I was just thinking about this a little more this morning and RIM effectively released a 3G PlayBook yesterday with it's updated Blackberry phone Bridge app (version 1.0.5.6) and the new PlayBook OS (version1.0.7.2942) at no additional cost beyond carrier data charges; effectively letting us Blackberry faithful have it for free.

For the most part, mobile phone carriers passed on the PlayBook because it was Wi-Fi only but was able to utilize tethered data from the Blackberry phone. What did most carriers do? They started charging for tethering and enforcing it. Thankfully, my carrier Rogers not only sells the PlayBook but also allows free tethering if you have a 1GB or greater data plan.

In a "cat and mouse" game, yesterday RIM got around tethering. Not only do carriers not have an option to charge for it but they can't make money on a second plan that normally goes with a traditional 3G device. In typical RIM fashion, this is uncharacteristic of them since they are usually "Carrier friendly".

RIM's next major update is reported to fill in those "gaps" that the media has been criticizing the PlayBook for. I think this could be the foundation for that but then again, maybe it isn't?

The only issue is... was this intentional or was this a bug? There was no indication that this was a feature from RIM but then again, they don't promote things like this much. I'm hoping it's a "test bed" for a new 4G device that will work much the same way but be a stand-alone device so that those who don't have Blackberry phones can join the PlayBook train.

I would really like to hear official word from RIM that this is, in fact, a new added feature of the wi-fi PlayBook. It is possible that we are seeing the makings of the 4G device OS since they are sure to be well underway and the new device probably uses the same code base and OS release. Perhaps Kevin can bark up the right tree and find out. If not, I think we need to start a petition or something to tell RIM we want this feature to remain.
    08-25-11 06:52 AM
    I wouldn't be very happy with bridge if I was a carrier.
    Even if its free, bridge speed may be throttled down by rim, to make sure
    That they won't **** off the carriers.
    Why would they use userbase as a test bed? rim got their own testing department, working with carriers.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-25-11 06:58 AM
    So in my case, I use my PB outside sharing it with my newly acquired HTC Sensation's 4G Wi-Fi sharing capabilities, including use of the App world, Does that means I Have the 4G Playbook???
    Just Kidding.
    08-25-11 11:52 AM
    So in my case, I use my PB outside sharing it with my newly acquired HTC Sensation's 4G Wi-Fi sharing capabilities, including use of the App world, Does that means I Have the 4G Playbook???
    Just Kidding.
    No, you have a PB running on a 4G hotspot that you pay extra for. We have a PB running in 3G data that we don't pay extra for.
    08-25-11 12:04 PM
    I wouldn't be very happy with bridge if I was a carrier.Even if its free, bridge speed may be throttled down by rim, to make sure
    That they won't **** off the carriers.
    I doubt this ... The only 'throttle' is the restricted pipeline of bluetooth speed.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-25-11 12:07 PM
    right, the bluetooth connection would make a 4G/LTE connected BB no faster than a 3G one really
    08-25-11 12:09 PM
    Isn't the speed more like max'd EDGE (200-250kbps) speeds? Are people really getting 3G speeds over Bridge? (Not tethering)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 12:37 PM
    I really dont hink carrier should have legal grounds to charge extra for the ability to tether.

What costs more for the telecom to provide. 1gb on my phone or 1gb to my playbook / laptop. A gig is a gig whichever way you decide to look at it.
    08-25-11 12:45 PM
    Seriously man, the max speed u could get on PB via Bridge is only 2.1Mbps (approx 200+ kb/s).
    That's the limitation on Bluetooth v2.1.
    But one thing for sure:
    Great Update!

ps: I hope this isn't a bug
    08-25-11 12:49 PM
    2.1 mb/s = 2,100 kb/s.

200 kb/s = 0.2 mb/s, not 2.1 mb/s.
    08-25-11 12:57 PM
    I believe he meant Mbps. Not MBps

I wish they would enable wifi hotspots on these new phones. 1.5 Mbps is too slow. The playbook would rock at 14Mbps

3g is faster then th 1.5 I get tethered currently

08-25-11 01:34 PM
    I believe he meant Mbps. Not MBps

I wish they would enable wifi hotspots on these new phones. 1.5 Mbps is too slow. The playbook would rock at 14Mbps

3g is faster then th 1.5 I get tethered currently

My previous post isn't edited. So I believe I said Mbps.

2.1 mb/s = 2,100 kb/s.

200 kb/s = 0.2 mb/s, not 2.1 mb/s.
    Errr.. plz.. do a Google or Wiki search first..
    2.1Mbps = 2.1 Megabits per seconds = 2100 kilobits (divided by 8 to get kilobytes) = 262.5Kb/s

CMIIW

Bandwidth conversion calculator | web.forret.com
    08-25-11 03:11 PM
    read another post saying native email is coming next month. if this is the case in order to be secure it has to run through the rim noc which this latest update gave us.

on my old phone i had the $15 bb data email plan. even though it was only email and bbm i was able to install some apps that would use the rim noc. i am guessing that is what we are seeing on the playbook. some apps working with the bluetooth bridge and some requiring a tethered phone data connection.
    08-25-11 03:56 PM
    I would rather stay with 3g, radio equipped pb for full functionality @ $15/mo data plan..
    But sure, free internet thru bridge -who doesn't want a free lunch?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-25-11 06:31 PM
    how could this be both typical of RIM and uncharacteristic?
    08-25-11 07:42 PM
    Just to confirm, bridge data uses the BIS service books on the phone?

Or does it go via WAP?
    08-25-11 07:51 PM
    The title to this thread is very misleading
    08-25-11 08:54 PM
    how could this be both typical of RIM and uncharacteristic?
    In re-reading that, it is a little confusing. RIM is typically carrier-friendly meaning that they don't usually like to upset carriers with features they can't disable if they don't like them. It is uncharacteristic of RIM to do something like this where carriers (so far) don't have a say.
    08-25-11 09:22 PM
    Don't forget about the 2G PlayBook too...

Bold 9000 on T-Mo...
    08-25-11 09:31 PM
    In re-reading that, it is a little confusing. RIM is typically carrier-friendly meaning that they don't usually like to upset carriers with features they can't disable if they don't like them. It is uncharacteristic of RIM to do something like this where carriers (so far) don't have a say.
    Well, maybe carriers have not been too friendly with rim lately pushing iphone and android. Recently in Denver there were no bb's to be seen at a verizon shop. Then again, rim did apparently cooperate with AT&T in blocking bridge.
    08-25-11 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD