I apologize if this thread comes out sounding similar to others (it's not my intention).

Can someone please explain to me, precisely and in semi-layman's terms, how to install Japanese input keyboard on my BlackBerry Bold 9930 (Verizon)?

I had a Tour for two years before getting my new Bold, and I could never figure out if that one could do it because I didn't understand how people were installing all the things they kept talking about, so please help me. I'm just a n00b who desperately wants to practice her Japanese outside of class.
    08-21-11 05:40 PM
    Hi did you ever figure it out? I'd like to know as well.

Thanks!
    10-24-11 04:03 PM
    You can install Japanese language on your BlackBerry via the Operating System. However changing the keyboard is not possible I am sorry to say.

What characters each key on the keyboard generates is defined at manufacture. Even simple changes from QWERTZ to QWERTY ane not possible. The one exception to this is the currency symbol which may be configured to produce $, � and �.

You can change the keyboard to show Japanese characters but this will be purely cosmetic.

Sorry.
    10-24-11 04:12 PM
    First, go to SETUP > Language and Input Methods > See if you have Japanese.

To change the input method > Hold Alt + Press Enter.

If you don't have Japanese, install from the BB OS.
    10-24-11 10:41 PM
    You can install it from the DM when you plug your phone in. I have it on my 9930, so its definitely there.
    10-25-11 12:07 AM
    You can install it from the DM when you plug your phone in. I have it on my 9930, so its definitely there.
    That will work fine. I said so earlier. What you cannot do is to change the keyboard from its QWERTY configuration to a Japanese equivalent. Even if you get one with the correct legends on it, it is very unlikely that the keycap legends will correspond to displayed characters when pressed.

RIM do this quite deliberately to stop people buying phones in a country where they are cheap, bringing them to another country and simply swapping out the keyboard overlay and installing the local language on the phone. There is no way round this I am afraid.
    10-25-11 10:07 AM
    That will work fine. I said so earlier. What you cannot do is to change the keyboard from its QWERTY configuration to a Japanese equivalent. Even if you get one with the correct legends on it, it is very unlikely that the keycap legends will correspond to displayed characters when pressed.

RIM do this quite deliberately to stop people buying phones in a country where they are cheap, bringing them to another country and simply swapping out the keyboard overlay and installing the local language on the phone. There is no way round this I am afraid.
    That, while could be true, isn't the case. Japanese at least has the same letters as we do on the keyboard, but is a kind of predictive typing. They'd type out CAT in japanese to have it replaced by the single character word for CAT, for example. It's a type of predictive text and auto-text all together. It doesn't have anything to do with the keyboard mapping.
    10-25-11 02:50 PM
    That, while could be true, isn't the case. Japanese at least has the same letters as we do on the keyboard, but is a kind of predictive typing. They'd type out CAT in japanese to have it replaced by the single character word for CAT, for example. It's a type of predictive text and auto-text all together. It doesn't have anything to do with the keyboard mapping.
    Oh, that's cool. I was expecting a keyboard overlay/map that showed the japanese character set on the front.

I have learned something today. Thank you.

What I said was true too. We have examined this particular problem to death over the years. Many people have bought phones in the US and taken them to Germany (or wherever) or the reverse has happened. It is easy as pie to change the keypad with the characters on it. What ya can't change is what happens when you press 'em.
    10-26-11 05:38 AM
    Japanese input only able to be installed when the radio file supports it, generally about 4mb larger than normal, and the file name begins with jAsia ....
    10-26-11 06:02 AM
    Can someone please explain to me, precisely and in semi-layman's terms, how to install Japanese input keyboard on my BlackBerry Bold 9930 (Verizon)?
    I do not have 9930 so that I cannot verify if it works or not, but it seems ok for me:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.0.0.1296 (All Languages)

Package Version: 7.0.0.1296
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 7.0.0.241
    Software Platform: 5.0.0.442
    File name: 9930jAllLang_PBr7.0.0_rel1296_PL5.0.0.442_A7.0.0.2 41_Sprint_L.P.exe
    File size: 231.59M
    Download here

Unfortunately it's a little bit old...
    10-27-11 11:35 AM
    Japanese input only able to be installed when the radio file supports it, generally about 4mb larger than normal, and the file name begins with jAsia ....
    You sound right because I could never find Japan input option can be added when I installed the Official 9930 OS 7.0.0.374 from Verizon Wireless. Do you mind sharing where I can download the OS begins with jAsia...?
    10-27-11 04:47 PM
    You sound right because I could never find Japan input option can be added when I installed the Official 9930 OS 7.0.0.374 from Verizon Wireless. Do you mind sharing where I can download the OS begins with jAsia...?
    See my previous post.
    10-28-11 05:48 AM
    See my previous post.
    Which one? Can you please help post the OS download link for 9930?
    10-28-11 12:47 PM
    Which one? Can you please help post the OS download link for 9930?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...4/#post6804271
    10-30-11 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD