I am not a Sprint customer or ever plan on being one but I want to try this Torch out. I visited Best Buy and a Sprint reseller to try the phone out but both did not have any.

Anyone with luck finding one of these?
    08-21-11 04:26 PM
    played with it in Houston
    08-21-11 04:47 PM
    I went to the local Sprint store to test the 9850 and 9930 out. Spent a couple of minutes comparing the two and I have to say, both are absolutely amazing.

I'm still torn though; I still am leaning towards the 9850, but I was in awe of just how premium the 9930 looked and felt. That's not to say the 9850 felt -cheap- really, but it did maintain somewhat of a plastic feel which I wasn't crazy about. If it weren't for the camera and screen size advantage, I'd be buying my 9930 right now.

Oh, and I personally found the virtual keyboard to be pretty easy to type on. I typed out random words for a few minutes and the longer I typed, the more I got used to it.

Both are great devices
    Last edited by hellokurva; 08-21-11 at 06:55 PM.
    08-21-11 06:53 PM
    Oh, and I personally found the virtual keyboard to be pretty easy to type on. I typed out random words for a few minutes and the longer I typed, the more I got used to it.
    I think this is a great note. People will get used to typing on the 9950 after a few days, just like I'm getting better typing on my iPad2 right now. That's why for someone to pick up the device and say the keyboard sucks, just makes no sense. You need to give yourself time to get used to it, just as all storm users had to do.
    08-21-11 07:30 PM
    I'm proud to say I found one and I love it. It took a while to find one three best buy stores and then sprint. But I got one. I love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mustangv8 likes this.
    08-21-11 07:36 PM
    ccis, care to share what was in the box?

Was there a holster?
    08-21-11 07:50 PM
    No. No holster. Just headphones cable and plug. But the phone is lovely. I don't think it feels cheap at all. It was worth the long morning search I went on to find it.

08-21-11 08:00 PM
    Went to my local Best Buy looking for the 9930 but for some reason the sales person told me they may not be selling the 9930 at all so I settled for the Torch 9850 since my Tour is beat to $hit. The screen is great and the typing is kind of difficult to get used to being that I've had the keyboard for the last 2 years. But what I do notice is the fact that I can type a lot faster on virtual than keyboard. You pretty much have to press down firmly to make sure you press the letters on hard keyboard but this virtual one is a slight tap. Since I have 30 days to "try" this 9850 out, I'll give it a shot, but wHy I really miss is the shortcut from the keyboard on my Tour, but I guess there's probably an app for that.

08-21-11 08:01 PM
    Went to my local Best Buy looking for the 9930 but for some reason the sales person told me they may not be selling the 9930 at all so I settled for the Torch 9850 since my Tour is beat to $hit. The screen is great and the typing is kind of difficult to get used to being that I've had the keyboard for the last 2 years. But what I do notice is the fact that I can type a lot faster on virtual than keyboard. You pretty much have to press down firmly to make sure you press the letters on hard keyboard but this virtual one is a slight tap. Since I have 30 days to "try" this 9850 out, I'll give it a shot, but wHy I really miss is the shortcut from the keyboard on my Tour, but I guess there's probably an app for that.

Did you try to correct the sensitivity of the pad? Like we could do on the storm. Should get rid of that firm press issue.
    08-21-11 08:39 PM
    Did you try to correct the sensitivity of the pad? Like we could do on the storm. Should get rid of that firm press issue.
    That helped. Thanks. Landscape mode is a lot easier to type than portrait. All in all this screen is what I'm liking since I've been looking at that 2" Tour screen for so long.

08-21-11 08:46 PM
    Went to local bestbuy in Darmouth NS, and a RIM rep, had the 3 new BB's there. I played with the 9860, and it was fantastic, flet like a real sturdy phone, but lighter than my 9550. OS was great smooth and ez to use, the browser was great, loaded up quick, websites looked fantastic, very little checker boarding if any. The buttons on the bottom were good, did not look cheap. I asked about the screen, and it is plastic, but if a person looks after it and keeps it in the case, scratches should not be a worry.

Looks great, feels great, and works like a charm, cannot wait until telus gets it in, will be there for sure to get one. I love my 9550 but it is time to upgrade. Though I will miss the suretype screen that the storm had.
    08-21-11 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD