How tough is the 9900/9930? (without case. Bare phone)

I know not a lot of people have this phone as of this moment, but for those who are not so careful, how has your phone stood up to falls or drops?

As a general question, how tough are Blackberry bolds?

Old nokia phones, even after having been dropped from 20 ft+ from an escalator by accident and it still seemed to work, obviously there will be scratches, but still worked.

Same reason I used to just throw my nokia phones in the bed knowing they'll be fine.

I don't imagine iPhones and Android devices can handle falls as well, but I really don't know.

Does the 9900 require "babying" to keep it in working condition?
    Princess AS likes this.
    08-20-11 03:11 AM
    My Bold 9700 was very tough. I practically dropkicked & threw it on the ground on some hard gravel & rocks a few times out in the yard with no issues other than the odd scratch or dent as expected, but it was still fully functional aside from one fall that dented the lock button so it was stuck down, but simply opening the case and bending it back fixed this problem.

I haven't dropped my 9900 (yet) but it feels very solid and with the metal ring surrounding it I expect it to be very tough

I traditionally run my phone's naked, but I just ordered a Case-Mate barely there brushed aluminum cover just because the new bold is so thin, and I think the brushed aluminum cover will really add to my Bold's looks accenting the brushed metal ring already there

Traditionally blackberries have always been very tough
    08-20-11 03:22 AM
    This is a great question. I know I abused my old Bolds and they just kept ticking. However I’m not ready to start throwing this one around yet.
    08-20-11 03:28 AM
    Seems...fairly solid! But this type of metal scratches very easily, and the back cover will get scratched up pretty bad while running naked. However, I dropped my 9700 plenty of times, and that thing pretty much still looks new after almost 2 years with it, and I always ran it with no silicon cover, just the BB holster. Only time will tell with the new Bold, but I'd rather not find out just yet how tuff it is if its dropped off a table...lol.
    08-20-11 03:31 AM
    i think im gonna be in honeymoon phase with my 9900 for next few months (babying, full protection case etc), i'll get back to you later when im ready to drop or stop babying my 9900 though, and give my review about the toughness of it...
    conservator13 likes this.
    08-20-11 07:45 AM
    No doubt all the Bold line, and BBs in general are pretty hardy beasts. But I think it varies according to use. I tend to be careful with all my electronic devices even the cheapest of cheap Nokias and pass them on without a scratch on 'em.

My wife, on the other hand, throws her phones in her handbag with keys, compacts and God knows what else. Drops it regularly and leaves it lying around the kitchen with splashes and sauces and whatnot. Whenever I show dismay her reply is always "It's just a phone!"

lol
    catwoman66 likes this.
    08-20-11 08:00 AM
    I'm looking forward to a reasonably durable phone. I'm not terrifically abusive, but I do take my 9650 with me when I do yard work.

I do not care for a thin phone... at least, it is not important to me.... so I might slip the 9930 into one of those beefy otterbox things.
    08-20-11 08:08 AM
    I got it less than 24 hours ago, and I'm petrified that it's going to get scratched, lol...I'm that way about my electronics, and I love to make things last (for example, I have a 2004 iPod mini that still works!). I'm going to be really babying my 9930 until I get my case on Monday (I ordered the Blackberry Soft Case in indigo...hope it's tough enough!). Until then, I guess I'll be putting it in the really fugly "leather" (did they cheap out this time or what!?) holster case it came with.
    08-20-11 08:57 AM
    I had someone throw my 9700 hard across Madison Avenue once, the kind of throw where you'd immediately write it off as "smithereened" before it even hit the ground, but to my amazement it only had a little scuff on it and remained perfectly intact. I didn't have a screen protector on it, just the bog standard cheapo Blackberry silicone skin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 09:18 AM
    9900 units are heavy. If naked and dropped on the metal edge arounf the screen, I am betting the glass will break. If you drop you phone all the time, Otterbox is a good choice.

I like mine naked so I can use the charging POD. The back will get a little scuffed but a little fine polishing compound and wax and it looks like new.
    08-20-11 09:20 AM
    My friend just dropped his 9900 last night after a few beers lol. However he picked it up and there were no noticable scratches or anything

08-20-11 01:26 PM
    I've dropped my storm 2 3-4 times on tile from waist height (About 3ft) and once on pavement from waist height and had no ill effects aside from some scratches and whatnot on the sides of the device (I run mine caseless). The S2 screen is glass (at least I'm pretty sure it is) and it has held up to those falls (no cracks), not to mention the devices is a lot heavier than the 9930, and as we all know, F=ma.

I don't foresee any issues with the new Bolds durability.
    08-20-11 03:04 PM
    Actually the screen is made of "extra strong glass", per RIM...

RIM tells us the display is made of "extra hardened glass," so there's no plastic here.

Per Blackberry full review.

Last edited by bigbad614; 08-20-11 at 03:14 PM.
    08-20-11 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD