Hey guys ans gals, just got my 9900 and love it. I want to protect this baby asap and was looking at the otterbox commuter.

but the prob is I wanna read some reviews or even pics before I do the goahead and purchasing it.

thank you CB nation!
    08-18-11 01:27 PM
    I would say check out reviews for previous OtterBox cases for BB devices. I have used OtterBox before, solid cases. Not sure yet what case options I am going to get for my 9930. I like the holster but prefer the pouch, but want my phone covered on the sides and back. So its a touch question.
    08-18-11 01:56 PM
    I should probably start by saying I work at a store devoted to cellular accessories, so I've seen a lot of cases. I'm waiting on my order of 9900's, but I managed to snake a commuter from a sister store for mine.

Size: It definitely adds a little size, but not a lot. It reminds me of the old 9000 size without a case on it. Personally I feel less like I'm going to drop it.

Usage: Unlike some of the commuters for other phones, it seems to give the keys enough birth to actually use them without clipping the edge. Commuters aren't generally bad for that, but I found on my 9700 I did sometimes. Buttons on the rubber for camera etc. are really nice, and actually feel like buttons. I'm finding its actually easier to hit the lock button with it on.

Appearance: The inner silicone only really peaks out on the corners, and the plastic shell covers the majority of it. The plastic actually seems smoother than predecessors. I don't find it overly slippery, but I can see that being a complaint.

Ports: Covers for the charge port and headphone jack are different that the older models as well. Instead of being cut into the rubber, which usually ends up tearing, even with light use, it has a groove that it folds back into, with the plastic circling it. I feel like i should have a picture but what it boils down to is the tabs aren't getting caught on anything pulling it in and out of the pocket.

Screen: Has the screen protector to stick straight on the screen as well, nice basic protector. Hasn't hurt the touch sensativity, at least that I've noticed. I'll be upgrading to a zagg one soon as I can get my hands on it personally, just because I prefer them, but the one it comes with should be enough for a while.

Other Thoughts:

- It does have a little more fight in it putting it on than previous models, but it also didn't seem to catch or snag on the silicone like older models tend to.
    - It doesn't seem to interfere with the camera at all, but I haven't really used the video cam or anything on it.
    - It won't fit in the pouch the phone came with, (assuming they all come with the same one). Taking a quick look, none of the older OEM pouches will work, even the 9000 its a bit to short to close.

All and all it feels a nice case. I haven't had it long enough to really see any negatives, but so far it feels great. It really feels like the stepped up on the production quality of the commuters on the 9900 as well.

(Hopefully it all makes sense, I'm at work, and typing between customers)
    Last edited by SpikeXX; 08-18-11 at 02:53 PM.
    bahias, andy957 and lindajm22 like this.
    08-18-11 02:37 PM
    Thank you very much for the review! I had the commuter case for my 9700 and loved it hopefully this will be the same.

by any chance can you plz post pics?
    08-18-11 02:45 PM
    No Problem
    Only cam I have right now is on my phone, so can't really show it off in there, but here's the case..

Plug Covers

Camera button...

Lock Button

bahias and BMizracha like this.
    08-18-11 03:21 PM
    I picked one up the other day too. Loving it right now! It was a little tough to get on but apparently it gets easier over time. I actually find the lock button a little harder to push, but not to the point where it gets annoying.

I feel the commuter is the perfect otterbox. The impact looks like too little protection and I saw the defender at the store and it is MASSIVE.

I definitely recommend the commuter.
    08-18-11 03:50 PM
    I plan on using a charging pod for my desk and also on my night stand. How are are these to take on and off assuming they don't work with a charging pod? I have not used one in the past so I appreciate the input before I buy.
    08-18-11 04:01 PM
    You have to take them off before using the charging pod. Takes a bit of time to get the on and off at first but I have been told by others that after doing it a few times, it gets easier and people say they can get it on and off in less than 10 seconds.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    08-18-11 04:07 PM
    Hmm, I might have to grab this
    08-18-11 07:21 PM
    You have to take them off before using the charging pod. Takes a bit of time to get the on and off at first but I have been told by others that after doing it a few times, it gets easier and people say they can get it on and off in less than 10 seconds.
    Thank you. I just order one, but it looks like it won't arrive until the end of next week. I will let everyone know how it is when I get it.
    08-18-11 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD