I went into the Verizon store today and ordered the 9930 to replace my Storm2. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks. The plan was to get each other Tablets as wedding gifts. She wants an iPad, and I figured the Playbook would make me happy. So, to further add to the excitement, I ordered the 9930 to pair with the Playbook. Then, as I waited for her to show up after work, I kept playing with the 9930 display model. 10 minutes later, I got pissed at myself for ordering the device before I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it. This phone, IMHO, is not worth the $230 I had to pay, plus the loss of an upgrade. First off, for all the "quality" that's supposedly been built into the phone I'm not as impressed as I expected myself to be. I don't like the scraping feel on the edge of the metal band near the keyboard and screen. And for whatever reason, I felt it too often. Yes, I know, a case will solve that problem. But should it have to? The metal band, IN NO WAY, compares to the look and feel of the iPhone. And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic! The touchscreen so near to the trackpad is absolute frustration. I activated the touchscreen way too often while using the trackpad. Mind you, I wasn't trying to power my way through any of the selections. I was taking my time with it. As I thought I was becoming more comfortable, I tried to cruise through a little more casually, but the screen would inevitably do something I didn't intend it to do. The touchscreen in general makes this phone much more inefficient. Another example: I loaded up a web page and played with the pinch-to-zoom. Bizarre behavior. I would pinch and it would zoom, but after landing my thumb on the page to adjust its position on the screen it became highly unpredictable and unreliable. It would zoom in too close or zoom out completely. I'd put my finger back on the screen, and again, nothing predictable. It never did exactly what I wanted it to. Absolutely the worst touch screen experience I've ever had on any device...including my Storm2. I've had the Storm series for three years now. I'm exhausted from the lack of precise navigation. And since I'm a Storm/Touchscreen user (I also have an iPod Touch, and have tried a Samsung Charge) I feel very little "need" to reunite myself with the physical keyboard, at this point. Further, as its been mentioned here often, I also have very little motivation to get a new device with a poor selection of apps. I'm not an app person to any great extent, but at least I know I won't have to wait for compatible versions of any of the apps I have on my S2. My Storm2, though from the dark ages, is still organized. I want more, not less. And, though I have to wait for the hardware to catch up to my brain most of the time, it still delivers the information I want in as little as 2 or 3 clicks.

And let's be real. The camera blows. I took a photo of the price and specs page next to the device. The blur was unacceptable. I take pictures like that everyday for work. I don't need great photos. I have a great camera for those. But, I do benefit from taking decent photos with my phone and quickly attaching them to an email.

This is so depressing, but I'll wait to check out the QNX "Superphone"...

Oh, I think I'll pass on the Playbook for now, too... I was ready to blow a grand today. You suck, RIM.
    Last edited by deke09; 08-22-11 at 10:09 PM.
    zeteo likes this.
    08-22-11 09:02 PM
    Don't be depressed bud.
    08-22-11 09:05 PM
    Cool story, bro...
    08-22-11 09:05 PM
    Meh, I can forgive most of the things you said, but you are true wit the precision being off with the touchscreen.
    08-22-11 09:13 PM
    When using touch you have to careful that none of your other fingers are touching anywhere on the screen's edges. I find myself doing this from time to time. I also do it on my PlayBook and it (of course) causes issues. As it should.

Not sure if you did that; just throwing a possibility out there.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-22-11 09:20 PM
    You are actually basing your opinion on a demo device? Those things get abused to **** by employees and customers. You are wrong in your summation of the 9900/9930. It is a great device.
    08-22-11 09:21 PM
    Surely the Storm2 is better???? lol

I have absolutely no issues with my touch screen. device is solid as a rock. Maybe a crap demo phone they were showing you?
    08-22-11 09:22 PM
    I went into the Verizon store today and ordered the 9930 to replace my Storm2. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks. The plan was to get each other Tablets as wedding gifts. She wants an iPad, and I figured the Playbook would make me happy. So, to further add to the excitement, I ordered the 9930 to pair with the Playbook. Then, as I waited for her to show up after work, I kept playing with the 9930 display model. 10 minutes later, I got pissed at myself for ordering the device before I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it. This phone, IMHO, is garbage and not worth the $230 I paid, plus the loss of an upgrade. First off, for all the "quality" that's supposedly been built into the phone I'm not impressed. I don't like the scraping feel on the edge of the metal band. And for whatever reason, I felt it too often. Yes, I know, a case will solve that problem. But should it have to? The metal band, IN NO WAY, compares to the look and feel of the iPhone. And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic! The touchscreen so near to the trackpad is absolutely ridiculous. I activated the touchscreen way too often while using the trackpad. Mind you, I wasn't trying to power my way through any of the selections. I was taking my time with it. As I thought I was becoming more comfortable, I tried to cruise through a little more, but the screen would inevitably do something I didn't intend it to do. The touchscreen in general makes this phone much more inefficient. Another example: I loaded up a web page and played with the pinch-to-zoom. Bizarre behavior. I would pinch and it would zoom, but after landing my thumb on the page to adjust its position on the screen it became highly unpredictable and unreliable. It would zoom in too close or zoom out completely. I'd put my finger back on the screen, and again, nothing predictable. It never did exactly what I wanted it to. Absolutely the worst touch screen experience I've ever had on any device...including my Storm2. I've had the Storm series for three years now. I'm exhausted from the lack of precise navigation. And since I'm a Storm/Touchscreen user (I also have an iPod Touch, and have tried a Samsung Charge) I feel very little "need" to reunite myself with the physical keyboard, anyway. Further, as its been mentioned here often, I also have very little motivation to get a new device with a poor selection of apps. I'm not an app person to any great extent, but at least I know I won't have to wait for updated versions of any of the apps I have on my S2. My Storm2, though from the dark ages, is still organized. I want more, not less. And, though I have to wait for the hardware to catch up to my brain most of the time, it still delivers the information I want is as little as 2 or 3 clicks.

And let's be real. The camera blows, too. I took a photo of the price and specs page next to the device. The blur was unacceptable. I take pictures like that everyday for work.

Oh, I think I'll pass on the Playbook for now, too... I was ready to blow a grand today. You suck, RIM.
    So you judged the entire phone from 10 minutes of playing with it? Any new device takes the entire trial time to make a logical decision? For me anyways!!
    08-22-11 09:25 PM
    Surely the Storm2 is better???? lol

I have absolutely no issues with my touch screen. device is solid as a rock. Maybe a crap demo phone they were showing you?
    Of course the S2 isn't better. But I've relied on it for the 22 months I've owned it. I couldn't rely on the 9930 for 10 minutes. Maybe there's truth to the notion a demo device is "crap," but that doesn't make sense to me. It just landed in the store. Its there to sell the device. If I accept shipment of this device and activate it, I'll have to pay the restocking fee. Conflicting reports suggest I may or may not have to pay that fee if I reject the shipment and it goes straight back to Verizon. I would rather save that $35 to put towards something I know I will love. All I can say right now is my heart is broken after 10 minutes with the 9930. I have til Wednesday's delivery to consider accepting it, however, so I'm looking forward to more opinions in the forum...
    Last edited by deke09; 08-22-11 at 10:04 PM.
    08-22-11 09:33 PM
    Wow, some of you people kill me. I guess I'm the only the only one who's ever picked up a phone and more or less realized instinctively, this isn't the phone for me. So while it might be the phone for you, doesn't mean others are entitled to feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks.
    I myself like the 9900. But that doesn't mean I dismiss a person who doesn't as an ***** or dip****. Get a grip.
    08-22-11 09:35 PM
    the touch screen is amazing. i just left the droid charage and the bold touchsreen is more responsive and doesn't freeze like the charge or the tbolt.

I went into the Verizon store today and ordered the 9930 to replace my Storm2. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks. The plan was to get each other Tablets as wedding gifts. She wants an iPad, and I figured the Playbook would make me happy. So, to further add to the excitement, I ordered the 9930 to pair with the Playbook. Then, as I waited for her to show up after work, I kept playing with the 9930 display model. 10 minutes later, I got pissed at myself for ordering the device before I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it. This phone, IMHO, is garbage and not worth the $230 I paid, plus the loss of an upgrade. First off, for all the "quality" that's supposedly been built into the phone I'm not impressed. I don't like the scraping feel on the edge of the metal band. And for whatever reason, I felt it too often. Yes, I know, a case will solve that problem. But should it have to? The metal band, IN NO WAY, compares to the look and feel of the iPhone. And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic! The touchscreen so near to the trackpad is absolutely ridiculous. I activated the touchscreen way too often while using the trackpad. Mind you, I wasn't trying to power my way through any of the selections. I was taking my time with it. As I thought I was becoming more comfortable, I tried to cruise through a little more, but the screen would inevitably do something I didn't intend it to do. The touchscreen in general makes this phone much more inefficient. Another example: I loaded up a web page and played with the pinch-to-zoom. Bizarre behavior. I would pinch and it would zoom, but after landing my thumb on the page to adjust its position on the screen it became highly unpredictable and unreliable. It would zoom in too close or zoom out completely. I'd put my finger back on the screen, and again, nothing predictable. It never did exactly what I wanted it to. Absolutely the worst touch screen experience I've ever had on any device...including my Storm2. I've had the Storm series for three years now. I'm exhausted from the lack of precise navigation. And since I'm a Storm/Touchscreen user (I also have an iPod Touch, and have tried a Samsung Charge) I feel very little "need" to reunite myself with the physical keyboard, anyway. Further, as its been mentioned here often, I also have very little motivation to get a new device with a poor selection of apps. I'm not an app person to any great extent, but at least I know I won't have to wait for updated versions of any of the apps I have on my S2. My Storm2, though from the dark ages, is still organized. I want more, not less. And, though I have to wait for the hardware to catch up to my brain most of the time, it still delivers the information I want is as little as 2 or 3 clicks.

And let's be real. The camera blows, too. I took a photo of the price and specs page next to the device. The blur was unacceptable. I take pictures like that everyday for work.

08-22-11 09:35 PM
    So you judged the entire phone from 10 minutes of playing with it? Any new device takes the entire trial time to make a logical decision? For me anyways!!
    To suggest I judged the "entire" phone would be inaccurate. I judged its performance in my hands for the 10 minutes I used it. And that's a low-ball estimation. I was in the store well over an hour. I'm deeply familiar with Blackberry. I took my time with it, and I played with the settings. I didn't feel any pressure to step aside because no one else in the store had any interest in the 9930.
    08-22-11 09:42 PM
    Yes, the bold is not for everybody. I hope you find a device that suits your needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 09:46 PM
    Sounds to me like there are a lot of dud devices out there.
    08-22-11 09:52 PM
    Bold is just another bold. Curve owners will cry in joy with the bold touchscreen..the guy in storm 2 or sgs2 will just sneer and say...yeah..dejavu all over again..tiny screen..
    differing comments are completely normal. What matters is users experience and whether three device satisfies his needs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-22-11 09:54 PM
    Why will I not be surprised if you feel the same way about your Fiance the day after the wedding!
    ewick12, Siiid, 1425956 and 2 others like this.
    08-22-11 09:58 PM
    If you mean 9900s I don't think so. There doesn't seem to be the same wave of problems experienced by so many uses that occured with say the Torch. To me this phone appears to be much better quality and a solid evolution from the 9700. Of course it is still early and there are indeed bugs, but the stats seem to indicate a lower incidence.

I like it but it isn't for everyone.
    08-22-11 10:03 PM
    Or maybe a lot of "dud" users...LOL
    08-22-11 10:07 PM
    I am really happy with mine, but i see what you mean about the touchscreen. Be warned The PB screen suffers from the same issues, specially when scrolling, you end up in the website of an ad.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-22-11 10:07 PM
    So you are basing your decision on a phone you played with for 10 minutes? .....and also not getting the playbook because of a 10 minute demo with something, which in no way, resembles the playbook? The 5 minutes I used the 9930 floor model I fell in love with it, maybe you didn't like it, so what? No one held a gun to you're head and told you purchase it. The playbook is an amazing tablet, the only one I would ever buy and I did. I've played with tons of iPads and I liked them but it wasn't for me. You cant say you aren't getting a playbook because you had a bad experience with a blackberry phone. You cant honestly expect me to believe you would rather use your S2 over the 9930. My girlfriend has the S2 and it is awful compared to the new bold. Its slow, the touch screen is terrible and the battery life is atrocious. You are just used to it, the bold is something completely different. You cant say RIM sucks because they didn't cater to your exact specs of what a perfect phone for you would be. You say it doesn't compare to the "look and feel" of the iPhone, in what way? Its not a rectangle? Its not all boring metal and glass? Or not every 15 year old gets one for their first cell phone? If you really want the "look and feel" of the iPhone then buy an iPhone. The one thing I will agree with in your post is that, yes, the camera really doesn't compare to older blackberrys/iPhone4's but thats it.

All in all its a fantastic device, for most. I am sorry you had a bad experience with one.
    Last edited by anttehninja; 08-22-11 at 10:10 PM.
    damule6666 and AMR1 like this.
    08-22-11 10:08 PM
    Yup I can pick a phone up and within 2 mins know if I like it by the way it feels in my hands... I don't need 30 days to figure that out.. You can tell a lot about performance in the first 5 mins

Wow, some of you people kill me. I guess I'm the only the only one who's ever picked up a phone and more or less realized instinctively, this isn't the phone for me. So while it might be the phone for you, doesn't mean others are entitled to feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks.
    I myself like the 9900. But that doesn't mean I dismiss a person who doesn't as an ***** or dip****. Get a grip.

X2

I can pick up a phone and know it's not for me.. I see a lot of people bashing the thunderbolt and the iphone. Each person has a their own choice in the phone they want to purchase.. Sure some might be better than other, because each phone does different thing than the other... I had a BB 9700 and I loaded OS6 from ATT and the thing turned into a dog.. I went back to OS5 and it was ok, but the phone was outdated.. I got it when it first came out and I LOVED that phone.. Took a beating and kept going, but it's getting slower by the day and almost all the paint has worn off the keys.. I still works ok but I needed something new so I went with a different phone..

But when I walked into the ATT store I picked up a couple of the HTC phone's along with the samsung infuse and I knew right when it hit my hands it wasn't the phone for me..

I tried the BB torch and I was a really nice phone but I didn't like the way the screen slid up to uncover the keyboard. The keys were so cramped and the screen always creaked, and I knew this from other slider phone's I've had but I returned that phone in 1 week. Still a nice phone just not for me...

I hope you make your decision on a device that suits what you want and need...

James
    08-22-11 10:12 PM
    It's okay if the 9930 does not feel right for you. Smartphones are personal and it is good for you to know clearly what you don't like. You will find smartphone that feels right when you hold it and use it. For me it was the Blackberry two years ago, since that time I tried four Android phones (both nexus' & Droid Inc's.). Now I have my 9930 and it feels and performs perfectly for me.
    Crucial_Xtreme and damule6666 like this.
    08-22-11 10:16 PM
    I'm keeping mine but yeah, it is highly over-rated at this point.

Same apps.

Bad camera.

Inefficient touscscreen.

But, I simply refuse Droids and iPhones. So, I will stick with the 9930.

There is nothing this phone does that is miles beyond my 9700.

Email, a little web, AP News, text messages. LoL. That's all I need. But, the camera truly frikken blows. A huge bummer for me as I have tons of people that follow my FB pic uploads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    deke09 likes this.
    08-22-11 10:24 PM
    I had the storm 1, 2, and Bold 9650. All I can say comming from all three of those phones the 9930 is Awsome. Yes the camera sucks. You cant have everything. Remember this is a blackberry not a Iphone.
    08-22-11 10:27 PM
    But, I simply refuse Droids and iPhones. So, I will stick with the 9930.
    Why? Just curious.
    08-22-11 10:33 PM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD