just wanna rely on one place to get the phone with a good build :|
    08-26-11 11:12 AM
    I did not use switch device -- set everything up manually. My battery is lasting all day with 50 to 60% left at 10pm.

I have very few 3rd party apps and do not have any apps that are polling for data (weather, etc).

Also not using any apps heavily other than receiving/replying to email.
    08-26-11 11:13 AM
    I used switch device wizard from and 9780 to move to my 9900 and the battery lasts all day with at least 40-50% left at the end fo the day
    How heavily do you use your phone? Do you have any 3rd party Apps installed/running?

I did not use switch device -- set everything up manually. My battery is lasting all day with 50 to 60% left at 10pm.

I have very few 3rd party apps and do not have any apps that are polling for data (weather, etc).

Also not using any apps heavily other than receiving/replying to email.
    See, that kinda goes along with what I'm thinking, dont use Switch Device! Even without heavy use, to still have 50% battery at 10pm is amazing as far as i am concerned!
    08-26-11 11:16 AM
    Im thinking of taking my phone back today for a new battery.
    Even when I don't use the phone I'm losing about 10% p/h
    More if I use it heavily.
    I might just wipe the whole phone, reinstall my OS and do a backup but only of specific things like Contacts etc.. See if tha tfixes the issue.
    I've always managed to go a whole day without charging, I have to charge it atleast once through the day now
    Mine is exactly like yours. Says Made in Hungary 2 on the box, but Hungary 3 on the phone itself where you place the battery.

And changing the battery doesn't help, it's not the battery , it's the phone itself.

Although there are cases where you get a faulty battery.

But RIM has had serious quality control issues ever since the 9300,. 9800, 9780 were released.

I remember buying around 3 BlackBerry's before, 8520, 9700 (2 pieces) and never had a single issue nor did I even check the phone in the shop.

Only when I started seeing the horrible quality on these phones, it's like each phone is made differently, how the trackpad is , build quality, ect...

I now perform a complete diagnosis of the phone at the store checking everything like a Doctor...this is sad really

When you buy a Nokia phone, you just buy it, walk out home, and when you open the box, you get a perfect unit 99% of the time that works as it should...not the case with RIM
    08-26-11 12:37 PM
    So on the old 9900 you were using "Switch device" and the battery was useless?

And on your new device you did a selective restore from a backup and your battery life is great now?

That kinda ties in with my thinking that the bad battery consumption issue lies somewhere with the Switch Device operation...might be time to spread the word, but would be nice to see what other people who are experiencing bad battery life did when they upgraded
    No, I never EVER use switch device wizard. I always do it manually, the hard way. on the previous phone, and on this one.

Both were restored using the same method. it's just that the previous phone had serious battery drainge issue.

Maybe it has something to do with the Radio? I dunno
    08-26-11 12:39 PM
    I'm looking forward to buying one, where is it recommended to from?
    I hate etisalat -___________________-

I played around with the stock unit at LuLu today!
    Splendid quality i'd say! Got everything i'd ask for? But i still doubt if they're buggy. Even carrefour has them! ;\

Just wanna rely on one place to get the phone with a good build :|
    Where you buy it from has no effect on the build quality.

Go to a store where they will allow you to take out a few units and check them yourself.

I went to Dubai Mall , Jacky's Electronics, and they helped me check 9 diff. boxes 2 at a time until I found the perfect unit. Not overly bulged out trackpad, flushed back arrow / menu button/ no squeaky keys or bottom.
    xTleeZx likes this.
    08-26-11 12:41 PM
    Where you buy it from has no effect on the build quality.

Go to a store where they will allow you to take out a few units and check them yourself.

I went to Dubai Mall , Jacky's Electronics, and they helped me check 9 diff. boxes 2 at a time until I found the perfect unit. Not overly bulged out trackpad, flushed back arrow / menu button/ no squeaky keys or bottom.
    Lol it's a good thing i live in jumeirah
    Good attraction near MOE and dubai mall XD
    eap i'll go and ask them to see their units before choosing one
    08-26-11 05:52 PM
    I can't be happier with the battery life with my Bold 9930. I took it off the charger at 7am today at 100% and it's at 50% now at 7:45pm. 12 hours and it's only half dead? I'm over joyed. Might be nice to get an extended battery if they become available so I could get two days or so out of it. Maybe a 1600mah battery? If not I'll get a second battery and a charger for the batteries.
    08-26-11 06:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD