So, my daughter is off at college and there is a dead spot where she lives. Can't get a signal. She has a blackberry pearl, which does not do UMA, so I thought that I would like to give her my wife's curve and get the wife something new.

Apparently, unless you are buying a starter phone, they won't sell you anything without a data plan. My wife likes the blackberry keyboard and is used to using the built in apps for her lists and whatnot, but she is actively hostile to the idea of email on her phone and would never access the net with it. So any money spent on data is money thrown away.

I tried and then she tried to call and get them to waive the plan. No dice. The only way that they would do that is if you pay full price. Since all phones quit working in a year or so, at best (my experience) I don't want to do that.

Since we are customers from back in the Voicestream days, Customer Service told her they would reduce the data plan to 10 dollars and give her a ten dollar credit every month for a year. New curve would be 50 bucks and a 2 year contract.

Then I find out the 10 dollar plan meant extending ALL my lines (4) by two years! Not doing that. Had a **** of a time getting that reversed.

Ended up talking to the retention department who offered me a HTC Sensation for 50 bucks with one line extended to 2 years. I figured I would use it, give me wife my bold and all would be well.

Phone never shows. Contract extension and new data plan did, but no phone. I called and there was no record of it. Like I would just add a data line and extend my contract for no reason?

Next day they tell me the phone is on it's way. The wrong phone. Another HTC (wildfire?) worth half what the phone I agreed to. Of course, they swear that I accepted that phone. Fortunately, I was home when UPS arrived and told them not to even get it off the truck.

Now they tell me they need a month to reverse the contract and data.

When did the mission of the retention department shift to 'running off customers'?
    08-23-11 01:37 PM
    Get used to it. Read the recent posts in this forum or even better go to their Facebook Page for T-Mobile USA. Charging full price for a phone even when you go to contract from off contract. Changing vital benefits of plans mid stream. T-Mo has really been shady lately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 04:00 PM
    Yup... I've started noticing the same thing. It's probably due to agents not knowing whether they will have a job next year or not, so they're just saying eff it.

I had to call customer service a few times over the past 10 days or so and every time I called something went wrong.

Yesterday I called in to inquire about my data issues and for some reason the agent removed my texting plan. When I got up this morning I got one of those free texts from Tmo saying something about text messages going over limit. When I called in I was told that the agent removed unlimited texting plan. Why? I have no idea because I never mentioned texting during yesterday's call.
    08-24-11 07:46 AM
    I always use the online chats with customer service so I can save a record of it to my PC.

Better to buy a used BlackBerry if you don't want to renew a contract. I've been off contract for over 2 years because I'd lose my grandfathered plan to upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 09:44 AM
    I liked T-Mobile and was a proud customer for a time, but the news of them being swallowed whole by AT&T sent me packing. Why not consider Sprint if the coverage is okay?
    08-24-11 10:20 AM
    Contact their support and ask to talk with the abuse department, talk with someone that can move things and not with some regular CS... explain your story and say that you will move to other carrier if this issue won't get fixed by them... i'm sure that if you talk with the right person they will get you some good deal for all of those troubles ... Good luck.
    thehunted1 likes this.
    08-25-11 02:59 PM
    Most carriers force you to buy something now with smartphones. Sprint charges an extra $10 per month if I upgraded to a new Blackberry because all smartphones now get a "premium" charge. Since she is voice/txt only, look for an unlocked phone on ebay or craigslist. Unfortunately as fewer carriers are around they don't have to compete as much for business and T-mobile is in limbo till the merger is either approved or denied.
    08-25-11 05:14 PM
    T-Mobile treats their Blackberry customers like unwanted step-children. Once you stop expecting any love from them, you just deal with them like any other business.
    08-26-11 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD