With so many great phones out there, my Storm2 is finally near retirement. I've been leaning towards the 9930, but I'm curious about the VZ Nav experience. I realize the Storm2 has a bigger screen than the Bold, but not by much really, so I'm guessing I'm not losing out on much by Navigating with the Bold, but I owned a Samsung Charge for a day, and when I opened up the Navigator I was really impressed. Do I sacrifice the larger touchscreen to go back to the BlackBerry keyboard, or is the screen on the Bold more than adequate to Navigate with? Opinions please!

Also, I don't know much about the PlayBook, but is it possible to run VZ Nav on it? I would much rather Navigate on a BB Tablet, anyway, but I'm still naive at this point. I'm also getting married in 2 weeks, and my fiance has mentioned the PlayBook as a possible wedding gift, but if I can't give up the touchscreen smartphone, and after the Adam Zeis review of the Torch 9850, my next device may not be a BlackBerry, so the PlayBook won't be as relevant. What's a lost phone geek to do?
    08-20-11 12:21 AM
    I just received my 9930 on Wednesday and I love it. I came from a Droid X and the only thing I miss is my turn by turn navigation on my Droid X because it's free on android phones. However, I have used Google Maps on my 9930 and I would say it would definitely be useable with VZW navigator even with a smaller screen.

As for the PlayBook, well I'm pretty sure you can install VZ navigator on VZW version of the PlayBook. and that would be awesome to use on it.
    08-20-11 01:02 AM
    No nav on the PB yet, as a workaround I've actually been using phone remote to display Telmap on the PB full screen. It's not ideal at all and is pretty kludgy, but it is easier to see and kind of nice to use the BB for input. Also you need some type of wifi AP if you're going to use this in the car, a MiFi works great for this.

For free nav take a look at telmap, it's a great application and I've heard rumblings it works fine on the 99x0.
    08-20-11 02:47 AM
    I have been paying $10 a month to use VZ Nav. I actually kinda love it. Free always sounds good, but nothing beats VZ Nav for me yet. I just want to make sure if I'm viewing it on the Bold I'm not going to feel screen envy too much...

As for the PlayBook, does Verizon carry it? I thought the only place I could purchase one was Best Buy...
    08-20-11 09:18 AM
    I have been paying $10 a month to use VZ Nav. I actually kinda love it. Free always sounds good, but nothing beats VZ Nav for me yet. I just want to make sure if I'm viewing it on the Bold I'm not going to feel screen envy too much...

As for the PlayBook, does Verizon carry it? I thought the only place I could purchase one was Best Buy...
    Verizon will be releasing a 4G (LTE) version of the PB later this year. That is unless they decide to cancel it like Sprint did just recently!

I think the next version of the PB OS (OS2.0) due in October will make major changes and bring the PB into the front of the small Tablet pack once and for all! (Here's Hoping for a RIM win for once!)
    08-20-11 09:33 AM
    No nav on the PB yet, as a workaround I've actually been using phone remote to display Telmap on the PB full screen. It's not ideal at all and is pretty kludgy, but it is easier to see and kind of nice to use the BB for input. Also you need some type of wifi AP if you're going to use this in the car, a MiFi works great for this.

For free nav take a look at telmap, it's a great application and I've heard rumblings it works fine on the 99x0.
    There's no Telmap showing up on AppWorld under Navigation for the OS7 phones. Is that a USA capable app?
    08-20-11 09:35 AM
    Ultimately, I think a Verizon 4G Blackberry Bold and Playbook combo that includes turn-by-turn on the PB (not to mention everything else it can do and will be able to do) would completely satisfy me. I would be able to welcome the display size that accompanies the physical BlackBerry QWERTY again, and the PB in its current form and size would accommodate me with a display that equals more than I "need" from any personal mobile device, and then some....I really hope they don't abandon the portable tablet size factor for something resembling an iPad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 08:06 PM

X2...Worked great on my tour and works on my 9930 as well. Great app and it keeps getting better.

There are some times that I've found it can provide some misleading directions, but as long as you have some sense where you are at, you can figure it out....I also like that if you detour for whatever reason, it retraces your route and gives you updated directions...All while it's speaking to you.

I've been very pleased with this app.
    08-20-11 08:10 PM
    X2...Worked great on my tour and works on my 9930 as well. Great app and it keeps getting better.

There are some times that I've found it can provide some misleading directions, but as long as you have some sense where you are at, you can figure it out....I also like that if you detour for whatever reason, it retraces your route and gives you updated directions...All while it's speaking to you.

I've been very pleased with this app.
    x3...There really isn't a reason to worry about the smaller screen. When I used VZ Nav on my Tour, I mostly relied on the audio voice for upcoming turns. The screen is big enough to quickly glance at the remaining distance though.
    08-20-11 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD